Symptoms of pinworms or other parasites, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloraBelle

Hello,
What are the common symptoms of pinworms? My Indy has not been eating like he was. Up until the beginning of July, he was eating like a beast. Turned five months old on 7/5 and 16 inches long. Suddenly, he seemed to lose his appetite... He will eat a few dubia, if they are freshly molted; and /or maybe a few waxworms. He has eaten a few bites of his greens... Normal for him. Prior to this change, he would eat lots of dubia. I am wondering about parasites... A few weeks ago, i bought some crickets for him. He ate some of these crickets thhe first couple of days. I noticed that many crickets started dying off...more than would be normal. I asked the cricket guy if it might be the cricket virus, and he said definitely not. I got rid of them anyway... Now i am wondering if he may have gotten worms from the crickets or something. Can you see them in the feces with the naked eye? I will probably get a fecal done just in case.... But wondering about symptoms.

Could also be adolescence....but he is very docile and wants to lay on me all the time. No aggression at all...

Indy's setup is all good... Temps, uvb, basking, etc all according to recommended specs... This is a new development.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As far as I know, parasites cause unusually smelly poop and sometimes loose poop. You can't see them with the naked eye. The best bet is to get a sample to the vet for a check. It's pretty quick and inexpensive. Parasites are fairly treatable, especially if caught early. If he does test positive for parasites, you will want to clean everything in the tank very well (steam cleaner, etc).

FloraBelle

Original Poster
Waiting for results of fecal test.. should hear in a couple of days. :)
In the meantime, Indy ate a LOT today.. maybe he really was just taking a break after his growth spurt and shed, maybe he is entering adolescence, or very possibility both... We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom