slightly swollen eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 3 days ago I noticed that the right side of my bearded dragons eye was slightly swollen. You wouldn't even notice it unless you was looking for it. However I am worried as this is my first bearded dragon and so I panic about anything. He is around 1 year old now and I've had him for about 2 months, originally he had sand substrate but I changed it to reptile carpet as I know the dangers sand has. The temps in the viv are around 35 degrees (I'm british sorry I don't know fahrenheit) in basking spot and 30/25 degrees every where else in the viv. His diet mainly consist of greens (he has a new found love for rocket). Another problem I found is that he likes to eat mealworms but these cause impaction (could this be the cause of his eye issue?) he does however eat locusts that's what he was originally fed on by his past owner and so I just carried on with that. They also used nutrobal as a supplement is this any good? I'm trying to give as much info as possible as I am worried :| he hasn't lost any energy, actually he seems to be more active whenever he's not basking. His stool seems fine. In the tank there is a 10.0 reptiglo ubv light. The heat supply is from a ceramic heat emitter.

please help as I am worried
thank you

shazbaz123

Original Poster
Around 3 days ago I noticed that the right side of my bearded dragons eye was slightly swollen. You wouldn't even notice it unless you was looking for it. However I am worried as this is my first bearded dragon and so I panic about anything. He is around 1 year old now and I've had him for about 2 months, originally he had sand substrate but I changed it to reptile carpet as I know the dangers sand has. The temps in the viv are around 35 degrees (I'm british sorry I don't know fahrenheit) in basking spot and 30/25 degrees every where else in the viv. His diet mainly consist of greens (he has a new found love for rocket). Another problem I found is that he likes to eat mealworms but these cause impaction (could this be the cause of his eye issue?) he does however eat locusts that's what he was originally fed on by his past owner and so I just carried on with that. They also used nutrobal as a supplement is this any good? I'm trying to give as much info as possible as I am worried :| he hasn't lost any energy, actually he seems to be more active whenever he's not basking. His stool seems fine. In the tank there is a 10.0 reptiglo ubv light. The heat supply is from a ceramic heat emitter.

please help as I am worried
thank you

Gail

BD.org Addict
First thing I would do is turn off the UVB, see if that helps. Some dragons have issues with repti-glo bulbs. Then check his eye really well if you can, see if the eye looks red or if there is discharge, something could be stuck under the eyelid. You can use saline solution to rinse his eye, could help and won't hurt.
If it gets worse, see a vet in case of infection or a stuck something. Mealworms wouldn't have caused this.

shazbaz123

Original Poster
thank you I will turn it off, there is no discharge from his eye and it looks perfectly fine its just a bit swollen

Gail

BD.org Addict
I'd give it a few days but you should see a difference within a week. Can you get him outside in the sun for at least 30 min each day while the light is off?

shazbaz123

Original Poster
It's pretty cold where I live at the moment, it's been raining the last couple of days so that might be no good definitely will if the weather brightens up ☺

shazbaz123

Original Poster
Gail":2kum6f32 said:
First thing I would do is turn off the UVB, see if that helps. Some dragons have issues with repti-glo bulbs. Then check his eye really well if you can, see if the eye looks red or if there is discharge, something could be stuck under the eyelid. You can use saline solution to rinse his eye, could help and won't hurt.
If it gets worse, see a vet in case of infection or a stuck something. Mealworms wouldn't have caused this.

Hi Gail,
I did as you said and turned his UVB bulb off before I went to work, I've now return and what I see has kind of scared me, he was ridiculously pale, a lot paler than what he goes when he is warm, is this normal when they are not exposed to UVB rays? He also appears to not be able to open his eye properly when he is directly looking from the side but at other times it is fully open, shall I post pictures so you can see what I mean?
Sorry for all the posts I feel like I'm bugging but I'm sure other owners would panic if they were dealing with something they aren't used to.

shazbaz123

Original Poster
CooperDragon":36ygzue5 said:
Does he have a dark black beard along with the pale color? That usually means they are in distress or quite sick. Can you upload some photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post using the XIMG button?

I've just tried to upload but I'm completely useless, can you give me a step by step guide :(
I can however tell you that he did not have a black beard but I would like to post photos so that you can see what I mean
thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No black beard is a good sign. Once you get to the upload manager page, press the new upload button on the left. Then click on the choose file button in the middle and pick a photo. Then press upload. If nothing happens, refresh the page in your browser and try it again. Repeat for each photo.

Once the photos you want to share are uploaded, reply to your thread and press the XIMG button at the top of the text window to select the photo you want to post. Repeat for each photo you want to post.

shazbaz123

Original Poster
CooperDragon":35oti7un said:
No black beard is a good sign. Once you get to the upload manager page, press the new upload button on the left. Then click on the choose file button in the middle and pick a photo. Then press upload. If nothing happens, refresh the page in your browser and try it again. Repeat for each photo.

Once the photos you want to share are uploaded, reply to your thread and press the XIMG button at the top of the text window to select the photo you want to post. Repeat for each photo you want to post.

I've done it down but thank you, the photos have uploaded if you care to have a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom