Sick beardie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Over the last few days I've noticed my 2 year old make beardie seems to be a little down. He has been sitting in his basking spot for days now with his head down. Every so often he will open is mouth a little and lift his head. He does this same thing when he's sitting on me
His temps are a little over 90 and he's on tile with a newer MVB that is showing about 100 +/- Kw. This setup has been working for years and I know it can't be environmental.
I have been giving him baby food and water and gave him a bath yesterday. He tried to poop in the bath, but he wasn't very successful and it seemed like it was hurting him. He did poop in his cage decently a few days ago, though. I'm not sure if I will be able to get a sample to bring to the vets, unfortunatly.
I don't hear any clicking or weird sounds coming from him, so I don't think its respiratory, but who knows...
Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe a little caster oil to make him go a little so I'll have a sample?

winkysick.jpg

Thanks,
Ryan

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
What are you taking your temps with? 90 f seems too cold for beardies as they need basking temps of 95 to 110, closer to 110 for babies and the adults we've had prefer temps closer to 100. When temps are at 90, beardies can't digest, so won't be able to poop or have a desire to bask, just sleep.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Sorry your beardie is feeling poorly. Just so you know...you don't neccessarily need to get a fecal sample before going to the vet, the vet can take it from your beardie.

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
LJean":15e1f said:
A little olive oil or unsweetened applesauce may help him go. Also bathing a few times a day. How is he today?

Any idea how much olive oil? I have a small suringe with a plastic tip and also a regular dropper. I have been giving him baby food mixed with some water. I also have jumpstart, but I haven't given him that yet.
I gave him a bath last night and rubbed him tummy for awhile. No luck. He just looks so sad lol... Poor little guy.

I noticed you just joined bd.org. First, welcome. I'm a newbie too and this is a great place with great folks. May I ask what you were feeding him before he started feeling bad? I ask because pet stores push and some only sell meal worms and the general consensus among the experienced beardie slaves is that they are problematic in beardies who seem highly susceptable (spelling?) to impaction. The experts here try to educate us to avoid live prey with hard exoskeletons that cause the beardie problems. Knowing what he was eating before might help to determine if impaction is the most likely cause. Also, did you change his viv around recently? Because they're territorial, they withdraw when their environment is changed. Sorry he feels bad.
Jessie and Spot

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Add one to two drops of olive oil to the unsweetened applesauce. You may also try canned(no sugar) pumpkin or squash baby food.

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BarkAtTheMoon":1c1f4 said:
I noticed you just joined bd.org. First, welcome. I'm a newbie too and this is a great place with great folks. May I ask what you were feeding him before he started feeling bad? I ask because pet stores push and some only sell meal worms and the general consensus among the experienced beardie slaves is that they are problematic in beardies who seem highly susceptable (spelling?) to impaction. The experts here try to educate us to avoid live prey with hard exoskeletons that cause the beardie problems. Knowing what he was eating before might help to determine if impaction is the most likely cause. Also, did you change his viv around recently? Because they're territorial, they withdraw when their environment is changed. Sorry he feels bad.
Jessie and Spot

I guess I don't consider myself too much of a newb, but probably a newb to some people here. I have three beardies that are 8, 3, and 2 1/2 years. When the others were sick over the years it was easy to diagnose; UTI two years ago and then Pinworms last summer, yuck, but it wasn't this guy that had those issues.
Thank you for your input and caring. This guy, Winky, will only eat superworms, babyfood, and occasionally veggies. He never liked anything else and believe me I have tried. It was such a pain to get him to eat crickets when he was younger and when he was old enough for supers I started him on them and he went nuts for them.
I'm going to try and push veggies more often now for all of them, since they are getting more active. I just went to the market on lunch and bought some dandelion greens, collards, and a couple different kinds of squash.
No significant changes lately. I'll most likely take him to the vet Thursday if I don't see any improvement.

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":eed53 said:
Add one to two drops of olive oil to the unsweetened applesauce. You may also try canned(no sugar) pumpkin or squash baby food.

I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out and Winky gets to feeling better soon. Keep us posted on Winky's progress.

Dawn :D

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Fecal came back negative for parasites. He's still down and out. Been doing baby food and jumpstart. He eats baby food and jumpstart fine. He does this weird thing now. He slightly flares his beard. It alsmost appears like he's trying to swallow. I wonder if its respiratory? He's not star gazing and I don't hear any clicking sounds.
He's gone through periods of not eating before for no reason, so this could be another one of those. I wonder if it could be related to the changing of the seaons? He was eating and mildly active all winter, unlike our other beardies.

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so today I did some more probing and found that he has some white stuff in his mouth around his gum line. He keep doing this weird thing with his throat. Anyone know what this might be? Calling vet first thing tomorrow now that I have something to go on.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Oppie1":07d07 said:
Ok so today I did some more probing and found that he has some white stuff in his mouth around his gum line. He keep doing this weird thing with his throat. Anyone know what this might be? Calling vet first thing tomorrow now that I have something to go on.

Sounds like it could be a respiratory infection. I would definitely get him into see a vet as soon as posibble.

Oppie1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
gulfbrzdawn":9f097 said:
Oppie1":9f097 said:

Sounds like it could be a respiratory infection. I would definitely get him into see a vet as soon as posibble.

Made an appt for tomorrow at 10:15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom