slightly swollen eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK I see them now. He actually looks pretty alert and colorful to me, so that's a really good sign. Is his back just slightly lighter than normal? They naturally turn lighter when they want to reflect light/heat and they turn much darker if they want to absorb light/heat - that's normal and not to cause concern. What I was thinking was when they lose almost all of their color and markings except for a jet black beard and chest which usually indicates distress. I don't see anything like that in the photos which is a relief!

shazbaz123

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1mlvhsei said:
OK I see them now. He actually looks pretty alert and colorful to me, so that's a really good sign. Is his back just slightly lighter than normal? They naturally turn lighter when they want to reflect light/heat and they turn much darker if they want to absorb light/heat - that's normal and not to cause concern. What I was thinking was when they lose almost all of their color and markings except for a jet black beard and chest which usually indicates distress. I don't see anything like that in the photos which is a relief!

He is always alert and that doesn't worry me, like I said he only has a swollen eye, he was much paler before I took the photos he was literally white, almost like he was about to shed, when the go almost a pale colour but worse, he also didn't have as much energy which scared me. He usually runs all over when I get him out of his cage but he only did a little walk. That could be due to the fact it is half past 10 at night here in England but I have seem him active at this time before.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Were his lights on at the time? I've seen them do that temporarily if they overheat. Is he on a regular schedule in terms of his lighting?

shazbaz123

Original Poster
CooperDragon":n1ay77zm said:
Were his lights on at the time? I've seen them do that temporarily if they overheat. Is he on a regular schedule in terms of his lighting?

No his lights were off as instructed to do so by advice on here, honestly he was so pale and limp I thought he was dead. He came around almost instantaneously when I got him out of his cage.
He is sort of on a regular schedule, his lights are turned off around half 10 on a night and then turned back on at about 10 in the morning so he has a good 12 hours plus, even more when I'm at college when I get up at 7, could this have caused his swollen eye? Not having enough time with the lights on. I read they should have it on for around 12-14 hours a day. I make sure he always has it on for 12 hours at least.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's fine in terms of the lighting schedule as long as it's fairly consistent. Going completely white and limp like that is concerning. It's possible that something is bothering him that isn't apparent and a checkup with an experienced reptile vet would be helpful if you see it happen again. Can you post some photos of your setup? I can have a look and see if anything stands out as a problem.

shazbaz123

Original Poster
88176-7837110338.jpg
CooperDragon":mrwzcqqz said:
Yeah that's fine in terms of the lighting schedule as long as it's fairly consistent. Going completely white and limp like that is concerning. It's possible that something is bothering him that isn't apparent and a checkup with an experienced reptile vet would be helpful if you see it happen again. Can you post some photos of your setup? I can have a look and see if anything stands out as a problem.

let me know if I can change anything, at the moment there isn't a water bowl as my sister smashed it when she was cleaning out the cage

Gail

BD.org Addict
That really doesn't look like swelling from a bad uvb bulb. I would suggest a very visit to look for foreign objects.

You should really consider getting a different heat bulb. Dragons need bright white light during the day, uvb isn't bright enough by its self.
Ceramic bulbs are great for extra heat, especially at night.

Since his cage was dark, I would think that's why he was pale. My dragons always turn pale at night. 12 hours of heat/light is good.

shazbaz123

Original Poster
Gail":2dgj6swx said:
That really doesn't look like swelling from a bad uvb bulb. I would suggest a very visit to look for foreign objects.

You should really consider getting a different heat bulb. Dragons need bright white light during the day, uvb isn't bright enough by its self.
Ceramic bulbs are great for extra heat, especially at night.

Since his cage was dark, I would think that's why he was pale. My dragons always turn pale at night. 12 hours of heat/light is good.

I will go out and buy a bulb, could you recommend any?
Do you say it's safe to proceed with turning back on his uvb bulb then?
I have seen him go pale before on a night and when he gets too warm but I have honestly never seen him go this pale before like I said it was horrifying. As soon as I got him put however he went back to normal

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Gail. Even a bright white halogen flood light will be helpful. It should combine with the UVB light to produce heat and bright light. The combination imitates sunlight which is the goal. Save the CHE for night time if the temperatures drop below about 18c/65f. Otherwise no extra nighttime heat is needed.

shazbaz123

Original Poster
Okay I will get a bulb for during the day, back to the swelling of the eye, did anything cause a concern, like I said there is no discharge from his eye it is just simply the swelling underneath

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may be slight irritation as suggested. Perhaps a bite or minor infection. Is there any loose substrate or particles that could have gotten in there? If it starts to swell further it may be a good idea to have a vet test for an infection. Rinsing it with plain saline solution in the meantime may help flush out any particles that are in there. If you can find a curved plastic syringe it may be useful but use it gently because they can produce quite a bit of force. https://www.amazon.co.uk/DURATOOL-OL1012-CURVED-SYRINGE-INCL/dp/B01F96EPK0

Gail

BD.org Addict
Wont hurt to leave the UV off for a few days, just to make sure thats not it. As far as heat bulbs go, I use regular household bulbs. Might have to play around with wattage to get the right temps.

In the summer I can go down to a 60 watt but in the winter I will use a 100 or 150 watt outdoor floodlight if it gets really cold. regular floodlight, not the halogen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The temperature is ok, at 35C, but it should be a bit higher, say 38C or up to 42C. You can have a good range so he can choose where he wants to bask.
You are only using a ceramic heat emitter but not a bright white basking light? That may be one reason why he could be having some eye issues. He needs a bright white light for basking along with the UVB light. That is likely why he was more pale, he didn't have enough light.
Is the Reptiglo 10 a tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
The Nutrabol is good, but it is a multivitamin so shouldn't be used more than 1 or 2 times per week. Are you giving any straight calcium powder for him? I think you can get Miner-All I believe that is just calcium but no vitamins.
I agree, I would keep the UVB light off for a week or so, just to give it a chance to see whether or not it is the lights. The saline solution should help out for him, too.
The mealworms can cause impaction, yes but I don't think it would or should affect the eye in that fashion. What other insects are you offering him? That's terrific he eats a good amount of greens too.
I am glad to hear that you removed the sand, I am sure that has been helpful.
Sorry, I missed your ER post & instead replied to your Health post so I merged my response.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

shazbaz123

Original Poster
Drache613":2qwq8xnb said:
Hello,

The temperature is ok, at 35C, but it should be a bit higher, say 38C or up to 42C. You can have a good range so he can choose where he wants to bask.
You are only using a ceramic heat emitter but not a bright white basking light? That may be one reason why he could be having some eye issues. He needs a bright white light for basking along with the UVB light. That is likely why he was more pale, he didn't have enough light.
Is the Reptiglo 10 a tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
The Nutrabol is good, but it is a multivitamin so shouldn't be used more than 1 or 2 times per week. Are you giving any straight calcium powder for him? I think you can get Miner-All I believe that is just calcium but no vitamins.
I agree, I would keep the UVB light off for a week or so, just to give it a chance to see whether or not it is the lights. The saline solution should help out for him, too.
The mealworms can cause impaction, yes but I don't think it would or should affect the eye in that fashion. What other insects are you offering him? That's terrific he eats a good amount of greens too.
I am glad to hear that you removed the sand, I am sure that has been helpful.
Sorry, I missed your ER post & instead replied to your Health post so I merged my response.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Most times it does go around the 40C mark it was just when I took the temps for the post it was about 35C, I will get the a calcium supplement as well I'm sure it says something about it being a calcium and multivitamin on it bit I'm not entirely sure.

Will it be okay for me to leave the UVB bulb on until I am able to get a heat bulb, seeing what I saw horrible and I don't really want to see it again.

With his eating he does eat his greens especially now I offer him rocket. Another issue I found is that he's practically stopped eating his live stock. He hasn't eaten a locust in about 4 days now and it is worrying me. I was reading a post about someone's dragon who would only eat mealworm's and they were adviced to stop feeding them him and only offer other insects and greens. So that's what I'm doing. And out of the last five days he's only ate one. But it is offered daily. He's never really been a big eater but as you can see from the enclosure photo he isn't skinny. I was going to give him crickets but when I went to the store to get them I was horrified because there was a spider in amongst them and I hate those things so I didn't get any. Is there any other insect that I could try getting, maybe some thing that looks like a mealworm. Could just do a perception trick ;)
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom