Substrate Hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, the general advice is sand only for a full grown adult (1 1/2 - 2 yrs.), and as you mentioned PLAY SAND only, that is well cleaned and sifted. :)

To add, as claudiusx mentioned, sand does carry risk of impaction even for adult beardies, and loose substrates do tend to harbor more bacteria than solid. So you will want to keep those things in mind when making your decision.

The best,
Em

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
There is a lot of controversey on this topic. Sand definitely causes much less of a risk for adult beardies, but the risk is still there.

I have never used sand, but from what I have read, it harbors bacteria and is very difficult to clean.

Personally, I use tiles, and I love them. VERY easy to clean. Take the tile out, scrub it off, and put it back. :D They also hold heat well, wear down beardie nails, and look really nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom