snapping behavior out of the blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renamawn

I handle my beardie every single day, i love the little guy. he must be about 4 months old maybe a little more. recently i picked him up to check and make sure everything is normal (i have sand and am switching it out soon) just to make sure there isnt a build up in his eyes and things like that. i put him back down in the cage to go get his food. before i left, i went to pet him on the head like normal and he flared up at me. his beard got really dark and his mouth wide open. he seemed really angry with me. my girlfriend told me a little while ago that she wasnt going to touch him or be around him anymore because he flares up at her when im not around.I wasnt so certain this happened since this never happens when im around... and she is usually pretty excited and quick and all in his face when i take him out (like moving up close to him or kissing him on the nose and talking really close to him) i thought he might be scared of her so he gets defensive around her. but now it happened to me, am i over reacting about it? im a kinda shocked and a little hurt that he did that to me lol

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
You probably just startled him.

Remember that they "see" light/shadow changes using their parietal "eye"
on the top of their head. [It's how they detect birds and other dangers that might
come in from above]. If something comes in too fast overhead, it can startle them.

I've had mine get suddenly jumpy for no reason that I can discern. Even though
she's looking right at me and I was just holding her, Q can sometimes just up and
run away from my hand as I approach her.

Just move slowly, but steadily, when going to interact with her. Try to always come
in from the sides, rather than above, so she can see that it's you. Don't move in jerky
or sudden motions, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom