Sun exposure and shade behavior

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I had a odd question but I'll ask my Chubbs and Amber tend to spend maybe 10mins in the sun. Other than that they go & sit in the shade a awful lot I have mostly grass in my yard with dirt. Is this natural behavior or are they telling me they are too hot in the sun? I live in New England so it's not like it's 90 degrees everyday though I know the dirt can get hot. I try to give them sun exposure whenever I can & let them roam my yard (supervised). Wanna make sure they are not stressed out and are not running for shade because they're scared

Note: Sorry if I been posting a lot just wanting to get advice and do right by my dragons!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys I had a odd question but I'll ask my Chubbs and Amber tend to spend maybe 10mins in the sun. Other than that they go & sit in the shade a awful lot I have mostly grass in my yard with dirt. Is this natural behavior or are they telling me they are too hot in the sun? I live in New England so it's not like it's 90 degrees everyday though I know the dirt can get hot. I try to give them sun exposure whenever I can & let them roam my yard (supervised). Wanna make sure they are not stressed out and are not running for shade because they're scared

Note: Sorry if I been posting a lot just wanting to get advice and do right by my dragons!!!
Dragons know what they need so I would say yes that is normal and if the dirt gets hot then they need to be able to move to where its cooler - you dont want them burning on the stomachs

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Dragons know what they need so I would say yes that is normal and if the dirt gets hot then they need to be able to move to where its cooler - you dont want them burning on the stomachs
I have dirt patches but my yard is mostly grass or dead grass (light brown) I was amazed how cool the grass is. I just want them to get as much sun as they can safely. Would I be able to use for example a cat castle? Or stack stones for them to climb on or use for basking while out and about? I barely have anything for them to climb on besides me 😅, I believe I would need to find rocks/stones that don't hold too much heat right?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have dirt patches but my yard is mostly grass or dead grass (light brown) I was amazed how cool the grass is. I just want them to get as much sun as they can safely. Would I be able to use for example a cat castle? Or stack stones for them to climb on or use for basking while out and about? I barely have anything for them to climb on besides me 😅, I believe I would need to find rocks/stones that don't hold too much heat right?
Yes rocks and stones are good - sticks -- etc

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom