Special Needs Dragon, trying to lay eggs HELP Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Wanda,

So Lemon is laying now after a shot of oxytocin? The shot in the thigh is fine, it is very routine to give them there.
She looks like a snow dragon for sure with all of that styrofoam!

How many more has she laid now? It looks like more than 3 were in her though.
What is that area on her tail on the x-ray or was that her foot? LOL She sure is round in the x-rays.
They can be protective of them sometimes, if they are not finished laying!
How is she doing this evening?

Tracie

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, Lemon laid a lot of eggs, I am not sure how many, but more than 10. The thing under her tail on the x-ray is her leg that is missing a foot. She covered all the eggs up, I know I can not leave them to long because the mixture she covered them up with had wet sand, oatmeal, and cherrios in it. (lol)
She is tired and resting, but laying on top of her eggs, and gets very alert if anyone walks in the room.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Wanda,

I am sure she is tired out now! You can leave the eggs until she is done laying though, that is no problem at all.
Oh ok, I wasn't sure what that was showing on the x-ray there, that explains it! LOL
She may lay a few more before it is all said & done for her. How is she looking?

Tracie

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lemon looks skinny. I am thinking it is very possible that the two sisters were gravid when I got them. The previous owner probably knew it, but she failed to tell me. (lol) I sure hope this egg laying is not a monthly thing. I will not have any hair left if I have to go threw 3 layings a month.
For those of you with multiple dragons, how many sq ft does it take to have 4 dragons, and all their live feeders? The 3 girls and most of their supplies, dubias, worms, mini fridge, beardie wipes, their own vaccume and meds, are currently in a 12 X 12 room. But we are running out of space fast. Is a 12 X 15 room gonna be big enough, or do I need to convert the garrage?
Thanks,
Wanda

discojan

Juvie Member
Has Lemon covered the eggs up yet? Our girl would do that, and then sit on top for awhile. We'd wait until she crawled off and/or was sleeping to remove the lay bin(and the eggs inside).

Hope she gets the rest out ok!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
MsWanda10166":ylhmnkew said:
So, Sophera had another 31 eggs today, Lemon has had eggs, but seems to be very protective of them, is this normal? When I go to check her eggs out she blockks me and hisses. She usually has such a sweet disposion that I was shocked when she did this, and other than giving her a bath, calsium, and food, I have not bothered her. The eggs are not fertile, so I figure letting them set overnight won't hurt, and I can remove them tomorrow when she goes back to her routine of beardie TV and a bath. If this is a bad idea for any reason let me know.
Yes they do get protective over the eggs. So just take her out to give her a nice warm bath and then take em out. :D

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We got the eggs out, she had a total of 30. She is resting a lot, but getting daily baths, as she seems to think that she is dehydrated. She never drank from her bath before, but the last 2 she has stuck her head in the water, and drank for a few min each time. I am also giving her liquid calsium daily right now, just to get her back to normal. She also gets acidophiluz daily.
Sophera also had 30 eggs the same day, and is not doing as well. She is normally my little piggy girl, and although she ate a HUGE lunch, when I went to check on them before dinner, she had pucked all over her viv. We cleaned out her viv, gave her a bath, acidophiluz and liquid calsium. I hope she will do better tomorrow. She skipped dinner tonight to let her tummy rest, and tomorrow, I will offer her greens, and baby food, and see how she keeps that down.
I also think my 6 mo old is gravid, and that totally SUCKS, she is such a young little girl, I am worried about her.
Does anyone know if laying is a monthly thing, or a spring/fall thing, or does it all just depend on the dragons?
Thanks,
Wanda

discojan

Juvie Member
It depends on the dragon, I think, but I have pretty limited experience. Our older girl would lay pretty regularly (even when they were infertile, which was always!)--one clutch every 3 weeks or so up to 4-5 clutches each year. She did this for three years, starting at age 3. She laid a lot of eggs each time, sometimes 33+, but she eventually tired herself out and had trouble with prolapsing last summer(there is a long thread on here about it --look for Electra), so she had to have an emergency hysterectomy of sorts. Thank heavens, she is doing great now. The vet was really confused about what caused the egg overproduction (she always had good diet, regular calcium, good Reptisun light and exposure to natural sun) and we're just glad she's back to her old self, but the calcium is really important.

Hope all your girls have an easy go with the laying!

I don't know if it will help any but I was having a similar problem with my female for her first clutch she wouldn't lay them cause there was too many distractions I had to turn her viv down to nighttime temps and turn the UV off n cover the glass so she couldn't see out before she would lay her eggs. Also had to take my male out as she didn't like having him there after that she laid them within 20 mins and had them all burried .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom