Tank Progress Part 2....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I depends on how happy she is with her tank & how high her furniture is. They can really jump high, I always used the tank tops when they were little. You can still get a fixture to put the reptisun inside the tank, then she'll get 100% of the UVB. And having the basking light through the top won't make a bit difference. If you have it clamped it might be less hot in the tank. I always found 75W was too hot, I always used 60W, but that's up to you. It also depends on how hot it is in the house to begin with. It's very cool weather up here, so don't have to worry about it too much. Talk to Cheryl & Jess about what they do, too, they're a great resource.
Deb

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1gdwh0sy said:
I depends on how happy she is with her tank & how high her furniture is. They can really jump high, I always used the tank tops when they were little. You can still get a fixture to put the reptisun inside the tank, then she'll get 100% of the UVB. And having the basking light through the top won't make a bit difference. If you have it clamped it might be less hot in the tank. I always found 75W was too hot, I always used 60W, but that's up to you. It also depends on how hot it is in the house to begin with. It's very cool weather up here, so don't have to worry about it too much. Talk to Cheryl & Jess about what they do, too, they're a great resource.
Deb
Id rather it be in the tank and so does shane. Then we can get a uvb that is the length of the cage. Jess and Cheryl make uvb hanging things so that would be cool. On her baking rock some spots of the rock is 95, 97, 115, 105, 107 all over weird right? and her cool down side is 74 but we dont have a real uvb , does a uvb help with heat?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If you have a Reptisun 10.0, then no, it doesn't give off any heat. I wouldn't worry about 74, it will heat up as the basking light is kept on. As long as the basking spot doesn't go over 110F you're good. Your baby will let you know anyway, if she keeps going away from the basking spot after eating, then it's too hot. That's another thing you'll have to check with Cheryl. And getting a UVB light long enough to be along the whole back of the tank is the best thing to do. That way, she'll have UVB no matter where she is in the tank. If you want the cool side to be a bit more, then have a lightbulb of 40w on that side, that should bring it up to 80-82. At night you'll turn all the lights off and if the temp is over 70F she'll be good for a good sleep. I always found that putting a facecloth for my babies to sleep on went over very well. Mind you, when they were small they slept on their vine or in their shrub. So you'll find out what she wants to do when you get her, they all have different likes & dislikes.

casper31

Hatchling Member
ChrisMiller":2r2li6cc said:
casper31":2r2li6cc said:
OMGosh!!! What a great idea! I hike all the time out here...I would love to pick up a piece for my girl's home...can I find bleaching instructions online?

Good luck with the sales if you decide to do it...I'm not that ambitious...lol. Love the idea though. I like the more natural, earthy look.

and Stephanie... love the new viv. It looks like a vacation house. :) Can't wait to see pics of your new family addition.

No instructions, but I would just start with normal $0.99 brown bottle peroxide and mix 1 part peroxide to 1 part water and mist the piece with that and let it sit in the sun for a bit. I would also be sure to boil / bake anything like that if you plan to put it in your beardies cage.

Good luck! Are you in the desert too??? Transporting the plants out here is a big no-no but the dead wood can be harvested as long as you have written permission from the land owner. As you can imagine, the desert can use all of the rotting wood possible to enrich the nutrient deprived soil (ha, sand!) so some people want it left alone. ;)

Good luck again!

Yes, I am AZ born and raised. I hike quite often so I would love to get one for Lil' Miss' home. I'm sure one less piece will not create an imbalance in the nutrient rich soil around here. :D I really hope she likes it. It will be a great addition to her home!

Thanks for the instructions!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just love that log, so a smaller piece will work great for your little one. You'll have to take another pic with the new stuff.
Deb

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tank stand for Lilly
Plus its a bigger tank for her :)
2012-04-26135002.jpg

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, the last tank we had was 36''L and 18''W 16''H. We were GIVEN a 36''L x 18''L x 18''H Its only 2'' taller, but made a difference thennnnnn I spent 30 dollars all together trying to find the perfect stand. Then yesterday I found one on craigslist and was like omg I want. So I call the guy up and was like listen I have 20 dollars to my name and I really need your stand for my dragon. He said he will give it to me for free, I was all over that, he live literally 5 mins away from my house, so I went to the house and it happens to be on of my regulars at Starbucks!!! He was like STEPHANIE !!! I was like Don! He even gave me a tv for free lmao, and I pick up a table next week hahah. Small world and the stanf I got for FREEEEEEEEEEE is absolutely perfect. Heres the pic

2012-05-02112236.jpg

2012-05-02112303.jpg

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
You know, you could play it much safer and get a dimmer stat for the basking bulb. That way you can guarantee to get the temps right. It's 99% unheard of to use a heat source without some kind of temperature control on it in the UK. Not sure why you guys don't use them as much across the pond?

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":vduchx1d said:
Very nice! Tiger Lilly will enjoy her new tank for sure!
Thank you Deb!!! I'm glad you like it. We are going to pick her out Saturday uuugghhh i'm so nervous and excited.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'll be looking for lots of pics on Sunday!
I'm sure you're excited, did you get back to Cheryl & Jessica's to visit her again?

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CaptainVimes":42uc63x8 said:
You know, you could play it much safer and get a dimmer stat for the basking bulb. That way you can guarantee to get the temps right. It's 99% unheard of to use a heat source without some kind of temperature control on it in the UK. Not sure why you guys don't use them as much across the pond?
I have one on the way ;)
Lol I don't know why we don't, some houses, apartments, condos have the dimmer lights in the living and dining room. I guess you could always install them. Humm. UK is different from America, You guys are smarter lol. When I get my degree were thinking about moving over seas.

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3vpu1ohy said:
I'll be looking for lots of pics on Sunday!
I'm sure you're excited, did you get back to Cheryl & Jessica's to visit her again?
Saturday is when we actually get to take her off the market, oh there will be pics!!!
Sadly no I haven't has a vehicle the past week, but I got another truck so im back in business but now I have to go back to work 3 days off is not long enough lol
I wonder if were going to be able to take her home or not.

Stephanie923

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Irwinshealth":124wtnhm said:
The new tank set-up and FREE stand look great! How lucky are u? lol :lol:
Usually not so lucky but I have been given a lot of support and encouragement from everyone. People in my area are not really into the non "normal" house pet. So everyone when they find stuff they give it to me :) Plus I hang out with my close regulars and they cant wait until Lilly is here so she can hang out at Starbucks too. Lol I literally get off work go home eat dinner and come back to hang out lol. But I'm really glad everyone likes it. I have been going crazy trying to keep myself busy until she gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom