Sick beardie - not sure what the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi all,
Some funny pics of Nammer tonight... She was relaxed and chillin...

78760-1601792346.jpg
78760-1407720484.jpg
78760-9901400697.jpg

Then I went to hermies tank, and as I often do at bedtime, started singing the oldie: "goodnight sweetheart, well it's time to go" for a few minutes, I turn and look at Nammer and she's like this:

78760-2106391876.jpg
78760-5729002529.jpg
78760-5729002529.jpg

Though she's obviously puffed up, her beard wasn't dark...
Is she looking for a boyfriend? Or is she agitated?
:)
Gab

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

That is precious, Nammer was just showing off for you! :D I guess she loved your song you sang for her. That is one nice looking beard she has, with the sexy leg action going. LOL

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I weighed the girls this week...

Nammer is 295 grams!!!

Hermie is growing and is at 90 grams. :)

~~ Gab

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Gabrielle,

Wow that is terrific~ so Hermies is pushing 100 grams now. :D
Nammer has really taken off! That is so wonderful they are both doing so well now.

Tracie

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi all,
Well, I'm happy and sad to say I've found hermie and Nammer a new home. Much more quickly than I dreamed. Tomorrow evening (mon) they are going to the NH Reptile Rescue and Rehabilitation. http://www.reptilesonthemove.com/nhreptilerescue/

It is an organization that not only rehabilitates sick beardies and other reptiles, they either rehome them or put them in a program called Reptiles On The Move which teaches students and other groups about reptiles. And so they are not only going to experts, they hopefully will have a more fun and healthful life going forward.

When we picked them out at the pet store, I didn't know they were ill and I never dreamed of the emotional, financial and time consuming cost that raising sick beardies would be. And Hermies been very sick since we got them. I really tried to "husband" them well and get them to a good place and tho Nammer is there, Hermie is not yet. It has been a long road and we have spared no expense in getting them the care and environment that would be best. I've looked after them as best i could and gave them my all.

For personal reasons I can't continue as I have, and so I hope you'll all understand that I needed to rehome them.

I'll pop on this site to follow your dragons now and then, and I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
Gabrielle
PS. - if I can get updates on how they are doing, I will update you all. God Bless.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you are able to find them a good home experienced enough to continue helping them. You've done a fantastic job caring for them and you should be proud of that! Please do keep us updated on their progress if you're able to keep tabs on them going forward =)

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your kind words Liam. I will miss Hermie and Nammer. Even tho I'm relieved, I'm sad. I will be asking for occasional updates from the rescue (Fingers crossed) I'll post again mon night/tues and let you all know what the rescue place is like.

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi everyone,
I'll update you a bit and thought I'd quickly say that bringing Hermie and Nammer to the rescue went really well. I really liked the lady running it and she has been doing this for 15 years. :) I really feel they will be well cared for! She runs programs that introduce people to reptiles and teach about them. My daughter and I are going to help out when she has programs near us. She said she's always looking for volunteers. So we'll get to see Hermie and Nammer occasionally!!!! :)

I feel peacefully that they will receive excellent care! I know I'll see them again so I'll keep updating when I do.
Thanks for all of your help!!
Gabrielle :)

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
Oh my gosh! That's sad! :( :cry: I just read through the thread. I;m still a little confused. Is one of them still sick? I don't think I could give Miss Buddy away. That's great that they are going to a "better" place. You are so VERY VERY brave to do that.

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Jaycee,
You must mean is miss Hermie still sick.... She is so much better and the wound on her chest area is very much improved but I'm not as sure about how her lip wound is doing. My daughter is your age and as you can imagine it was sad for her to say goodbye to the dragons even though she actually didn't spend much time with them because of school, homework, activities etc. Nammer is really completely healthy now. :)
Because Hermie has been pretty sick since we got her last September it's been a long rough scary road. There were people and vets that said she would probably not survive or that we should "put her down" but we didn't feel that was the right thing to do. So we did our best and she is doing really well, but not 100% yet. She will make it though and I look forward to seeing her 100% healthy someday. Without going into too much personal information, taking care of our dragons became too much for me and I felt that this rescue could offer them more than I could. They specialize in helping sick reptiles. They also take the reptiles to places like schools, libraries, girls and boys scout groups, etc and let people interact with the reptiles and learn about them. My daughter and I can help with those presentations so we get to see Hermie and Nammer again. :)

I will miss them but they deserve more social interaction than they were receiving here. I took care of them 1+ hours each day. Sometimes 2+ hours when Hermie was sicker. Other than me, they didn't get much attention. that made me sad. I hope and believe they will be happier. If you have other questions or confusion let me know.

Sincerely
Gabrielle

JayceeBuddy67

Juvie Member
That's so amazing! :D I'm very glad that they are doing much better. "Giving someone you love away, means that you love them a lot." One question, what state do you live in? Not to be a stalker or anything :lol: I was just wondering, to see if they might come to my school or something...... You & your daughter/family are very brave to give them away. I'll bet taking care of them was VERY stressful. :silent: I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. You guys are so cool!! :blob5:

Gab122

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx Jaycee, we live in NH ... About 50 miles north of Boston.

So I sent a couple emails to the rescue today and asked how their first day went but I haven't heard back yet. Hoping they are happy...

Will let you know when I hear something.
Gab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom