Still not better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
So it's been a long journey with this coccidia. I'm almost 100% sure he doesn't have it anymore but i have to bring in a stool sample to the vet this week. He finished his meds about 4 weeks ago and still isn't back to being his normal self. He doesn't bask much, he just lays on the floor next to his rock and won't move much unless he's out of his cage. His cage is very simple and has been for a while it's just paper towels and a basking rock. could it be that he is just bored? i took everything out so that i could disinfect easily. He still doesn't eat or poop much but he hasn't been losing any weight. I'm at my wits end and i don't know what to do it's been months dealing with this and he's better than he was in the very beginning but not himself. I just want him better. please help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It can take time for them to bounce back from meds sometimes. Have you tried giving him time outside of the tank to roam around or time sitting in a window sill to try and get his spirits up a bit? Other than that, I'd just keep him under good lighting, offer plenty of hydration and make food available for when he decides to start eating more again.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He gets about 30 min to an hour out of his tank a few times a week but if it'll make him feel better i'll do it everyday. I bathe him a few times a week but he doesn't drink it up most of the time. I leave him collard greens every morning but today i'm going to go get a new type of green to see if it sparks his interest more. I also offer superworms every afternoon but i'm lucky if he'll eat more than 2 in a day. Also the temps in his tank are still the same from when he was a baby. What do you recommend temps should be now that he is a little over a year old, He's 17 1/2 inches and weighs about 372 g.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds pretty good, keep it up. As far as time outside the tank goes, I'd just base it on how he reacts. If he seems to like it then I'd provide more time. If he doesn't perk up or seem to care I wouldn't bother with much extra.

For temps, the key is still providing a nice gradient and plenty of options. I usually shoot for around 100-105 or so in the basking area and about 75-80 on the cool side but the important thing is to make a good gradient between areas.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He does love being by my window and could sit there for hours if i let him so i'll let him out when i come home every day. Usually his tank is about 102 but since it's getting hotter out i've put an air conditioner in my room and i'm trying to find a good balance to keep his tank at a consistent temp. Right now his basking spot is 97 so i'll get that a little hotter and his cool side is at 73. So i'll play around with it a little. Once i get confirmation from the vet after i bring in a stool sample that he's parasite free i'll put his stuff back because he did enjoy climbing and jumping on his rocks and trees. Thank you so much for your help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that sounds like a good plan. Your temp gradient is good so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The lighting usually needs tweaking when the seasons change so it's tough to keep up without a thermostat. Try bumping the basking site a little bit but it's pretty close as it is.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So its been a while since I posted in this but, Hemingway is eating (pretty well now) however his poop still isn't solid. He's acting perfectly normal now and eating very well but still has liquid poop. Next time he poops I'll be sure to take a pic. He's been on 3 meds for the coccidia and pinworms and didn't do very well on them (took him months to recover) so I'm hesitant to medicate again? Do you think its worth getting another fecal sample? They're pretty expensive but if its necessary then I'll get it done.

EDIT: Ive been disinfecting his cage with a cleaner meant for coccidia a few times a week and every time he poops. Also if its worth mentioning, he hasn't lost any weight. In fact, he gained maybe 20-30g through all this.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Have you tried giving him probiotics yet? The antibiotics and specifically the antiparasitics are really, really hard on their system, and they kill off everything, including the good bacteria. Probiotics daily can do wonders for not only restoring normal appetite, stools, etc. but usually also get them back to acting normally as well.

You can either try feeding him Soy yogurt with live and active cultures every day, or you can go to Tractor Supply and pick up a tube of BeneBac and give him that daily. You should see a positive difference in his appetite, his stools, and his behavior within a week or so.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i gave him Benebac for birds and reptiles while he was on the meds but once the meds stopped i stopped the probiotic. Should i start them again? Im pretty much 100% sure he has no more parasites it's just his poop that's messy. Should i get the regular Benebac or the reptile and bird one again? Should I do the yogurt with it or is it one of them? And where can I find the yogurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom