STUART TAKEN BY HAWK

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkcirca

Hatchling Member
I'm so sorry about your little one.

You are not alone with wildlife taking your animals. My sister had prairie dogs, one of which was taken by an animal. We never did figure out what it was, but one of her dogs later returned parts of the skeleton to her... I hope no one else has to experience this. We should always be careful with our animals outside - even cats and dogs.

I know Nibs is extremely alert when I take her outside. She is constantly watching everything, and is quick to cover at the sight of birds, or sound of dogs.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Like Sandi, I too read this post yesterday but was just so shocked by it all I was completely lost for words... I still am but just wanted to let you know that I really am so so sorry that you had to lose Stuart in this way.

T

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
I am really sorry to hear this.I worry about Malibu when we go out.i will be getting a screen house soon.

Beardie name(s)
Chomper
My daughter Kate just told me about Stuart. My heart sunk at the thought of what happened. I are so very sorry for your loss! I can't tell you how much my heart goes out to you with the loss of your Beardie Stuart and what happened. We have hawks in our area and we see them just about "all the time". We have a 5lb. dog and a 100 lb. dog and 4 adult cats that run around in our yard and my daughter Kate has her awesome Beardie Jasper. We go out on our deck which leads us and the animals to our fenced in yard, and whenever I go out I look up in the trees to make sure I see no hawks when I'm out there with them. It's so hard to hear what happened to you and Stuart and I'm really very sorry. I will have to look into hawks in our area of NC and see what they are all about to try to safeguard our pets. Don't blame yourself.
Blessings,
Jasper's Grandma in NC

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I feel your pain, especially as a reminder! There is no way to be prepared for such a threat. I too have had the same experience not too long ago and lost the best beardie ever. I feel horrible for your loss but Mother Nature has no bounds. Now I hover near by beardies when we are outside and place potted leafy plants nearby to cover them. I try to keep them out of plain view. I am even considering stringing monofilament up above so that the birds wings cannot get through. Poor Frank, my thoughts are with you. Cheryl

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
That is so sad and I'm so sorry :( I'm going to go talk to my daughter right now. She has not taken Twitch outside yet but we also have 2 rats that she likes to play with on the lawn. I thank you for sharing your story because I have talked to her about the possibility of a cat pouncing or hawk swooping in, but she's 13 and doesn't listen to Mom... :banghead: ... but she does pay attention to real experiences.

Crimson

I am so sorry, I know you feel so helpless and sad but don't blame yourself... I once took the sweetest cockatiel outside, he was sitting on my shoulder (clipped wings of course) and a female peregrine falcon took him right off my shoulder... they can see prey from miles away. I've also heard of someone on a snake forum who took a corn snake in the yard and a hawk scooped him up only 6 feet away from them. It seems to occur more in the spring I guess parent hawks are desperate for food to give their chicks and will catch something right in front of you or even off of you.

Frank, I am so very sorry for the tragic loss of your precious Stuart. As everyone else has said, this was a freak occurence of mother nature, and in know way your fault. I just can't imagine having to witness this happen. I'll keep you and your family in my beardie prayers.

Kim

AlanHJ

Juvie Member
Where I live, there are many many bald eagles, hawks, crows and sea gulls. So Gucci is always on edge when outside, so we just don't bother. He won't even eat for like 3 days after we take him outside. But anyways, I heard birds are the only natural enemy of dragons in the wild.

Don't give up on dragons. It's not your fault. Who would expect a bird to come THAT close. My deepest condolances to you.

Pamela

Hatchling Member
Iam sorry for your loss, Who would think a hawk would do this with a human sitting close by.Where i live we have hawks and bald eagles that would have no problems taking a dragon. Pamela. :(

Alix1378

Hatchling Member
i am SOOO SUPER SORRY. no pet deserves something like that.
a few weeks ago on Americas Funniest Home Videos i saw a vid of a kid playin with his pet mouse in the backyard an the dad was tapin it an they set the mouse down for NO LESS THEN 5 SECS an BAM hawk. it was funny at the time but now that i think about it happenin to a beardie... its not funny not at all :shock:
but you cant stop havin a beardie :( you have to have one in stu's memory! :D

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
R.I.P. Stuart

Oh Frank! I've been gone for about a week and just seen this thread. I'm so very sorry to hear of your tragic news. I know how you must feel but don't beat yourself up to bad. I live in the county an I understand about the birds of prey but I guess by reading your post one can never be to careful. I have an outdoor enclosure and now I think I will be using it more often than not. Myself I have made many mistakes with beardies as I have lost 5 in all thru out the past 6 years an I blame myself for all of them, but you must take it as a lesson and learn by it...not condemn yourself to a live without beardies. :wink:

((((((CYBER HUGS!))))))

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Omg...Im at a loss for words. I can imagine how id feel....Utter hopelessness. Something very similar happened with a pet of mine aswell.
Really, tho, there was no way you could have possibly seen this coming, please dont blame yourself. This was a complete freak accident. Another diffucult lesson to learn - for ALL of us. We'll be all the wiser for it. Bless you and dont blame the hawk...Just doing what comes natural.

(I had a turtle of mine taken away from us by a raccoon last summer)

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
This is so sad. Having had to give up some of my beardies in the last week here, (although some have found wonderful homes within our bd.org family) I know you must be in pain and in shock at the sudden and unforeseeable way this happened. It is a frightening lesson for us all, and we are all here for you in whatever way we can help. Stuart will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge, knowing it wasn't your fault and loving you always.

Love and HUGE hugs and Healing to you and your family,
MaryAnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom