Temperature Stability! In & Out Of Tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Here in Georgia we have extreme heat with humidity around 60 to 100% on a regular basis. Keeping our ac set to 70 still leaves our upstairs almost unbearable. If I were to have one enclosure upstairs, the heat would be ridiculous. My sons room is downstairs, having one enclosure in his room made his room feel like a sauna. I didn't mean to start a debate about this issue. I believe that there are a lot of factors such as insulation, ac, and outside temps that should be considered when addressing the topic.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're right Brezzy, there could be a lot of things affecting the temps. Surfbeam, where do you live and do you have AC running now?

Surfbeam

Original Poster
Hello Everyone,

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada!

My enclosure can not be moved any where else in my home, due to the fact my family is scared of it!

The tank is a 36"L x 18"W x 18"H Glass Tank Enclosure with a screened lid, A 10.0 desert UV bulb, A 150 Watt Desert basking bulb!

I Do Have a A/C and it still ( On most ) Days gets unbearably hot!

The Temperatures Are 105 Degrees Fahrenheit, Warm Side Is 90'F, & Cool Side Is 80'F! At Night The Temperatures are 75'F!

I just purchased this tank and my family wasn't too fond over it (Due To The Size)! Saying so, they would never let me get a new tank!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
That still seems odd that it would heat up the home that much.

You probably do not need quite so much heat on the cage, and could decrease it down to 100 watts or use a thermostat with it.

A fan to help circulate the air (especially with an open window) can help, as would using curtains or blocking off the area that the bearded dragon is in. See if you can put a box over the heat light (which will be ugly, but hey, might help) and the top of the cage, to keep the warm air in and to help redirect it back down into the cage.

Good luck, it sounds more like your family is looking for excuses not to keep the bearded dragon.

-Jen

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Smaug's lights DO make it a little warmer in my son's room (but we live in Southeast Louisiana - heat and humidity are awful during this time of year!). To combat it, he turns the ceiling fan on high and uses heavy (but not light-blocking) curtains that help keep the sun (another heat source) out.

You could also try a box/portable fan in that room.

I'm not sure how it would affect a whole floor, though. I'm worried that this is more about their fear, than anything else. :(

MAK

Hatchling Member
I think you should call your family out on their own irrational thoughts... Its just a couple light bulbs... Do they actually think that the light bulbs that they have on in their rooms dont give of any heat at all? Or their tv,s and computers etc? .....

Surfbeam

Original Poster
Hello,

My Tank Is 95 F Basking, 90 F Hot Side, 80 F Cool Side!

My Tank Temperature Is Regular, But My Room Heats Up Too Much!

Is There Any Way To Keep The Heat In The Tank, And Only In The Tank

I Have A Glass Or Acrylic Tank With Screen Top!

Any Help Will Do, Thanks!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What size is the tank, what wattage are the heat bulbs and what type of thermometer are you using?

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
MAK":lqsmnajy said:
I think you should call your family out on their own irrational thoughts... Its just a couple light bulbs... Do they actually think that the light bulbs that they have on in their rooms dont give of any heat at all? Or their tv,s and computers etc? .....

Good points!

And here's the solution...
Replace 2 or 3 light bulbs in your house (same room or floor as the enclosure) with LED bulbs. The reduction of heat in the room, LED's produce less heat than incandescent, halogen etc, will compensate for the added heat of the enclosure...whether real or imagined. :roll:

And you'll be saving your family money since LED's consume much less energy and can last up to 25 years. :D

Surfbeam

Original Poster
diamc":1n5z5mjd said:
What size is the tank, what wattage are the heat bulbs and what type of thermometer are you using?

It's a 36L x 10 x 16H

I use a temp gun

I use a 150 watt heat bulb

Surfbeam

Original Poster
Wolfeden":27bkv1f2 said:
MAK":27bkv1f2 said:

Good points!

And here's the solution...
Replace 2 or 3 light bulbs in your house (same room or floor as the enclosure) with LED bulbs. The reduction of heat in the room, LED's produce less heat than incandescent, halogen etc, will compensate for the added heat of the enclosure...whether real or imagined. :roll:

And you'll be saving your family money since LED's consume much less energy and can last up to 25 years. :D

Funny thing... due that the floor with my enclosure (upstairs) has soo many windows. . We almost never use lights ( other than my bearded dragon's ) so that wouldn't help...

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
I can't see one 150 watt bulb heating an entire floor to an unbearable temp. If that was true, then in the winter time, you wouldn't need any heat at all. You could just put a 150 watt bulb on each floor and have a toasty warm house. I personally think someone is looking for a reason to blame the dragon. I mean I don't know your full circumstance but I will tell you that there is no way that a 150 watt bulb can heat a whole floor in a standard size house. One room, possibly although very slim but 1 whole floor, no way. And the UV tube will put out next to nothing for heat.

Although I will say that a 150 watt bulb running full on without a dimmer in a 3ft cage in the middle of summer is probably cooking your dragon. I run a 160 watt bulb in my 4ft cage for Harley and at the moment I got it dimmed down to about 1/2 to 3/4 power depending if it's overcast here in Seattle or sunny.

Surfbeam

Original Poster
Sauzo":36k01koa said:
I can't see one 150 watt bulb heating an entire floor to an unbearable temp. If that was true, then in the winter time, you wouldn't need any heat at all. You could just put a 150 watt bulb on each floor and have a toasty warm house. I personally think someone is looking for a reason to blame the dragon. I mean I don't know your full circumstance but I will tell you that there is no way that a 150 watt bulb can heat a whole floor in a standard size house. One room, possibly although very slim but 1 whole floor, no way. And the UV tube will put out next to nothing for heat.

Although I will say that a 150 watt bulb running full on without a dimmer in a 3ft cage in the middle of summer is probably cooking your dragon. I run a 160 watt bulb in my 4ft cage for Harley and at the moment I got it dimmed down to about 1/2 to 3/4 power depending if it's overcast here in Seattle or sunny.

Depends where your from! In canada it's not always warm

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, I thought I had read on an earlier post that you were using a digital probe thermometer. 150 watts sounds like a lot for that sized tank. How far away are you holding the gun when checking the temps?

[I merged all 3 of your threads since they were about the same thing to make it easier for you and us to follow. It also helps keep the forum neater]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom