Stuck Shed - Nothings Working

snoopdoggydog

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Snoop Dogg
So I’ve had my beardie Snoop Dogg for a few months now and he’s still young so he sheds often. It’s always gone super smoothly, but he finished shedding about two weeks ago and the tip of his tail will not come off. I’ve tried baths, aloe vera gel, and a shed aid spray on I bought from the pet store - the shed is still there because god loves me. His temps are a little lower than usual as it’s winter here, and the rest of his shed was super smooth. Does anyone have any advice or tips on what to do?

I’m worried cause his legs are getting ready to shed again and the last thing I want is for him to start shedding with some of his previous shed still there.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The tail tips are sometimes extremely stubborn!
You can try some coconut oil, that may give enough moisture to help loosen it. Are you outside of the
US then, since you mentioned it was wintertime?

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Like mentioned, the tail and tail tip are stubborn areas to shed. The tail grows slower than the rest of the body and has less movement, so the shed in that area tends to stick around longer.

99 times out of 100, you don't need to do anything to help a dragon shed. It's something that will happen naturally and has been happening for eons. We as keepers have made it up in our heads that if the shed stays on the body that its some scary health risk when in reality, complications from stuck shed are very very rare, and are almost always caused by an issue with the husbandry.

IMO, attempting to put all that moisture into the skin is what is keeping it there. Beardies are not like snakes or other creatures that require moisture and humidity to shed. What typically helps a dragon shed is actually the shed getting dry, brittle, and cracking and peeling off with movement.

TLDR, don't worry about it. It will come off in time.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thread type changed from Discussion thread to Question thread by Moderator.

Friendly reminder to utilize the Question thread option when posting a thread to better help future users with a similar question.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom