Strange arm movements! X-ray included pg 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Im just so glad that the vet was able to come in tomorrow to see her - he did however mention keeping her in, possibly :? ! Really hoping it doesnt come to that and that the blood doesnt mean anything too bad - thankfully Diane def stopped me from having a total breakdown last night!!

I will let you know how everything goes! Thanks once again for all the help and advice guys!!

T

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
MissT":0a63a said:
Im just so glad that the vet was able to come in tomorrow to see her - he did however mention keeping her in, possibly :? ! Really hoping it doesnt come to that and that the blood doesnt mean anything too bad - thankfully Diane def stopped me from having a total breakdown last night!!

I will let you know how everything goes! Thanks once again for all the help and advice guys!!

T
Yup Diane is definately an angel in diguise :wink: Try not to get yourself into a panic.You have taken wonderful care of Abu and whatever it is you will deal with it with flying colors.Of that much I am sure.As for the blood tests/xrays I am betting he wants to see her egg placement and her calcium levels.If he needs to keep her in I know it will be rough but remember your doing it for her best interests and it doesnt hurt to call every hour on the hour to check in on her :mrgreen: Just kidding they may not be too happy about that but whatever gets you through babe :wink:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good grief, keep us posted on Abu. I hope that she is not having any problems with her eggs. When will they decide whether or not they are keeping her or not, overnight? I hope that is does not have to come to that.
I am keeping her in my thoughts.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, that's so great that your vet will be there to examine her tomorrow, that must have made you feel better. The xray should give him (and you) a better idea of the egg formation. Hopefully he'll give you a copy so you can share it with us. We wish you and Abu good luck and hope she can come back home with you right away tomorrow. But, if not, he may just want to keep her for observation, I'm sure he will want to do what's best for her, just keep those positive thoughts, ok? :wink:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks guys!!! Will ask if he can give me a copy of the x-ray - it would be interesting to have!

He said, dependent on the positioning of the eggs he may need to keep her there for a day or so! Hoefully it doesnt come to that!

Anyway, thanks again! I will let you know how things go!

T

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey guys!

Just an update on our vet visit. I took her in for 10am this morning. The vet said he could feel a definite thickening in the area of her uterus but said an x-ray would confirm that it was indeed eggs and would eliminate any wondering about the eggs etc. Anyway, we left her there - the look she gave us as we walked away really did tug on the heart strings tho!

Anyway, vet called us to come back at around 12.30 and, as it turns out, Abu is not gravid!! Nothing resembling eggs or anything else abnormal showed up on the x-ray. All the vets in the practice looked at her x-rays and compared them with an x-ray of a gravid female. What they did notice is that her body is the same shape as the gravid female they saw a few days ago but rather than eggs, it is fat deposits which caused us, the breeder and even the vet during preliminary examination to think that she was gravid! They also mentioned that she is twice the weight of most bearded dragons they have coming in :?

She aslo had a bm whilst there and the vet took the opportunity to do a quick fecal examination (free of charge as I hadnt expected it) and absolutely nothing showed up on the slide which would suggest any parasites either! The vet said that the presence of blood on Sunday could be due to collitis? which would clear up on its own anyway!

Unfortunately due to a recent computer issue in the surgery we were unable to get a print out of her x-ray as the computers and printers were no longer communicatng but he did say he would forward it on whenever it became available!

So, Abu is fat but other than that, a very happy girl.

I feel quite guilty for troubling you all with my worries but thank you so so much for all your help and support over the last number of days!

T

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
No trouble thats terrific news :blob5: :blob8: So basically she is just a fat overly spoiled beardie :wink: Nope cant fix that :mrgreen:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, she isn't gravid after all, isn't that something? Did he have any thoughts about the arm movements or odd walking capabilities? Did he run some bloodtests? Do you have to cut her back on her food and calcium now?

You must be relieved as we are now too, but certainly don't feel guilty. :silent:

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well, now im back to panicing. I started thinking about what the vet said and now im wondering why it took 3 of them to check for eggs on the x-ray. Im also wondering why fat deposits around her uterus arent an issue as she is apparently perfectly in proportion in regards to her beard and legs. Should fat really be storing in that area. And should collitis not be confirmed and treated? he could not get Abu to sit still to draw blood (I had left at this point) but felt that it was not necessary!

The more I think about the appointment, the more confused I get. She apparetly had a bm in the vivarium up there (for the fecal) but when I picked her up she was in a small box with a fresh poop underneath her front feet - Abu does not lie in her own poop, ever! She was also quite cold considering she had been in a vivarium whilst there!

Then, tonight, as if I wasnt already worrying, a family friend who owns a chameleon was telling me about some recent issues she has had. The chameleon suffered a prolapse last week. she took it to the local reptile guy (a chameleon and bearded dragon enthusiast) who, told her to bathe in sugar water and apply ky jelly - he even gave her some. He told her to get on to the vet asap. Anyway, her dog ate the ky jelly. She called the vet (my vet) and asked what to do and he apparently told her to put some petroleum jelly on it and push it back in - she has been doing this every few days for the past week until the vet could see her yesterday. Appparently last time she poked it in, it looked like a shrivelled mushroom. The vet said to continue doing what she was doing and eventually it would stop! He wormed the chameleon and sent home some additional wormer for her male! She showed me the panacur granules today and the nice big bill she got.

So the hunt continues for a decent vet!

EDIT TO ADD - Abu weighed 410g about 2 weeks before we were told she was gravid..... despite being on very little food for those 2 weeks, she jumped up to 478g - her average weight gain is usually only about 15g per month - 68g seems rather extreme for a 2 week period!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
:shock: Are you kidding push back in a necrotic prolapse.Seriously?What kind of vet would say that.Yes I agree new vet ASAP!!!Please get those xrays so we can take a look.Dont worry too much you gotta know you have given Abu excellent care and thats most of the battle but if your still unsure about whether or not she is gravid then keep her laybox in there.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well, when looking at the x-ray I could not see anything in there that would resemble eggs at all! My sister told me to phone them first thing tomoro and ask to have the x-rays emailed as she may have a contact in England who will take a look... I am keeping the lay box as her little bit of digging and sudden burst of energy just doesnt seem to have any other explanation. The guy in the reptile shop did mention that perhaps she is experiencing a phantom pregnancy - my sister also suggested this, and that she may be storing her fat in that area as her body believes she has something to protect down there, as she has seen it a few times with dogs and cats at the sanctuary. Not sure if thats viable tho as reptiles generally are not maternal. She is also not sleeping well - still basking in the dark tonight at 10.45!!

This is the ONLY herp vet in the country apparently! I was given a contact number for another reptile vet but apparently he has retired and the only other one I can find online is currently in africa studying monkeys!
:(

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh my I guess your options are limited.Sorry about that but if this si the one you must use then be sure to question EVERYTHING and demand what you want done.Do not allow him to belittle you and instead just see him as a means to testing.I guess a pantom pregnancy is in theory possible and it would explain her fat stores.It may also explain her strange arm movements could be from too much calcium(if she isnt gravid).I must admit its a mystery to me :?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
vickson420":7067e said:
Sorry about that but if this si the one you must use then be sure to question EVERYTHING and demand what you want done.Do not allow him to belittle you and instead just see him as a means to testing.

Now, just to figure out exactly what I need done and figure out how much he will charge for it all - its impossible - hes never in the surgery and when he is he charges an absolute fortune for the consultation never mind treatment of conditions! After the story of the necrotic prolapse, I just dont feel that I can trust him with my Princess any more!

I just called and asked if the x-ray's could be emailed to me (she showed me them on the computer so I assume they are digital) anyway, I will be called back later this afternoon to discuss the issue? Sounds a bit odd.... I asked for them yesterday and an excuse was made... now today, I have to discuss it with the vet? O well! If I ever get them, I will post them here

T

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very strange. I would love to see copies of the x-rays if you get them. Also, definitely try to get a vet to do a blood draw.
A phantom pregnancy, hm, I guess that is a possibility, but it doesn't happen real often.
Something needs to be confirmed quickly though. Colitis actually is quite serious, if that is what he thinks it is. That should be treated. It can cause abscesses in the liver which could become fatal. It is the inflammation of the large intestines, & could be the cause of some swelling & discomfort in her.
I think you should try to get a confirmed diagnosis on that, too.

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom