Stomach Virus and handling beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
My son has a nasty stomach virus right now. It started 2:30 Monday morning and he has spent two days on the sofa miserable. He hasn't handled any of the dragons. I didn't figure it would be a good idea, plus he just wasn't up for it. The good news is that he seems mostly over it and should be back to school tomorrow. The bad news is now my husband has it. :( Survived about a half hour at work before he started with the vomiting and had to come home.

Soooooo... tomorrow I head to work. The dragons lights don't even come on until an hour after I leave and I won't be home until after 6:00. Ummmmm... little concerned about my babies being fed for the next couple days. If my hubby is even able to drag himself to the bug room and get worms for them, is it a good idea? Can he make them sick or something handling their food?

I'm considering making salads before I go to work and letting them wait until I get home from work for the buggies. Any thoughts?

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
if there on timers just set them to two hours before you leave for work and feed them right before you get out the door

weird question i was really sick lastweek with a sore throat my one female i hold alot hasent eaten now in two weeks so i wouldent have him go into contact with the animals my case just might be weird and a accident i also need to replace uvb tommorow so that also might be my issue

the lighting wont throw them off to much but yes it would greatly affect there health for them not to be fed protein more than once a day at 6pm normally they should get three smaller meals depending on there size

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. Well, total change in approach now. I have it. :cry: So, I guess there is no choice but them to b fed by a sick person. Guess I'll get my latex gloves out and take my chances.

BTW... I don't know bout other parts of the country, but where I am this bug going around is one of the nastiest I've seen. Two hour window between I feel perfectly fine and uncontrollable vomiting & diarrhea. I dehydrated pretty badly in only 4 hours. Don't know what I would do if I hadn't had immodium and lots of cold water already in the house.

cjsdragons

Hatchling Member
everyone i talk to seems to be sick with either bad throats or just a horrible stomach issue

if you have any questions on the feedings or anything feel free to inbox me

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I had the same stomach flu, but had no choice but to care for my dragons. I was sick for 4 days, but still, they had to be fed as I live alone. None of them were affected by it, but I ended up with a fatigue that kept me sleeping on & off for 3 weeks after the flu left. So I can sure understand your concerns, Mindi, but I wouldn't worry about it. Doesn't seem transferrable to dragons & has to be the same bug, it was brutal. I'm just glad I'm over it! Hope it doesn't last very long for you either, my doc recommended gatorade to help get electrolytes back on track, so try that when you're feeling a bit better, it helped me alot.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Almost all illnesses that you get are specific to humans, especially viruses, as they are specific to human DNA strands - bearded dragon's DNA is much different than human's. You don't have to worry about giving your bearded dragon the flu, colds, etc.

However, your immune system is compromised during illness so the chance of getting a disease (salmonella) increases a little bit - as long as you practice good hand washing etc you'll be fine.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Great. I got their salads and Crystals morning phoenix worms. But nobody really is interested yet this morning. Sometimes Fluffy won't take her horn from anyone but me and Neo tried to give her one this morning. I cleaned the hornworm habitats and it almost sent me rushing to the bathroom, so I had to stop. Since Neo is on the tail end of this ick, I let him try to feed them. Figment doesn't seem to be feeling well :roll: so he turned it down. And Fluffy just looked at Neo like he was crazy. In another hour or so I will try again and hand feed them myself. Crystal will want her daily crickets in another hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom