Talon, Moya, Dargo and Zhaan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a long story to share and not sure where to post it so if I'm in the wrong section please forgive me. Also, there will be pics coming soon!
So, here is our story, a story of 2 sick Beardies. This site has been a God Sent! Anything I did right I learned from here! Some of you may have read about our cl rescues. I posted it in Beardie rescue but don't know how to provide the link. In August my husband and I rescued the 2 sweetest Beardies you could ever know! We named them Talon, {male} and Moya, {female}. They were pretty sick when we got them on the 3rd of August. We took them to a vet, {that mis-sexed our male,} on the 4th of August, They were medicated with 3 different meds, for pin worms, Coccidia and another thing that I can't remember. They took the full course of meds over the month as the vet ordered. The follow up fecal on September 3rd was neg, all "cleared up" per the first vet I took them to.
Thru that month both had appetite issues from being sick and no doubt related to the meds. Talon more than Moya. So, I fed Talon chicken, turkey, squash and applesauce baby food with calcium {and vits added once during that week}. by syringe 3 times a day for a week since he would eat nothing, not one morsel. Moya was eating a bit but also had a very poor appetite so I syringe fed her several times when I didn't believe she had eaten enough. They both were so under weight when we got them. I also gave them both soy yogurt daily since one of the meds was an antibiotic. Slowly he began to eat again, hurray! and her appetite improved. I had always noticed some clicking and popping sounds coming from Moya, and upon listening, also heard it from Talon and in my inexperienced stupidity, I thought it was the sounds they normally made. {Oh, please forgive me my beautiful sick little babies!} Then on Sept. 22 while feeding Talon a small super worm I saw him go to pick one up and clear tan-ish liquid poured from his mouth. It was phlegm. It scared the living daylights out of me! The next day Sept. 23, we took them on an emergency visit to a new vet who was advertised as an experienced exotic/reptile Vet. I hadn't been impressed with the first one. OMG, what a difference! Dr. Keller actually gave them a real physical, going over them both with a fine toothed comb! Unlike the first vet I took them to who held them, pushed on their heads and handed them back, and had a tech check a fecal. Dr Keller checked and moved all of their joints, arms, hands and fingers and legs, feet and toes, and checked their tails too! He checked inside their mouth and looked in their ear holes with a light, he listened to their abdomens and lungs with....are you ready....a stethoscope! He checked their vents. He checked their belly's for constipation and impaction. I told him how we rescued them off of cl and the condition they were in, that they had been seen by another Vet the day after we got them and was medicated for their issues at that time, and had a neg. follow up fecal. I must say that our sweet little babies were excellent at the doctors and tolerated it all without complaint. We hold them several times everyday, play time, snuggle time, treat time, and "don't need a reason to" cuddle time so they both are very comfortable with being handled. Dr. Keller asked all the right questions I would expect a knowledgeable Vet to ask.....enclosure size?......did they have separate enclosures?...... UVB lighting, heat and humidity?....substrate?....diet with greens and live feeders dusted with calcium daily and vits once a week?.....exercise?...... And I told him they get a bath everyday at 9:30 am, and always poo in the bath, and get rinsed in running water of course....lol.....hurray, always clean, spotless enclosure!
OMG! I just can't say enough good about this Doc. As a side note both he and his Vet partner wife had their own Beardies when they were growing up.
Well, both of our beautiful babies had respiratory infections, and probably had had the RI before we got them since I was hearing that clicking in August and the guy that had them before had put them in a damp basement. They both got an injection of Baytril and a script of oral Baytril for 7 days then a recheck on October 3rd. When we went back for the recheck, they still had a few crackles in their lungs so he extended the meds for another week with a recheck in 2 weeks on the Oct.24th. Dr. asked about their bowels due to the antibiotics. I told him I was giving them soy yogurt daily and it was working, no loose or watery stool. I told Dr. Keller Talon was eating very well but Moya was eating nothing at all, that I was syringe feeding her 3 times a day so she wouldn't loose the weight she had gained. He said the Baytril can be very harsh on their GI tract and some Beardies loose their appetite, to continue what I was doing and be sure to offer her feeders and salads daily even though she wasn't eating right now.
We went back for the check up on the 24th. Talon and Moya were both still sick and started to have few fine popping and crackling sounds again. Neither was eating on their own. I had brought a fecal to see if it had anything to do with their poor appetites. They both had tons of pin worms again, and that Coccidia. Dr Keller treated them for it with the meds Albon, Panacur, and continued another 5 days of Baytril. Dr Keller believed their immune systems had been kicked hard by their early non-care and neglect but with all the good and proper care and nutrition they were getting at home now he believed once we could get it all cleared up they would be fine. He doesn't believe at this point it is chronic. So on Nov 7th went back to the vet for check ups. Lungs clear....hurray!.... and fecal neg.....hurray! Talon is eating very well, to well...lol...my fault. He now weighs 540 gms, up from the 120 gm in august, and he is now 17 1/4 inches, but has lost part of his tail, he's my Chubster. Moya weighs 410 gms, up from the 144 gms she weighed in August when we got them, and she is now 16 3/4 inches and also has lost some tail, she is my Little Miss.
Only issue now is Moya's appetite. She still isn't eating anything....nothing! So Dr. Keller checked her all over again and said he felt the bump/lump that tells him she is constipated even though she was passing a tiny amount of stool everyday, I had thought it was tiny because I was feeding her the baby food. So he instructed not to feed her on Tues to see if she could get hungry and stimulate her to eat, warm baths 4 times a day for 20 minutes with very gentle tummy rubs and do it for 48 hours. She had a strange episode in the bath one eve, her 4th bath of the day, she got all dark, almost black all over her whole body and her eyes closed and she started to put her head down, I grabbed her out of the tub, she was limp for about 10 seconds though it seemed like forever, then she perked right back up, put her happy colors on and you'd never know what just happened, What the heck was that? And yes, I'm asking the Vet when we go back Monday. His plan if the warm baths didn't work go to plan B, go back to feeding her baby food like I had been and feed her some baby food applesauce with some olive oil added to it, at least 2 cc's of it and continue the warm baths 4 times a day So I did all that. No BM, so next day I tried one more thing, I gave her about 3 cc's of warm baby prunes, warm baths and tummy rubs. Well, that did it. She cleaned out, so happy she wasn't impacted. But she still is not eating yet. At the last visit Dr. Keller said there is an appetite stimulant he could give her if needed. Well, Monday I'm on my way back to the Vet for her lack of appetite and to see about that stimulant and to ask about that episode she had in the tub, Thank God that hasn't happened again!
Just a note. I am not independently wealthy! The Vet, Dr. Keller, has been so good to us. His office visit for exotics $50 each. He only charged us $50 for the office call for seeing both of them on that first visit and only charged me meds for one but gave me enough for both of them. On all the other visits he has only charged me $25 for the office call, that is seeing and treating both of them. He has only ever charged me meds for one but always given me meds for both of them. He only charged me for 1 fecal though he did both. He's our hero!
So, that is our story. 5 Vet visits in 3 months, and another on Monday. It's been a long 3 months, lots of medications and lots of time and love and finally they are near healthy.
When they crawl up my blouse to my shoulder, wiggling and settling in to snuggle into my neck, when they look up at me and speak with those beautiful eyes, when they always show their happy colors whenever I pick them up, when they don't want to return to their enclosure and hug onto my arm, when they come to the front of their enclosure and sit down patiently waiting for me to pick them up, when they step into my hand to be picked up, when they get a shot at the doctors and run across the exam table and up the front of me to hide under my chin, when they lay sleeping so beautiful and peaceful on my chest, when I look over at my snoozing husbands and one of them is curled up in his neck snoozing too, when they look right at me when I call their name, these and a million other reasons are why I'm in love with them! My husband and I are both retired and we can think of nothing we would rather be doing than being caretakers to these wonderful, sweet, beautiful creatures. We are so very happy we found them, and we are humbled to be able to share their life with them!
I hope you enjoyed our story and it continues.............

I

louby13

Hatchling Member
ah thats a wonderful story im glad they r doing well you will have to put some pics on so we can see the gorge lickle mites xx

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
Wow you are one of the best beardie owners on here! Most are very hesitant to take their beardie to the vet for the price. And since u are new to beardies even better. They will have a great life with you and you husband taking care of them.

Beautiful story!

~Haley

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks and I'm so glad you enjoyed our story. I know it was long winded but I know the only people
who could ever appreciate or understand would be here. Talon, our Chubster and Moya, our Little Miss
are so much joy and fun everyday! It has been a long road back to recovery for them, they were tough
little troopers thru it all! This site has been my Beardie Bible. I've read info from so many wonderful and
caring people in every section on here. I never fail to learn something. As I said in the story, the stuff
we did right, {the do's and don't's, their houses, uvb, only Repitsun 10, and heat lights, humidity, diets,
calcium and vits. baths for hydration, pedialyte, baby food when they aren't eating on their own, syringe
feeding, soy yogurt for antibiotics.....and so much more} I have learned here. And we found a remarkable,
caring and knowledgeable Vet. The Vet was very happy with our husbandry and I gave all the credit to beardedDragon.org.
I'm a retired nurse, for people....lol....so maybe it was natural for me to nurse our precious beardies back
to health. But, I didn't do it alone, I had this site and a fantastic Vet!
I'm old...well older....lol....I still use an "old fashioned" 35mm camera, with film and don't have a scanner,
got to wait for my son to scan and send them to me. I'm waiting for our pics and can't wait to show off our
precious babies. They are absolutely beautiful!
Bye for now....pics soon!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I love your story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I'm so glad they found you and have a chance at a real loving and caring life now. Can't wait to read more of their story as time goes on, and can't wait to see some pictures.

-Kaleen

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, we went back to the Vet today to get the appetite stimulant.
Moya still won't eat anything so I'm still syringe feeding her. She is
starting to act sick again. Poor girl has been sick since I got her.
I'm so worried about her! :cry: Sometime I cuddle her and the
tears quietly fall. She has slowed down again, a bit listless but still
basking and moving around her house. She also has been getting dark
over her entire body for short periods of time, usually lasts only a few
minutes but goes away quickly when I pick her up. I've checked everything
in her house and all seems fine.When I walk near her house and she sees me,
she runs to her door and wants me to pick her up. I do frequently and she
doesn't want to go back in she just wants to lay on my chest, or in my neck
and I know she doesn't feel good. She snuggles down and naps but I know she
needs her uvb light so I hold her for a while then put her back, then hold
her a while again later and put her back again. Dr. Keller said we will try
this appetite stimulant and If I don't see an improvement in her and her
appetite within 48 hours he's putting her in the hospital and doing some
tests starting with x-ray and blood work. All her requirements are met per
this site. I'm going to run down my husbandry. If anyone notices something
wrong PLEASE, PLEASE tell me so I can fix it.
Her house is a modified armorie. It's over 3 feet long, 39" and 2 feet deep, 24" {Is that
big enough?} I have Reptisun 10 tube, inside with nothing blocking it, about
6 to 8 inches from her basking. a regular light bulb for basking, bask temp
checked with probe thermometer which is on continuously. I've jacked
up bask temp to 103 for the past while since she has been sick since I got
her, night temp at 80 to 82 or so, keeping her warm at night with CHE.
Humidity at around 34 to 38, Her substrate is soft fake grass and fleece fabric,
easy to change and wash. She gets a bath everyday at 9:30am for hydration
for about 15 minutes or so til she poos. she gets a rinse under warm running
water and usually wrapped in a warm towel from the dryer for a little while.
She hardly ever poos in her house, and when she does it's cleaned up immediately.
I follow the beautiful dragon nutritional list. She prefers mustard green as her
staple but will also eat collards. When she is eating she gets fresh salad
daily. She gets calcium dusted super worms for her live food as she won't eat
crickets anymore. I lightly dust the salad with the calcium because not much calcium
stick to the worms, only in their segment cracks. She also gets occasional dusted
Dubia roach nymphs as my son has a colony for his 4 dragons. I follow a 5 weekday
calcium, on Saturday is Calcium with D3, on Sunday are Vits. I have reptical for calcium
and Flukers vits. I have never given her any meal worms but have occasionally given
her wax worms for a treat. She has her own house as does our other dragon Talon
{who gets the same treatment and is doing fantastic}. I'm so very worried about
her! :cry: :cry: :cry: Keep her in your thoughts.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank setup sounds great, so there shouldn't be any problems with that. Do you use a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures?
How close is the Reptisun 10 tube bulb to her & is there any screen in between her & the light?
The Flukers vitamins, how often do you use them? What is in the vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin D?

Which antibiotic has she been on? What is the dose she has been on & do you use any probiotic right now?
Do you have any pictures of her right now?
Continue to assist feed her so she doesn't miss out on food & nutrition. You could try some bee pollen to help with her immune system. You can find that at a local health food store pretty easily.
Has her beard been dark at all? Do you know what her approximate age is?

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I think you are doing everything you can for Moya. I hope she gets better. It might be a good idea to have your vet do some blood tests and stuff. I think something else is wrong with her that your male doesn't have.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,
You don't know how happy I am to see you here and have you checking this out. Thanks so much!
I use a digital probe thermometer placed on her basking rock, it's on continuously and positioned
so that I can see it.
Yes I use the Reptisun 10.0 tube, it's inside her house about 6 to 8 inches from her basking spot with
nothing blocking full exposure.
I wrote the wrong Vits. I checked and I don't have Flukers, it's Herptivite brand that I have. I bought
a huge container and split it with my son for his dragons and he has the store container, I have my half
in another container labeled with the name but not the vit. content. Sorry.
About the Bee Pollen, I read on here somewhere about your advice to another member about the Bee Pollen and I got some in
October and put some in her food a few times but wasn't really sure how often to use it so I have occasionally
added some to her food, maybe a few times a week as I fed her.
This is Moya's med history since I got her August 3rd. The first Vet was on visit August 4th, Vet wanted
me to feed and hydrate her for 3 days before starting the meds.
August 7th thru 13th Metronidazole 0.07ml 1x daily and I gave her soy yogurt daily 4 to 5 hours after
the Metronidazole dose {since I couldn't find the bene bac.} Also in August starting the 7th she was
on Albon 0.15 ml 1x daily for 5 days then every second day for 4 weeks. and Panacur 0.035 1x a week
for 4 weeks. I don't know the strengths of any of these med, it wasn't on the bottles but she weighed
144 gms and was 13 3/4 long at the time. On Sept. 24th to vets for RI. put on Enrofloxacin {Baytril}
2.27mg/ml and give 0.1 ml 1xdaily. x 7 days. She was 322 gms at that time. Recheck on October
3rd. still has RI but improving. Enrofloxacin continued another 7 days, same dose. Recheck in 2 weeks
on October 23rd. At recheck still RI but almost gone and fecal checked showed lots of pin worms and
Coccidia, { see thread.} Dr. continues Enrofloxacin for 5 days and put on Panacur .25ml 1xdaily for 3 days
and Albon 0.5ml for 5 days then every other day til recheck on Nov. 7th. at recheck on Nov 7th, lungs clear,
RI apparently gone. I always gave her soy yogurt once a day while on the Enrofloxacin. She has had no
appetite since mid October. and I've been feeding her by baby food by syringe 2 to 3 times a day. She
weighed 410 gms and was 16 3/4 inches long at the Nov. 7th appointment. Dr mentioned possible appetite
stimulant since she wasn't on her own yet but thought she might be constipated so did a regiment for that,
see thread, no appetite inprovement so on Nov 15th He put her on the appetite stimulant Metronidazole
25mg/ml give 0.4 mg 1x daily for 5 days. then return for recheck if not eating at which time he will then
hospitalize her for x-rays and blood work. This is day 3, no improvement in her appetite and she is acting
more listless and tired. I have not been giving her soy yogurt with this appetite stimulant. She is now turning
dark all over her body for a few minutes at a time for several times a day for the past few days but then
lightens back up to her norm, her beard doesn't especially turn black but does when she turns so dark all over.
I'm not waiting the 5 days, I'm taking her to the Vet in the morning for the hospitalization, x-rays and blood work.
On the Nov. 7th visit the Vet and I had talked about the possibility of her immune system being in jeopardy due
to the poor and no care she got when she was so little. but at that point he didn't think so. Now I wonder???
Oh, and don't know how old she is, the last owner was vague about when he got her as a hatch-ling, he said it
might have been in January or February so maybe she is 10-11 months old. I know some of this is more info than
you asked for and sorry it's so long.
I'll be waiting on pins and needles for the tests to be done tomorrow and hope to get some results tomorrow too.
I'm so scared for my Little Miss Moya. I love her so much!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you beardie parents. I appreciate your comment.
I'm taking Moya to the Vet for hospitalization tomorrow.
He said he wants to do x-rays and blood work and whatever
other tests seem prudent.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
OMG.....Moya ate 1 small dubia roach nymph. It's the first thing she has eaten on her own
in about 3 weeks. Maybe the appetite stimulant is working, but we are still on or way to
the Vet/hospital at 11:45 this morning for x-rays and blood work since she continues to act very
sick. This morning is the first morning she has not got up to her basking spot, she instead went
into her hide and layed with her head down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom