Should i start a Dubia colony?(PICTURE UPDATE 4/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
I'm trying to talk my mom into switching our feeders from crickets to dubia roaches.
Right now, were keeping anywhere from 1000-1500 crickets at a time.. and have to order in more when we get low. How long would it take to start up a colony, and have enough to constantly use it to feed my dragons.
I've done reading and know you need some sort of dark container and a heating pad?
Could anyone tell me the pros and cons to having these bugs :blob5:

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=116131&e=0

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=115386&e=0

both are some of the most informative threads on dubia. dark rubbermaid tote (gotta keep it real dark cuz they're roaches :lol:), a heating pad (85-95ish is a solid temp for them to breed), some egg crate, some gutload, and fruits and veg (for humidity), plus oranges are good for getting their reproductive systems going.

It takes a bit for the colony to start up. sometimes up to three months. before you make a complete investment, order a couple hundred mixed nymph sizes to make sure your dragon(s) enjoy the dubia, which i'm sure they will, i know sahara does ;)

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ajkry2":q3rsop0d said:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=116131&e=0

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=115386&e=0

both are some of the most informative threads on dubia. dark rubbermaid tote (gotta keep it real dark cuz they're roaches :lol:), a heating pad (85-95ish is a solid temp for them to breed), some egg crate, some gutload, and fruits and veg (for humidity), plus oranges are good for getting their reproductive systems going.

It takes a bit for the colony to start up. sometimes up to three months. before you make a complete investment, order a couple hundred mixed nymph sizes to make sure your dragon(s) enjoy the dubia, which i'm sure they will, i know sahara does ;)

I'll be feeding three dragons, so should i start one as soon as possible? I'd like to switch me feeders over because I'm getting sick of these stinky crickets. I already have a bin, egg crates, and fruits and veg because i use all this for my crickets.

Does it work to use heat tap instead of a heating pad?

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
as long as you supply heat, humidity, and adult pairs, you should be fine...

initial wait-time is the main pain in the vein ;)

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So the dubia arrived on friday.. i opened the box and was very shocked at how big those suckers were! :shock:
Being a girly 17 year old.. my mom doubted me even touching them!
I think they're kinda cute actually :D They feel funny walking all over your skin.
I took these pictures on my phone to send to my boyfriend. He could believe that i would even touch those "gross things" haha.

sadly we lost 1 adult male and 1 adult female, guess they couldnt adjust to the change. :?
So our set up is a 18 gal rubbermaid with a heating pad and egg crates. We have water crystals, roach chow, oranges, apples, and some greens.

here are the pictures i sent to my boyfriend on my phone.. sorry for the poor quality.
roach.jpg

dubia.jpg

i couldn't believe it but as we were checking on them last night.. i saw and egg sack and little greyish white babies!!!!!!!

I guess they will multiply faster than i thought!

Starforce2

Juvie Member
where did you get to roach chow? Water crystals?

I have just gotten 100 roaches. I tossed in a pair of small baby carrots from my garden last year (still fresh, actually started rooting/sprouting in the ziplock) We occasionaly have clementines that go bad which are basicly an orange, and I can probably throw the peels in too..I'm sure roaches eat any food matter.

Right now I have a single 5 watt blue C7 bulb but I don't think it's throwing off enough heat. I think I'll get one of zoo meds UTH mini's (the ones safe for plastic terrariums) and gluw it to one of those aluminum pans you get when you buy a small cake and suspend it inside the cage. If it generates too much, I'll buy the rheostat for 15 bucks. I figure the 20 bucks I spend on the heater and controller will be earned back in the long run. Plus, these C7 blue christmas lights blow out of you look at them wrong so this probably wont work. I was hoping they'd heat the tote up better.

Edit: Tocuhing them: From all the crap I've heard about these things they're not biggie compared to other bugs I've touched. I think the reason people hate to touch them is because a roach is just considered gross by default, because they have a bad rap. With hoppers the ooze tar, wild crickets and centerpedes that bite, and that sticky orange stuff from lady bugs you think people would hate those more.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Im feeding 5 atm i had to buy feeders to feed mine while the colony gets going. I think they are kind of cute my self.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Starforce2":19em9kn9 said:
where did you get to roach chow? Water crystals?

I have just gotten 100 roaches. I tossed in a pair of small baby carrots from my garden last year (still fresh, actually started rooting/sprouting in the ziplock) We occasionaly have clementines that go bad which are basicly an orange, and I can probably throw the peels in too..I'm sure roaches eat any food matter.

Right now I have a single 5 watt blue C7 bulb but I don't think it's throwing off enough heat. I think I'll get one of zoo meds UTH mini's (the ones safe for plastic terrariums) and gluw it to one of those aluminum pans you get when you buy a small cake and suspend it inside the cage. If it generates too much, I'll buy the rheostat for 15 bucks. I figure the 20 bucks I spend on the heater and controller will be earned back in the long run. Plus, these C7 blue christmas lights blow out of you look at them wrong so this probably wont work. I was hoping they'd heat the tote up better.

Edit: Tocuhing them: From all the crap I've heard about these things they're not biggie compared to other bugs I've touched. I think the reason people hate to touch them is because a roach is just considered gross by default, because they have a bad rap. With hoppers the ooze tar, wild crickets and centerpedes that bite, and that sticky orange stuff from lady bugs you think people would hate those more.

I got everything from theroachguy on here.
You shouldn't be using any type of light from what i've been reading or your roaches wont breed or come out to eat. they need complete darkness. Thats why i have a cheap heating pad under it. it keeps the temps about 85-90 degrees and its only set on low.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Freeie":4g46p45q said:
Im feeding 5 atm i had to buy feeders to feed mine while the colony gets going. I think they are kind of cute my self.

I'm feeding three :D I feed them some of the roaches, but i'm still mostly feeding crickets which i buy by the 1,000.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
5?! I dunno how you people manage 5 of these things. That's gotta take up a lot of space and make the power company love you each month. I'll stick with 1. But I'll get a couple other types of animal.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
roaches will acclimate to light....

I use clear tubs and they feed right in front of me....

6w piece of flexwatt and a dimmer switch extension cord and all is good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom