Slate tiled enclosure w/ place to dig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Hello all,

This is somewhat of a repost from my other topic, but I wanted to put it here to get more input.

I currently have enclosure with a walnut shell substrate. I know this is bad so I want to change it. However, my beardy loves to dig. I'm not quite sure how to word this, but I'll give it a go.

89112-1065385952.jpg

This is a general idea of my layout.
Tiles marked with a yellow 1 will be a single 6x6 slate tile.
Brown S indicates the area with sand or another substrate for Skipper to dig in.

Red B will either be a brick (If I can find a 6x3 brick) or stacked 3x6 slate tiles.
Green question marks will either be a 6x6 slate tile underneath the above OR 3x6 slate tiles around the above.

I edit this as I come up with different ideas or when I figure out a way to clarify what I mean.

For now, if you can understand what I'm saying, what do you think? Is it worth putting a "sandbox" in? Does anyone have ideas on how to make this simpler?

Thank you

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
There are some people on here who have a full bioactive tank so it's all planted or soil based. You can mix play sand with soil, no fertilizer/vermiculate etc similar to a laybox. Alternately you could try a full bioactive setup.

I think Taterbug would be your best bet for that. The tank she made is beautiful.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
;) I'm biased but I absolutely think it's a good idea to offer digging enrichment. If a sandbox is what your most comfortable with go with that, if you are game for a more involved setup bioactive is a great choice. (I had to add a plinth/litter dam to my first setup so it could accommodate the extra depth)

Some people also use litter trays for dig areas or other sorts of tubs. I found dirt/sand or whatever just gets flung out during the digging or that where the bin is isn't were the dragon wanted to dig. If your going for a more aesthetic look than a litter box using bricks or paving stones to make a pit and then putting a tub in it (so the tub is hidden) may be an easier to clean option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom