taking on another beardie ... choices choice ahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Either do any of us, we're all just glad that Em was able to grab her and bring her home and look at the result of all her hard work :love5: :love5:

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
First off ... WOW look at Titan! Hes quite the dashing dragon! i can see where the burnt part has sloughed off with shedding, thats amazing! its exciting! Deb, i just dont get how and why something like that can happen. the only thing i can think of is coming into contact with an overhead bulb and getting stuck there for some time, not being able to get away from it ... or an very high massive spiked temperature in a basking area?

he looks amazing, and i like the belly action going on!!!
i love the pictures!
i wish Blue liked impatients still. She might, idk, she took some impatient petals when she was a baby from my hand, i had a plant for her outside on the deck, but not since. she just is super picky about where and when she eats anything really.
i think ill try to give her some in her viv this year. :) maybe she will eat them in there if i put some petals in there.

And Gabriel ... that picture of him ... he just gets me! i love him! hes sooooooo CUTE!
i love the pictures! all of them!
you are running low on room! you should get a grant from the government and open up some sort of rescue center!
could you imagine ... what a fulfilling and yet at times a very sad job that would be. it would be both. i think i would genuiley love to do that. After going through what ive gone through with Lexi ... its worth it all a million times over.
And you have gone through it with more than one dragon ... so you more than anyone know that "feeling" you get when you look at them.
ANYHOW (before i get all emotional) ... thank you for the pics!
they are great :)
i sometimes think of your boys as my boys too, bc they are the only male dragons in my life technically! :) :)
ive got the gift of girls, youve got the blessing of boys!

the cutest face in the world :)
DRAGON5_zps60936d08.jpg

the one and only BLUE! my big baby girl :)
DRAGON6_zpsd90461ac.jpg

gaping in the sunnnnnnnn sun sun
DRAGON7_zpsf8d897f5.jpg

heyyyyyyyy mom. whats on the menu for today?
DRAGON8_zps5e8b365c.jpg

its a sunny day in May :)
DRAGON16_zpsb41d478c.jpg

i dont know how she gets in out from under this, but she does. she pretty much loves it under there.
DRAGON9_zps2b6ab842.jpg

sooo sometimes i feed her there :lol:
DRAGON10_zpsc6baf1d0.jpg

bahahahahahahahaha :laughhard:
DRAGON17_zpsef05e20a.jpg

on her way to see her two favorite boys
DRAGON13_zpsb39da2e5.jpg

YAY! her boys!
DRAGON14_zps7d8efb18.jpg

Hi! Im kinda awesome :)
DRAGON15_zps89644f2f.jpg

overhead BLUE May 2013
DRAGBLUE_zps1c1b33b4.jpg

overhead LEXI May 2013
DRAGLEX_zps98552220.jpg

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oriheme

awwwwww, sorry we had you in tears!!! thank you for your kind words! im really sorry youre rescue didnt make it. All we can do is try, ya know? Thank you for reading Lexi's journey! hopefully it will keep getting better and better :) :)
she says hi to you! :) :blob5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks for all the compliments, you can consider my boys yours anytime! I think of Blue and Lexi as my girls, too, even though I won't have any more girls in my home, I've lost too many, 4 in all, and you know Sweetie's story, so boys it is! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics of Titan and I'm still scratching my head over how you burn a beardie's head as badly as Titan's was burned, not to mention the left side of his face, eye, ears and spikes! He's back at the vet on Saturday, parasties are back, and his eye is giving him trouble, when he sheds his eye, some of it won't come off, so I'm hoping my vet can help me with that. He keeps closing his eye and I know it's because some of the retained shed is bugging it.

The pics are awesome, love all the ones of Blue, especially the ones of her poking her head out of that basket and sleeping along the side of it. and the overhead ones, what a difference in Lexi, amazing! Her tail is so thick and she has filled out sooo much, it's an amazing difference. You have done so well with her.

I've always wanted to open a rescue, sanctuary, but I have no funds to do so or space. I retire in 7 1/2 yrs (yes, I'll be 65, can't wait to not have to go to work every day, it's an hr travel each way) and want to get a little dog, just a thought, but then again, I might just still have lots of dragons. I can't believe that my boys are getting on...Lonzo is already 10, Didi is 7, Leo is 6 or maybe older and my baby Rubio is going to be 5 yrs old this summer! Time sure flies.

The big news, not sure if I told you, is my son and d-i-l are having a boy end July/beg August, so I'm going to be a grandma! It's starting to hit me now as the time is getting so close!

So thanks for the update and the pics, love, love, to get pics of your girls :love5: :love5:
Take care
Deb

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Oh Em, Blue and Lexie look so wonderful! Such nice fat tails and they look so happy!
How is your summer going?

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey Miss Esther!!!

thank youuuuuuuu ... im so proud of Lexi! Im a little worried about Blue, i mean she's always been a super laaaaaaazy daisy beardie, but she is awfully sluggish lately and not much of an appetite. the past 2 weeks, the only thing that gets her going is a bath (she loves baths) and its the only way i can get her to be active and the only way i can really get her to bask. She will eat a few supers a week, not a day, but a week. and she will take only a few pieces of greens/week.

shes not losing weight that i can tell, BUT, it just might be her age, shes NOT old by any means but as she has become an adult her appetite has continually changed/decreased and i THINK thats normal, but i dont think its normal for her to eat sooooo little. So its past normal to me.

Maybe im used to Lexi eating ALLLLLL the time, so in comparison to her, Blue seems like she eats nothing.
i took her her favorite hide out, but she just hangs out on the cool side now instead of her hide.

She brumates usually from September/October - Feburary/March every year ... so its not brumation.
i think i might take her for a check up this week. Just to clear my mind and of she does have parasites or something going on i can take care of it.
her poops do look good, idk ... it might just be her mega laid back lazy personality but i still think something is off.

my summer has officially started!!! Our last day of school was Friday. How is yours going?? is school out?!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I would listen to your intincts and take her to the vet. At least then you get a 2nd opinion and don't drive yourself crazy!

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hey guys!

here are some recent pics of Lexi, and with it being summer i was able to get inside shots of her mouth, so yall can finally see the hole ive been talking about ... Lexi says HIIIIIIIIII. she needs a nail trim, i swear ive never seen a dragons nails grow SO fast, the just got them trimmed like 2 weeks ago! Her appetite AND Blues appetite have decreased over the last 2 weeks ... im so confused. :dontknow: i will figure it all out though ...

yellow bone, then towards the from of the mouth on that jawbone line, is the hole.
alexi7_zpsb50976b3.jpg

so you see a bunch of yellow (thats jaw bone) and the end you see a blank spot, that is the hole. the dreaded hole that so much goes into. i had just drained it, but you can see a little bulge underneath it on her jaw where the sac fills up. it gets really full and i push it up and it come out the hole.
alexi6_zpsac675ae6.jpg

im awesome, i know it ...
alexi1_zps478fa6e4.jpg

RAWR~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alexi_zpse826364a.jpg

just came in from outside, feelin good good good
alexi3_zps0cb4de55.jpg

alexi8_zpsd08923cc.jpg

time to go to bed
alexi4_zps19fa42ad.jpg

goodnite moon, goodnite stars .... :wave: :love5: :wave:
alexi5_zps58550014.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She looks awesome and I can see the hole you're talking about. Will it ever heal up, you think?

She looks so comfy outside and yes, she's is awesome, it's wonderful to see her outside, getting around. I noticed that her arms are improving, too. You're done such a great job with her. She is no longer at all the dragon you brought home :D :D

As for appetites, I don't know. Didi is refusing to eat any bugs, so I force feed her & Lonzo (he hasn't eaten bugs on his own since September). I put one of them on my chest, open their mouth with the tip of my nail and pop a super in there, chew, chew, chew and it's gone. So I do this every other day with both of them. The only bug that Didi will eat on his own is a white super, sometimes. The others are eating ok, but only Titan is eating every, every day. Sometimes I think the heat has an effect on their appetites, too, which is why I always feed them in the am when it's cooler. That's all I can think of, unless Blue has parasites, you were going to have her tested, any result from that?

So hopefully, as summer progresses, they'll get their appetites back.
My crew say hi to you, Lexi and Blue!
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
deb! :) :)

so some of your boys are eating weird too?
i'm starting to wonder if i got Lexi hooked on supers. she used to LOVE her dubia, but then when i kept forgetting to order them and used supers from the pet shop, maybe she got addicted ... i also THINK she like the way they move better ... the dubia can be real fast and she jerks her head back and forth like "woah!" and the supers tend to be an easier catch for her.
who knows! ill go get soem supers when i get back from vacation and see how it all works out.
Blue loves dubia ... but she is just sleeping and lazing the days away. i have an appointment for her next week.

its wierd, she will once in a while get AMPED to see her blue bowl with dubia in it, she eats a few then closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.
im going to give her some BeneBac before i leave. i just dont kowwwwwwww.

im SO glad to hear Titan is chowing down everyday!!!! how is he?? how is his burn?? i think about him often.
Lex was eating every day - every other day like a BEAST for sooooo long, that this little break in her eating pattern has kinda weirded me out.
and Blue wouldn't eat every day, but when she did eat, SHE ATE BIG TIME.
they are just confusing me.

SO how is my special boy Gabriel?? ;)
Im sorry about Lonzo .... i know that you try so hard with him, he must love you to pieces. I force fed Lexi 2 dubia yesterday, she cant chew well so that did go over well.

as far as the hole, no, i dont think it will ever close up. its gotten a TEENY bit bigger, im trying raw honey rubbed on her gums and bone to hopefully regenerate some kind of skin cell growth.
i just think her mouth is at the point where it is as good as its going to get ... its unfortunate, and i wonder if its bothering her more so now and thats why she isnt eating, its just a guessing game as you know all too well!!!
i will def update when i get back ... i miss my babies!!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Em, you mentioned that you miss your girls, are you on vacation?

Didi is the weird one, I'm having to force feed him, too, or he wouldn't eat at all, same as Lonzo. Not sure why they're like this, but they're healthy. Gabriel has started this too, if I don't put worms in his mouth, he won't eat them. He also gained a lot of weight without eating much, have to wait to get him to the vet, too and he's got little spasms happening on the bottom of his belly and I just caught it happening at the base of his tail. So I'm not sure what's going on with him, he doesn't move around much and naps a lot, too, just like Blue, but he's not even 3 yrs old. So I'm going easy on feeding him supers and mainly giving him collard greens and squash (which he loves). I have to get the car looked at b4 I can put $ back into a vet visit, so it will be August. Leo is still getting his meds for mouth rot, but every other day, so he's getting his other liquids & food on the day he doesn't get his meds. Titan is still getting panacur weekly, his poops are getting better, which is great and he's growing like a weed.

As for supers, I don't think they're addictive, for my crew it's just the best bug I can get them (I hate crickets). Only Didi will eat the occasional roach, not touching the colony as I'm waiting for the babies to grow into juvies for Titan, who's now eating 20 worms a day, plus a big salad daily. He's now 17 1/2" long and I'm sure he's close to 400g, but my scale broke, so one day have to get another one that weighs in grams.

Rubio is eating ok, he and Leo will eat worms out of a dish if presented to them, which is good, but still hand fed for greens and squash. It's really hot over here, It's 7p and it's 85F in my apartment and even hotter outside, so fans are on and windows wide open and the boys lights turned off early, as this heat wave is going on for a week at least. (I don't do well in heat, I'm a cool weather Canadian girl :lol: so take lots of cool showers.)

I've included a pic of Didi sitting on this little toy couch that I found, it's hilarious, he looks like a wealthy man taking a break! And added a few others, too!

So, for Blue, going to the vet is a good idea, especially if she just isn't acting as usual. Is it hot in your area, would the heat be bothering her? And Lexi is doing well, I wouldn't worry about supers for her, if they're easier to catch and eat, they do have fat in them, but I know beardies need fat to keep up their weight; my gang have been eating supers for 7 years without any issues, in fact, if Lonzo doesn't get his 40-50 per week, he loses weight like crazy.

First, though, a pic of Rubio. He sat on my lap like this last night for 20 min, watching me type, checking out the screen, so cute!

So a pic of Gabriel and Titan in the impatients, getting some sun. These two are together a lot, Gabriel doesn't even beard Titan at all, it's unbelievable as the others would fight each other in a split second.

Now, Didi, the ultimate lounge lizard, I swear he just needs a tux and cigar!

And here are a couple of pics of Titan & Rubio in their baths, so show you the difference in sizes:
Rubio:

Titan: (you can get a good idea of what his head looks like now, it's slowly improving)

I didn't think you'd mind the pics, thought they'd make you laugh!
Let me know what the vet has to say about Blue, k?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Em, I just realized that it's been awhile since you updated on your girls, how have you all been?
I got all my dragons pictures sent for the calendar, which was an effort, 6x2 pics, 6 emails. But it's done!

Titan, my newest dragon, has a skin infection from the burns on his head, but he's healing ok, saw the vet yesterday, he was on injections for 3 weeks but we don't have to continue with those, now Betadine still on some of the spots and an antibiotic gel on top of that. See the vet in 3 weeks again to see how he's healing. He's a trouper, though, and doing really well, considering. Starting him on Serrepeptase today as I know he's in a bit of pain.

So update, please, hope all is well & that you had a good summer.
Take care
Deb

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hi yall!!

its me and Lex and B ... coming on to tell you whats been going on lately!!!

I was REALLY hesitant to let Lexi brumate, but she was acting like she really wanted to, and i caved in. i let her sleep deep for about 1 month. Then i kinda caved in and woke her up out of brumation. which i dont do with Blue ... but i was kinda worried/at a loss ...

when i woke her up, she was really weak and the right side of body wasnt working, her legs were twitching and shaking and when she was moving/trying to walk. i was SO freaked out. i put her in a really warm bath, and within about two days she has stopped struggling and was walking again.

sooooooo, i think we are good now. She has (hopefully temporarily) regressed to not being able to catch food, and i am back to baby food with her. i have to be really careful, b/c the soft food gets down into the hole her mouth. (I can get it out by pushing up on it, but its just a bit more work with soft food versus live food) ...
she is taking her babyfood and vitamin B really well by syringe, and seems to have an appetite when i offer it to her.
i always do a really good rinse out in her mouth with warm water after each feeding, because there are so many grooves and little caves in inside her mouth where food can get stuck. once i do the rinse out, i push up on her jaw hole pocket and get the ickies out.

she is such a champ. she doesnt mind any of it.
she is getting back to normal, i need a new higher wattage bulb for her because the one she has has lost its "pep" and not producing good temps.
i just need a 75 watt, i think i have one somewhere.

She is out right now, bright colurs, happy creamy belly and sweet look on her face. We are working slowly but i *think* surely back to a better state of health like she was before she went down,

she is still pretty tired, i think she would rather be brumating still ... i feel bad but i just didnt know what to do.

BLUE on the other hand is awake, healthy as can be, and hungrier than HELLO!
She is doing great, very active, hormonal, hungry, and all that. :) She did a mouth/chin shed a few weeks ago when she woke up.
shes such a cool dragon, but yea some days she is WILD and others she is quiet.

thats all from the homefront, ill keep ya updated on Lexis progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Em, Lex, and Blue

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You need to do what I'm doing with Lonzo, as I won't let him bromate at all, even though he wanted to last winter. Because of the loss of his right lung function I was too afraid to let him sleep, so he gets up every morning, sit in the sun if it's sunny out, has something to eat, basks for a bit, then he gets tired & I put him to bed. Even if he's only up for 5-6 hours, as long as he basks after he eats, I'm good. So do the same with Lexi, same morning routine, just naps & sleeping earlier in the day. I'm glad you woke her up, she just doesn't have a good enough immune system to fully brumate, and don't worry about it, she'll get used to it & think it's all normal. Glad she's feeling better.

And Blue is over and done with already? Mine haven't even started yet, they're still getting up daily, eating, basking and going to bed early, but except for Didi & Leo sleeping for a couple of weeks, nothing yet.

Titan has been diagnosed with Yellow Fungus. I moved him into my bedroom and have protocols in place so my other 5 don't get it. Keep checking them all daily, nothing so far, so hopefully I got Titan away from then early enough. My vet thought it was bacterial, after 4 weeks it got worse, so got a biopsy done right away and it was confirmed. So he's on an anti fungal oral med, as well as being "painted" with Betadine cut with water, anti-fungal cream every 2nd day. He gets echanacea, bee pollen, serrepeptase and acidophilus daily & so far he's still eating bugs & some greens. He really loves being in the bedroom away from the others, so that's where he'll stay. Gabriel is in the living room and loves it, too. He likes to play mind games on the ones that are out, especially Didi, it's very funny to watch!

So glad Lexi is doing better and so good to hear from you.
Take care
Deb

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Em! I missed you! Great to hear that all is well. What a scare that must have been when Lexi woke up with problems. Glad she is better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom