Some questions about my UVB fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
So I did a lot of research before buying my bearded dragon, Mari, but I still made a mistake in buying the Zilla 18” slimline fixture and using the bulb that came with it. It hasn’t caused any visible health issues (though I’m sure it caused minor ones to start, I just can’t see them yet) but I still replaced the bulb with the Reptisun 10.0 T8 18” uvb bulb yesterday (I ordered it on Chewy.com many weeks ago!) and there’s been a slight problem with keeping the light on. Oh, and before we continue, the day I bought the fixture, I took the plastic covering off and threw it in the recycling bin because like I said, I did my research and learned that UVB cannot pass through the plastic. (Though I’m wondering if the plastic covering was there for a reason.)

Because the slimline contains a magnetic ballast, it is incompatible with the Reptisun T8 series - my guess is that it’s Zilla’s way of competing with ZooMed. It’s like a little balancing act, where I have to keep going over to Marijke’s viv to kinda push the little bulb back in line, such that the prongs are in contact with the cathode and anode, because the light would shut off entirely. This is with the light rotated back into the safety lock position. I had to take her Reptisun tube out and put the piece of junk Zilla tube back in just because I’m worried the Reptisun tube will cause a fire or a blown fuse. Also the blackouts caused Mari to get visibly upset, as would anyone else if the sun suddenly started flickering before turning off entirely. (I definitely do not want hot mercury to explode all over my lizard!)

I have several questions now:
1. Can I use electrical tape on the bulb just to keep it pushed into position? (As I’ve said, the bulb has to be rotated a few degrees to activate the safety lock, but there are still a few mm of movement inside the cavity where the prongs can become misaligned with the cathode and anode)
2. Is it a fire hazard to force an incompatible light tube into the wrong fixture?

And 3, because this would be the best route of action:
What is the best fixture to use with the ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 UVB 15 Watts T8 18” bulb? I don’t want to go to Petco because they only carry those dual domes (yuck, yuck, yuck!) and the Zilla slimline fixtures. (And don’t get me started on how they literally only have red heat bulbs - I had to order online, which is why it took me a month to prepare before finally ordering Mari from Kids And Dragons.)

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Those Slimline fixtures should be compatible w/ the Reptisun it sounds like the fixture is defective -- where did you get it ? If you got it at the store take it back tell them its defective and exchange it -- I have a Slimline and a Reptisun bulb and it works fine --- the T 8 needs to be inside the tank and approx 8-10 inches from the basking spot --- you need to test that fixture --- put the Zilla bulb back in and if its still doing the samething w/ the Reptisun was doing its the fixture ---- you can use the Zilla bulb for now its not as good but it will work---- just make sure the distance is what I told you --- so test the bulb w/ the fixture that it came w/ and see what it does if its still flickering etc its the fixture itself and needs to be replaced--- Zoo Med makes a good fixture and we are having a hard time finding fixtures at this time --- the 24" especially --- what size is your tank ?
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I have the fixture inside my tank about 8 inches from Mari’s highest basking spot. I actually built the enclosure myself, it’s about 38 inches long, 24 inches wide, and 16 inches tall at the shortest part (I have an A-frame roof made out of chicken wire on the top, hehe) and 30” tall at the highest part. (Though i don’t have her basking areas more than 12 inches from the ground, and her fixtures are all hanging down on some rope light suspenders I made, so they are at the ideal height. I can easily adjust the height of the lamps as she grows so she’s always that perfect distance from her bulbs. Her heat lamp is a 75 watt CHE - I was going to order a bright white basking bulb with her fixture, since I need about 100 watts to keep the cage about 90 degrees in her warm side (the ambient is about 80 degrees, and her basking spot is 110, per my infrared temp gun.) I’m gonna take a look inside her uvb fixture again, since I’m guessing the issue is that something needs repaired inside, and I have an arsenal of tools and things to fix it. Unfortunately I can’t find my receipt from petco, lol, but I’ll just buy her a new one if I need to.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A ceramic heat emitter is not adequate for a basking bulb--- they need a bright white basking bulb to start digestion - ceramic heat emitters are good for heat at night-- you need basking temos 95-110 for proper digestion
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The slimline fluorescent tube bulb fixtures should be compatible with other light brands,
yes.
I agree, using a bright white light for basking would be better than a ceramic heat emitter
for during the daytime. At night, if needed, you can use the ceramic heat emitter too.

Tracie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I forgot to update, lol, I had to slightly take the fixture apart and study the components before I realized my error - I was not turning the bulb far enough because I thought "Oh, there's slight resistance, better not push it." Nope, the little plastic thingy spins all the way around, so I put the fixture back together and now it's working perfectly with the Reptisun bulb. Mari likes it, too, but I still take her outside because the sun is the best source of UVB.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3bjpdnpp said:
A ceramic heat emitter is not adequate for a basking bulb--- they need a bright white basking bulb to start digestion - ceramic heat emitters are good for heat at night-- you need basking temos 95-110 for proper digestion
Karrie

I'll do that tomorrow when I have to run to the pharmacy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure its bright white and you have a digital probe thermometer on hand to get a basking temp - it needs to be taken in the spot where she sits and leave there for 10 minutes then see what it is 95-110 for a juvie/ adult --- and 105-110 for a baby
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom