Smelly stools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Abe is about four months old and ten inches. He eats a ton, probably 60 crickets a day plus baby hissers and dubias. He also get fresh mustard greens throughout the day and about 25 phoenix worms. Fluker's Calcium w/d3 (no phosphorus) daily and Herptivite once a day 5 days a week.He was sick a few months ago, but he's been growing like a weed since he got better. I'm using Reptisun 10.0 and he's about 7 inches away when he's basking. His heat lamp is a 60 watt household bulb. His basking temps are around 105F. He goes to the bathroom usually twice a day. Brown, solid well formed stools with white urates. Excess water comes out also, presumably because he's well hydrated. He's been shedding about once every two weeks, and is in shed now. The only thing I'm worried about is he has been having smelly stools. What can this be from?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Bacterial or parasitic infections often result in smelly stools. When you say smelly, how bad, i mean no poop will every smell nice, but does it make you wanna :puke: ??

You can get a poop sample and most vets will test it without having to see the animal, if anything is wrong youll have to go in and get some meds.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Court, yeah that sounds like parasites... where are you getting your crix from ?
Go ahead and get a fecal exam done, as I am betting there are pin worms present.
Janie.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lately I have used Ghann's, Premium Crickets, and LLLReptile. I'm actually about to order crickets again so I wish I knew what was causing it. :( The last one I purchased from was Ghann's.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I don't want to bad mouth any company I have had no experience with, but get the fecal done, and remember... pin worms can survive in a dragon for weeks before hatching out... so any of the above could be suspect... but I'd rather doubt it was the last one...
Janie.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When I ordered from Premium Crickets, my order was infested with spiders.. That was right before I ordered from Ghann's. (Sizing mistake, had to order twice) Could it be more likely the parasites came them?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I don't think so.... but then again it could have been any of the three... Once you get the fecal results, the count should indicate how many pins he has... the parasite has a 4-6 week life period.
Janie

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I need to order my crickets soon and I don't know if I'll get the fecal results back before ordered. Would you recommend I order from a different source just in case?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Go ahead and get from Ghanns.. I haven't heard anything bad about them at all...
And since they are most local to you and I... ;) Just try to get your roach colony up so you can feed solely off that... Since I did that *roaches* I haven't had one issue with pins ;)
Janie.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Will I need to do anything after treatment? I saw something called Acidophiliz on beautiful dragons that says it's supposed to be used after parasite treatment.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
During and after.. that is a probiotic. It helps the gut flora to increase to healthy amounts, which in turn increases apatite. You can also use a non dairy, soy yogurt as a probiotic during treatment.
Let me know how things are going !
Janie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom