Tengu's great adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So, now my BD is 16 months old and she is at 42cm long and 355g. We believe she is fully grown and would like some advice on feeding.

Currently she gets fresh salad every day and 20 L size crickets once a day. Should we now start decreasing the amount of crickets? She LOVES them of course and salad is like a "Do I have to eat it?"

So any advice at the age she is at etc?

Thank you in advance

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You too, 400g, that's great! I have 2 dragons, my 1 1/2 yr old brother Nathaniel and sister Cierra that are already brumating. Nathaniel's been asleep for 4 weeks now and Cierra up and down for 3. They'll be up on Sunday for baths, then they'll probably go back to sleep, I leave it up to them what they want to do. This is the earliest I've ever had a beardie brumate, it's kind of strange to see this happening end Aug, beg of Sept. Hopefully that means they'll be up for the winter. My oldest, Leo, wants to sleep but he's being checked for low protein intake, so he's not allowed to hide. He just sleeps under his light after being fed. They have strong instincts on what to do in the fall/winter.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi again

Well Tengu has no interest in sleeping.....yet! Actually she loves to sleep on her hammock a lot but no sign of brumation yet!

Today was weigh in day and it was after her number two business and she has only gained 4g since last week which is odd as she eats most of her veg lately and all her daily 25 L size crickets. She just finished her shed as well.
So my question to you is this; do they put less weight on as quickly as they get bigger and older or because maybe last time I weighed her it was before number two business and this time after. There must be at least 20g there!! LOL

Thank you

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They gain differently as they age, but I wouldn't worry about it. If she wants more crickets, offer her more. They all kind of slow down at this time of year, even if they don't brumate, they're just not as active. She's eating well and is gaining weight, so no concerns until she starts losing. Then you can supplement her with a mix I make up for mine when they don't eat well. I always keep some on hand, just in case. It's called Carnivore Care and I buy it from my vet. It's a protein meal replacement. I mix it up with butternut squash babyfood and bee pollen. You can also add calcium and vit/min powders as you'd add if you were dusting a meal.

But she's not to that point yet and may not ever get to that point. Even if she's not gaining as much as she was, it's all normal as long as she's pooping well, getting her baths & eating some of her greens, veggies.

Any concerns, let me know, k?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
WOW you know a lot!!!

Great! I will be sure to let you know if anything odd starts to happen!

Bath time......... that is an issue because she HATES IT!!!!! I cannot even express her hate for them!! She hisses, black beard, whips tail which never ever happens otherwise. Water temp is perfect, it is not deep at all, she has a towel under her for support but no she really hates it so I don't bath her often as I don't want to stress her out over it.
Any thoughts on this? I do give her water through a syringe and she laps it up if she wants it so hydration wise she is fine as well as getting water from veg.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well, still bath her twice a week, but other wise give her water by syringe, that's what I do for mine and it works really well when they're really thirsty. She gets water through her bugs and her veggies, too, so it all works out. Try that, see if it works for her. Poor sweetie, hating her baths. You might want to put more water in her baths. I put water up to their armpits and they've learned that baths aren't so bad. Maybe put a rock in her bath, too, so she has something to hold onto. A friend of mine's dragon hated baths until she put her hand under his belly and he was fine after that. So a few things you can do, the towel might not be enough for her to feel comfortable. I bathe mine in the double kitchen sink I have. Would that work for her, too?

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
:D :D :D :D made me smile because she is such a monster with bath time. Rock..... she used it as a platform to jump off and out............

Hand underneath.......... she ran up arm to shoulder, down back and legged it into the kitchen! LMAO

Deeper water made her worse.

So yeh she HATES BATH!!! Honestly I do not think there is anything I can do for her with that. It is such a shame.

Saying that, I forgot to say the only thing and I mean the only thing that worked was feeding her a few crickets while in the bath! That seemed to take her focus of the water and onto food. They are defrosted so no worries for them. I really wanted to look for another way but I believe it is the only way with her. She is watching me right now! She knows!! :shock: :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hey if it works to feed her while in her bath, go for it! That way she's getting more food and getting hydrated at the same time. Wonderful idea! Keep doing that but up the baths to 3x a week, that's more than enough for good hydration.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Will do!

let you know how that goes.
She is currently on her hammock claws and tail hanging down..... TOO CUTE!!!!!

Thanks!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That was interesting!!!

For a while I have been trying to teach her to climb onto my hand out of her tank when it is cricket time. If she doesn't I grab her and put her on my shoulder.
Today I decided to bath her and of course of all days she climbs out of tank onto my hand! So i took her to the bath/sink and in she goes and she didn't freak out and I gave her some crickets while bathing her. Suddenly she stopped eating and did her number two business which was great and then got back to eating. Then she stopped and realized she was in the bath! LOL so I rinsed her down and took her out and then she took some more crickets.

It wasn't a bad experience and she was a million times better then usual, but her face when she realized was priceless! Now she is giving me the "beardie stare" lets see what happens next bath time! Or if she climbs onto my hand again or thinks "hmmm last time....." LOL

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi there

LOL it was a funny stare!! The following day she did climb onto my hand, but with a little more caution! LOL So I took her outside to catch some rays :)

I look forward to when we move house so we can get another one. There is one at a pet shop and I really want to rescue it. I say rescue it because its so sad :,( He is quite big and the tank is tiny and I mean tiny. His tail is so short and stumpy, nothing to hide under or climb or well..... nothing and he is near the floor so all he sees is feet. A few of his toes are broke and he doesn't look well :(

The thing that really gets me is because he isn't selling they have a sticker in the tank saying you can have the tank for free.... WOW thanks!!! A tank that I wouldn't put my 5 cm goldfish into. They wont reduce the price of the beardie and it makes me so sad and angry at them. The only reason I cant get him is because the power in my apartment is cr@@@@p and it blows out all the time and no way would it handle another set of lights.

Sad story

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's always sad to watch pet shops mistreating dragons. I've gotten 2 rescues from my local pet shop. The first Titan got sick with Yellow Fungus (awful disease) and he passed away Dec/13 at 1 1/2 yrs old. I tried my best, but he was just too sick.

My second rescue is doing really well, his name is Gabriel and he's a big beardie now
Here he is asleep on his logs
11887-7761946059.jpg
He was 1/2 the size that he is now, he was covered in sand and had been abandoned at the pet shop by his owners. He was in a 5 gallon tank when I found him and bought him the next day, took him straight to the vet. He was full of parasites but within 3 mo he was healthy and gaining weight. Now he's a big fellow who loves to sit in the sun and snuggle with me :D He's 4 1/2 yrs old now, rescued him in April 2012.

I'm glad you got Tengu out in the sunshine, does them alot of good when you can do that.

I'm sorry you can't get that beardie out of the pet shop. After going to the same pet shop for 9 years for crickets, I managed to educate them a bit on how to take care of dragons and they've been alot better about it lately. Enough that I've stopped complaining!

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What a beast!!! LOl

If I could speak Japanese well enough I would be complaining all day long!!

Last night Tengu jumped onto her foliage (not sure why) but it dropped because of her weight! She was okay so i out it back lower and also it looked like shelter for her so I thought hmmmm.

Last night as I suspected she would, she slept under it with the leaves on her head! It was beyond cute and this morning she was still there but eye open looking at me!

This is something I wanted to ask you. With her veggies if they have vitamin powder on them (white) she eats them all if they don't have powder on them she doesn't eat them all or even shows interest! So is that because the vitamin powder is yummy? It is weird!!

And yes i take her outside everyday or every other day to get some sun while it is still hot over here. I worry about crows and hawks though so I am always looking around for them.

Actually this morning is weigh day so I am going to do that now..... well that was fun! She is too big for the scales now! and weighing in at an impressive 434g :) took her outside in the sun and she enjoyed that.

Have a good day :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm glad she's gained weight, good for her.

As for powders, I couldn't tell you as I give mine liquid calcium and liquid vit/min. I gave up on powders years ago as I found, as they grew into adulthood, they didn't eat enough to use up all the powders before they expired. The liquids I use expire much later than the powders. But I'm sure that's it. You can put a bit of calcium powder on them on calcium day and a bit on vit/min day, see if that works for her.

I'm glad you're still able to get them out in the sunshine. We had a week of rain but now we've been having sunshine, but still cool outside, so they've been taking their turns on my lazyboy chair in the living room. They don't get alot of sun each, just 1/2 hr, before I have to go to work, but that seems to work for them.

This is Leo (on the left) and Cierra (on the right) sharing the lazyboy in the sunshine. Leo is 8 years old, he's the only male I can trust with Cierra (she's 1 1/2 yrs old) as he doesn't ever want to mate with her like the 3 younger males.
11887-1386160204.jpg

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
haahahahhahahahahha so cute!!!!!!

I notice yesterday and today that she is off her crickets and eating more veg (maybe because of shedding?)

She is currently laying with her head on the rock by basking area. I love the way she is in and out of the heat. I think she is sulking with her hammock as it dropped twice today. I think she has lost trust with it lol, I will but sticky pads tomorrow so it stay up for her.

Do you notice when they are in the sun and you take them out they turn their bodies back towards the sun? is that their way of saying "hey i want to stay there" LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom