Sold sick beardie

Kenzie2898

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hey guys, as the title suggest I bought my first beardie a week ago, and it has now become apparent he is sick. I suspect RI or mouth rot, and it wouldn't suprise me if he had worms. I doubt his breeder ever took his animals in for vet appts.

Anyways, his vet opens tomorrow morning and with any luck I will be able to get him an appt very soon. In the meantime is there anything I can do? He hasnt eaten or drank since I brought him home. Can I give him fluids with a syringe? Ive.also heard of giving herbivite with a sringe as a supplement?

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Hey guys, as the title suggest I bought my first beardie a week ago, and it has now become apparent he is sick. I suspect RI or mouth rot, and it wouldn't suprise me if he had worms. I doubt his breeder ever took his animals in for vet appts.

Anyways, his vet opens tomorrow morning and with any luck I will be able to get him an appt very soon. In the meantime is there anything I can do? He hasnt eaten or drank since I brought him home. Can I give him fluids with a syringe? Ive.also heard of giving herbivite with a sringe as a supplement?
If he is that sick and weak, I would be very weary about syringe feeding him...aspiration, if you aren't trained on doing this.

Poor guy. Please let your local reptile vet know that this is an emergency, and you need an "emergency" slot.

Well wishes for your baby.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Por little thing, did you get it at a show from a breeder or have it shipped to you ? Can you post pics of it close enough to show the body condition and the complete enclosure set up ? You can use a syringe to drip water or slurry on the tip of his mouth slowly. Be patient, drip, stop, repeat.

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Por little thing, did you get it at a show from a breeder or have it shipped to you ? Can you post pics of it close enough to show the body condition and the complete enclosure set up ? You can use a syringe to drip water or slurry on the tip of his mouth slowly. Be patient, drip, stop, repeat.
He was bought at an expo. I unfortunately do not remember the business name. But let me get some pics for you

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Here he is and a pic of his cage. The substrate is exo terra desert sand, which I was told is safe but im probably going to get rid of it

Attachments

• 20230401_115007.jpg
    20230401_115007.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230326_132827.jpg
    20230326_132827.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230327_172139.jpg
    20230327_172139.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230401_121030.jpg
    20230401_121030.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230402_190712.jpg
    20230402_190712.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 53

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I didn't know it was an adult, he actually looks good. It's not uncommon for an adult to not eat or drink for a while, especially when in a new place. Is he just gaping a lot ? Is he wheezing or coughing ?

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I didn't know it was an adult, he actually looks good. It's not uncommon for an adult to not eat or drink for a while, especially when in a new place. Is he just gaping a lot ? Is he wheezing or coughing ?
Hes my first one but it does seem like he opens his mouth a lot. In one of his pics you can see bubbles in his mouth, which is what started to get me worried. But no wheezing or coughing

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They gape to regulate temperature so just be sure it's not too hot. Little bubbles are common in the mouth. What are your temps. throughout the tank and how are you measuring them ? Hot spot for an adult should about 100F , coolest side 75-80.

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
They gape to regulate temperature so just be sure it's not too hot. Little bubbles are common in the mouth. What are your temps. throughout the tank and how are you measuring them ? Hot spot for an adult should about 100F , coolest side 75-80.
I have both thermostats with probes and a infared thermometer, along with a hydrometer/thermostat on both sides inside his cage. His cool side is 88 and is warm side is 97. Having a problem with keeping his warm side hot enough while making sure his basking spot doesnt get too hot. The surface temp of the basking spot keeps getting above 110 and i have yet to find a happy medium.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's may be too hot then. Get the temp. on the cool side down to at least 80, that's just as important as having the hot side at a proper temp. Try dripping the water on his nose too for hydration.

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
He's may be too hot then. Get the temp. on the cool side down to at least 80, that's just as important as having the hot side at a proper temp. Try dripping the water on his nose too for hydration.
Will do👍 still going to get vet appt though. Just to be safe. How ling do you think it will take him to eat and drink again?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have both thermostats with probes and a infared thermometer, along with a hydrometer/thermostat on both sides inside his cage. His cool side is 88 and is warm side is 97. Having a problem with keeping his warm side hot enough while making sure his basking spot doesnt get too hot. The surface temp of the basking spot keeps getting above 110 and i have yet to find a happy medium.
I am assuming your taking the probe and placing it on the spot where he basks? If his temp is getting to or above 110 it is too hot for a adult dragon - I would get your temp down to 95-100 for surface temps and that should keep the area in around the basking area in that temp of 100 or so -- watch where he basks for longer period of times -- and I would work on getting the cool side of your tank to around low 80's during the day --

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I am assuming your taking the probe and placing it on the spot where he basks? If his temp is getting to or above 110 it is too hot for a adult dragon - I would get your temp down to 95-100 for surface temps and that should keep the area in around the basking area in that temp of 100 or so -- watch where he basks for longer period of times -- and I would work on getting the cool side of your tank to around low 80's during the day --
Noted. I will definetly do that for him. Right now the prob is just above where he bask but i will move it lower

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, just make those adjustments and he should settle in O.K. Don't be alarmed if he's not eating, an adult with good body weight can go a long while without eating and barely lose weight. Just be patient. I hope your vet is experienced and honest, otherwise they can create a problem where there is none. Don't let them do an enema . I would wait for a month or so before taking him in, you're best off getting a poo sample and letting him settle in.

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
O.K, just make those adjustments and he should settle in O.K. Don't be alarmed if he's not eating, an adult with good body weight can go a long while without eating and barely lose weight. Just be patient. I hope your vet is experienced and honest, otherwise they can create a problem where there is none. Don't let them do an enema . I would wait for a month or so before taking him in, you're best off getting a poo sample and letting him settle in.
Yep, i read up on the whole enema thing and wouldnt let them do that. What could I do to increase his humidity better? Right now its 10-20% without me doing anything, but i know hes needs 30-60.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom