Stitches and Shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
In another thread, I'm documenting Jam's surgery in depth - however, I have a question that I don't want getting buried in the rest of it! :)

She has a large run of stitches down her belly as a result, done on the 20th.
I noticed today that her belly scales have started going creamy coloured - getting ready to turn into shedding scales, and I'm a bit concerned in case she sheds the stitches along with the scales. I understand it normally takes about four weeks to heal...

We've got a few days yet before she does shed properly, but I wondered if anyone else had any information /experience with such a situation - I don't want to come home and find she's gone and torn herself open or some such horror! :?

I've been riffling through old threads for the last couple of hours, but haven't found anything useful yet.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
My guess is that's not possible. The stitches aren't just going through the scales, they actually go through the flesh and skin I'm sure. Just be gentle around the stitches, and make sure she's shedding alright. Should be fine though!

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That's what I thought too - but I am wondering as the vet said it could be possible.
She's having them out in about five weeks.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
When she shed, the stitches stayed in place. Some loose scales ended up trapped by the stitches, but have not caused problems.

Some came completely loose where the skin had fully healed, like piercings, so I snipped them and took them out. Two remained in until we went to the vet, where he removed them and confirmed she's doing great - the blue dissolvable stitches in her muscles (the tips of two protruding through the scar) were nearly finished too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom