Slight Prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyKayla

Original Poster
She hasnt laid any eggs but from the flashlight test I learned on here I'm pretty sure shes a girl. But if she is a he, would the part protruding from the vent be some sexual reproduction organ possibly?

LadyKayla

Original Poster
Things were looking up this morning before I left for work but upon coming home I'm fearing the worst here. More protruded and its turning dark. A section of her tail started getting a lighter color and I thought it was a shed about to start but now I'm not so sure. Her scales look flakey and red inbetween. Possibly scale rot? My dad thinks she has an infection thats spreading. I'm praying someone sees this and answers before it gets worse. I'm a wreck.
88384-9418453751.jpg
88384-5915051545.jpg
88384-623351098.jpg
88384-2007834274.jpg
88384-2781429999.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, to me, just based on the pictures, it just looks like a shed on the base of the tail.
However, the darkness on the vent area is concerning. I am not sure what would have or would be causing an infection in that area, very strange.
Can you get her to a vet for them to swab that area to test for bacteria?
There really wouldn't be any sexual organ protruding like that, not like what would be if she was male.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Does the reddish dark staining wash off?
Looks almost like there is a bit of dried blood near the cloaca. Has your dragon been defecating normally? What substrate are you using? Straining while defecating could cause a bit of a prolapse that reduces when not straining. Could have had a prolapse that bled a bit. The intestines are well prefused and delicate. They bleed easily...

LadyKayla

Original Poster
I'm not sure of any other vets around me. Roughly the southside of Indianapolis if anyone has vet suggestions. The red did not come off. I cant get it to photograph well but it almost looks shiny like theres blood pooling undet it.
She was on non adhesive tiles, paper towels now though so I can change them regularly. She was having very normal poops until she seems to have started brumating.
I've been switching between warm baths and cool sugar baths.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I was worried it wouldn't wash off. It almost looks bruised. Any chance your dragon injured itself? Maybe a fall?
Probably would be best to take it to the vet just in case its internal damage or something. As for vets in your area...I don't know of one. But call around...lots of vets are knowledgeable about them because dragons are common pets.

LadyKayla

Original Poster
Rankins":3ey8ej8w said:
I was worried it wouldn't wash off. It almost looks bruised. Any chance your dragon injured itself? Maybe a fall?
Probably would be best to take it to the vet just in case its internal damage or something. As for vets in your area...I don't know of one. But call around...lots of vets are knowledgeable about them because dragons are common pets.
I've had her since she was a month old and due to my misguided knowledge I had incorrect husbandry that resulted in her having mbd. As soon as I found out I wasnt doing the right things I immediately corrected the issues and she had been on the mend. She has had some bone breaks in the past so I dubbed her a fall risk and made her tank 100% fall proof. I called a 24/7 emergency vet but they think she'll need surgery and the surgeon wasnt available for whatever reason. She's supposed to call me as soon as they open and the surgeon arrives. They said there is a high chance she won't make it and I need to think about the possibility of euthanasia. From what I've already read there really isnt a good way to go about it and not cause any extra harm to her. I need some more knowledgeable insight if this does have to come to reality.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This all came about as a result of straining to poo, nothing to do with a fall at all. The red stain is some blood, once it's on the scales it stays reddish unless it's washed off, but you don't want to disturb her or cause pain. The best thing you can do is continue to use either the ray honey [ the best choice I believe ] or the a.b cream and vaseline . It's true that this may end up badly, but she still has a chance if the swelling goes down. I don't know if an oral antibiotic would help or just cause more discomfort. Just give it some time to let her rest with the dressing on it.

LadyKayla

Original Poster
She is currently staying over night at the vets tonight. I dropped her off this morning with the kindest vet lady. She was going to sedate her, clean the area real good, remove any dead tissue and add two stiches on either side of her vent so hopefully it'll heal closed. She seemed much more knowledgeable and confident Crepe could pull through than the nurse vet on emergency call last night, especially after seeing it in person. The only problem is due to her spinal misconfigurations due to the mbd her gastrointestinal track may never run smoothly enough for her to eat solids. I will find out more solid answers in the morning when I go to pick her (or him? excited to find that one out) up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh bless her. I hope that the vet stay isn't too hard on her & that the stitches will help out. I would think that it should start to heal up pretty soon with the stitches.
Sure that discoloration would be dried blood but definitely wouldn't be necrotic tissue.
They should give you some type of cream to take home with you for her.
Let us know how Crepe is doing & what the vet says.

Tracie

LadyKayla

Original Poster
She had been home and doing okay but I swear she cant catch a break. She is now throwing up and the vet thinks she has some kind of infection. Its a reddish brown vomit. Shes barely been eating and hasnt pooped since the prolapse happened. I've gotta take her up to the vet again tomorrow. I just hope she can handle antibiotics.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that! Is her prolapsed area doing better now?
Be sure to start her on probiotics too, so her body can handle antibiotics better. I hope there isn't too bad of an infection.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom