Sweetie is really sick, I think she has an RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Deb,

How is Sweetie doing today, is her breathing any better at all with her laying in a decline position more?
I wouldn't try to feed her just yet, no. I would just let her rest right now. If she isn't losing weight, a few days without food wont hurt her unless she acts like she is hungry.
That is good her beard is not black or anything right now. I hope she doesn't feel too bad either!
That is great news she has improved from last night!
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
She's doing alot better, her breathing is even and she's enjoying sitting with her rear end elevated, so that's how she's basking right now. I put the black side up of the fleecy blankets, borrowed Rubio's & Sweetie's, so the black will absorb heat better and keep her warmer. Her body temp was 95F when she left the basking spot & crawled over to the cooler side. So I'm going to eat brunch & spend some time with her. I've already fed & bathed the boys, they're just going to be switched around for the next round. Lonzo, then Rubio.

Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bless her heart, can just picture her in that position. Isn't it something that she didn't get a darkened beard at all, kept her nice yellow coloring, Sabrina was always that way too. Some beardies darken up during the very slightest discomfort. I swear it's their personalities.

Great to hear that she is doing better right now, hopefully she got rid of all that crap in her lungs. Using the black side of the blankets is a good idea.

That's good that you are getting something to eat, you need to take care of yourself too.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
She's still breathing well and is moving from basking to cool side, but I put the night heater on low on the cool side so it doesn't go under 80 for her.
I'm going to finish my breakfast, Lonzo's out, basking on the ramp, Didi spent an hour out & they've all eaten today. Rubio's next, then Leo, eventhough Leo is very slow lately & he's starting a huge shed. Even Rocco, my gecko, is shedding his tail. And so late in the season, too. Even Sweetie still has some shed on her face to go.
Deb

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I had read on your regular thread about Sweetie aspirating, but had no idea that she was foaming and wretching too :(
Thank goodness she knew to invert herself to get the fluids out. What a smart girl.

Hope whatever fluids that are still in her lungs will be drained out today, so you won't be worrying about her tomorrow or have to take an extra day off.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Just now seeing this. Poor Sweetie. Hope she is doing ok now.
Hugs
Waffle sends his love too.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Sweetie's doing much better, breathing back to normal, but I think she's damaged her arms, so I'll find out more. I 'm not sure now if I should take her to the vet in the morning or wait until Tues when we have an appointment. I'll have to see how she manages this eve, that seems to be when the worst comes out. I have to run out to do some errands, had a good nap, so feel better.
Thanks for everyone's support, you got me through a hard time again, all I saw was losing my Sweetiepie...got my heart rate going!
Deb

MissT

BD.org Addict
I think we can all totally relate to what you are going through.
I'm so glad that she is doing better now and hope that continues!
I'm also glad that you had a good nap!
Keep us posted
(HUGS)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deb, we can all sympathize with you, it's absolutely terrible seeing them in distress. :( You did everything right and we're all proud of you! Happy to hear that she is doing better, sure hope she didn't do more damage to her front legs with the vomiting though, poor girl, has gone through so much.

I'm glad you were able to get a nap. I know if you don't take her to the vet tomorrow, you will worry yourself sick all day so you might just want to go tomorrow, your call of course though. See how she is tonight and do what you feel comfortable with.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
She choked a bit at around 8p, I was cuddling her at the time, so she's back under her power sun to warm up again, then I'll put her to bed. I'll be taking her to the vet's tomorrow am, there's no point her being on her own tomorrow while I'm at work, so that's the best plan. I pay for the time anyway and it will make me & Sweetie feel better. She seems to like our vet, so that's good, too. I'm sure there's going to be consequences about her arms, all the spasms she went through seem to have caused bit hard balls where her muscles should be, so I'll see what that's all about. If I have to put her in the 20 gallon, I'll just put it into her own tank and cover the bottom with blankets, that's the only way to still have her in my room, she can't be in the living room with 3 males staring at her!
I'll keep you all posted, thanks Christina & Diane, and everyone else who helped me get through this weekend, it's been a trip :mrgreen:
I'll make sure Sweetie gets the best of care, she really deserves it; I'll be talking to her about spaying, I think it's almost fatal for her to have any more eggs. She didn't recover from the last time, 4 weeks ago. Then she broke her arms, now this issue with her lungs, so it's time for full healing mode.
Hugs back to you all,
Deb & Sweetie
The boys, luckily, are not affected by all this & have been more energetic than usual. Rubio was out for almost an hour & played hide & seek & make the biggest black beard with the other 3, so they all had a good day. Didi was put to bed when I caught him climbing the living room barrier :banghead: that's supposed to be beardie proof. I also got out after my nap, to shop & bought worms & crickets. Didi found the cricket keeper & has been keeping an eye on it all evening. So I think tomorrow he'll get a few crickets to scarf down. I'm grateful that they're all easy to care for, with all that went on with Sweetie this weekend.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, sorry to hear that she had a problem again about 8 pm. Seems like all sicknesses are worse at night, even for humans. It's good that you were holding her at the time so you could observe it rather than it happening in her sleep in her tank. You're very aware of her difficulties, good for you.

Sure hope she didn't do damage to her legs. Poor thing is trying to handle so much right now.

Please update us when you can.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I took Sweetie to the vet this am & ordered bone density & blood calcium tests to see how they are. I had to work today & decided that she was better off at the vet's today. I see the vet tomorrow at 2:45p, then she comes home, hopefully. I'll keep you all posted. I didn't have a chance to talk to the vet over the phone today, so will find out tomorrow what's been done & how she's doing. I'm going to be talking to the vet about spaying Sweetie, I don't think she'll survive much more egg laying, I can't seem to get enough food into her afterwards for her to gain enough to lay again.
I'll keep you all updated when I get home tomorrow.
Thanks for all your good wishes & prayers, I was sure I'd lost her on the weekend, so I sure was glad she was ok this am & slept through the night and so did I. I did fall asleep at work & my neighbour woke me up, sleeping on the job where I work can be a reason to be dismissed, so hopefully Sweetie's ok & I don't have go another 30 hours without sleeping, I'm just way too old to recover well from that.
Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Deb, I just read on Sara's thread that Sweetie in on Baytril for 10 days. Did he do a chest xray? Could he hear any fluid in her lungs?

So, her legs are very swollen, poor girl. Please fill us in on the details when you can and let us know how she is doing now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, she took an xray of her lungs & arms. She said it was difficult to see anything in the lungs but she could still hear a rasping kind of sound in her chest & she was still gaping every once in awhile & doing that spasm thing with her lungs. That's why she got an injection yesterday & today & she is to take .04ml daily for 10 days. She told me the meds taste awful, so to give her food with it. Again I didn't get to the health food shop or get some soy yoghurt, so will get the tomorrow. She'll need it for her tummy, right?

Her arms are healing well for being only 2 weeks. The bones are knitting already, so she expects to see a good difference on Nov 5. She'll take another xray to make sure the bones have continued to knit properly, the left arm is knitting a bit off kilter, but nothing to prevent a full recovery. Sweetie will have a small bump where the bones have joined.

She's resting on her cool side, having spent 3 hours under her power sun. She was nice & warm when I felt her & now I have to see about her going to sleep. Time to eat & get off the computer.

Thanks for everything Diane, I'll get that anti-inflammatory tomorrow, there is a shop that I should be able to get to in the am.
Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the update Deb. I'm glad the vet visit went so well, she's on the road to recovery now. :wink: Thanks also for returning my pm. I know we were all worried about her (and you.)

Yes, eat and rest lady, you do deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom