Starfire- baby beardie who is very ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
:D It is with excitement that I introduce you to Starfire, my eighth Beardie rescue. This little man is very young and has already had a tough time. He was given to me by a pet store manager after one of the employees inadvertently placed a heavy water dish on his tiny hand. His left hand is now very rubbery and curls when he walks. He also has a skin tag/growth under his eye. Well, even with these issues, he is a very happy dragon! :blob5:

Starfire is eating as if there is no tomorrow. (Eat-drink-poop-rest-cuddle with me-start cycle over again..). :)
I know he isn't looking like a little prince now but give him time. With healthy meals, proper lighting and tons of love, this "Ugly Duckling" will be a beautiful Swan in no time!

32593-7642623824.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy! I am sure he is very sweet & now very happy he has a much better home, too.
I hope that he improves for you. Try getting some manuka honey or unpasteurized honey to gently put on the growth under the eye.
It may help it shed off eventually.

Tracie

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello everyone :)
Tracie- thank you for the suggestion regarding the honey. Unfortunately, Starfire has been very ill and his veterinarian told me today that it is "touch and go" :(
He has a severe skin condition which covers his tiny body. His vet has tried various antibacterial lotions and bath ointments but he continues to develop wart-like growths on his body. She is also trying antibiotics to cure what appears to be a fungal condition. He refuses to eat on his own so I have been "force feeding" him several times a day.

I have been feeding him three times a day using "Carnivore Care" with a small plastic tipped "syringe-like" plunger. I wake up expecting that he may have passed during the night but he is a fighter!

I will ask the Moderator this evening to link this thread to the medical "ER" section of this website. Maybe someone else has had a beardie with this awful skin condition.

Oh, how I love this tiny little creature!
:( Kat

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,
I am hoping that the Moderator can link my "Starfire" introduction thread to this area of the website. I do have a
Picture of Starfire posted on that thread..

I have a tiny baby beardie rescue who is about the size of my thumb. When I adopted him two weeks ago, he had thick growths on a good portion of his body. It appeared to be the starting of a shed but it has worsened over the past week. His vet has tried a variety of antibacterial lotions which have been added to his bath water. His one eye has been closed since the day I picked him up at the local pet store. Also, his left hand and left foot appear to be missing bones as they are both very rubbery. Oddly enough, they are also flat and are larger than the right hand and foot. The pet store manager did tell me that one of the employees inadvertently placed a heavy water dish on Starfire's left hand and left foot. It is strange that the hand and foot are not necrotic. They both present as spongy and flat.

I will try and post more pictures tomorrow. I have had Beardies for many years and have never encountered such an aggressive skin fungus or condition. He is on antibiotics and I am hoping this will cure him from the "inside" out..

Any suggestions?
Thank you for your time.
Kat and Starfire

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kat,

I went ahead & linked your threads, if that is ok.
I am sorry your baby isn't doing better!
So he does have a fungal issue? If so, he needs to be taken off of the antibiotics...they make the fungus worse & spreads more rapidly. He needs to have a skin culture done so that they can determine exactly which fungus he has. There are 2 oral anti-fungals that can be given to help.
Itraconazole or Voriconazole, which work in a slightly different way. A skin culture can help with diagnosis.
Are you giving any probiotics for him such as non dairy acidophiliz, or non dairy soy yogurt to help balance out his system?
The Carnivore care is excellent so try to continue with that for him.
What type & brand of UVB lighting are you using for him?

Tracie

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie-
Thank you for responding to my plea for help. :)

The vet said "it may be some type of fungus" and stated that she has never seen any skin condition present this way. She is an amazing vet and has done a great job with all of my rescued and ill beardies, iguanas and turtles.
I will call her today and ask her to do a skin culture. In fact, I will read her your post.
Fortunately, Starfire made it through another night. At 7 am his morning, he appeared to be a little more alert (than usual) and held his head up to gape in the direction of his heat light. To answer your question regarding his lighting, when I adopted him a few weeks ago, I placed him in a small 10 gallon with a Zilla brand, (approx. 2 feet long) "desert 50" light. My three other thumb size baby rescues thrived in this "viv" set up.

I will try and post some additional
pictures this evening.
Thank you for your help.
:) Kat (Starfire too!)

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello again,
Starfire is on the antibiotic Enrofloxacin .05 ml once a day.
Also a tiny amount of probiotic (Bene -Bac pet gel 15g container and he gets .1ml once a day orally)
:) Kat

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kat,

I am glad to hear that he made it through the night.
One more change you might want to consider.... The Zilla 50 Desert light has been known to contribute towards eye & health issues. The UVB wavelength is not as good of quality as the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12%. It has a tendency to peak & dip on the output, meaning the UVB wavelength is not as conducive towards D3 synthesis.
Let us know what the vet said.
I am glad he is on probiotics too!
I do think that a skin culture should be done to determine what you are dealing with so you can treat him better. This may be one primary reason why his skin isn't improving because he is on antibiotics & it's making it worse. It is worth a try since the antibiotics don't seem to be working.
The Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic but rather harsh on the system, too.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Hello Kat,

I am so glad to hear you do rescues also! I hope he continues to get better. It's so difficult especially when he is so young! :( You can also try a pedalite soak. Patience and love will help. Thank you for helping the little guy! :love10:

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello Tracie and Friends,
Starfire passed away at 1 am after a courageous battle. I made him as comfortable as possible and I spoke softly and held him as he passed. I am heartbroken.
Thank you for your help and support.
Kat

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kat,

OH NO! Poor Starfire, I guess his body gave out, I am sorry you lost him. :cry: He was not alone & he knew you were there with him. You gave him a great life while he was with you.
It is devastating to lose one, I am sorry.

Tracie

Hello Kat,

I'm so sorry to hear about Starfire. I know how heart broken you must be. I am very happy that that baby got to feel your love and compassion before passing. Please don't give up. There are still many reptiles out there who need your love and support. As a fellow rescuer I feel you pain, and you are in my thoughts and prayers. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom