Shedding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Elijah my baby has been having a problem shedding his tail for the last few sheds he has had and now his tail has turned black. The first shed I has him, he was about done, he had half his tail left to go. Well I had him out and about when the skin got caught and it forced some of the shedding skin off his tail. I know not to force shedding skin off since it makes the next shed all that much harder but since this he gets to shedding and when he reaches that same point his shed just seems to stop. There is a line at that same point on his tail. He seems healthy otherwise, eats very well, is acitve, not grumpy, pooping well too. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry I meant to add into my origianl post that I have tried warm water baths with him, his last shed I had to give him a lot because he only was shedding one part of his body at a time which was hilarious and he would only start on another part of his body after a warm bath. Last night I tried some lotion on his tail to see if that helps to loosen anything up. Thanks again!

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I don't know what else to do, his tail is still darker then the rest of him, I can post pics if that will help anyone out. I don't want the skin to scar. I can post light info too if that will help. He has started another shed too...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that your beardie is having a problem shedding his tail. If you could post some pictures of it, that would be helpful, want to make sure that it isn't restricted at all.

I also suggest that you read this thread, some helpful info there. I posted some pictures that show how much the 100% Cocoa Butter stick helped one of my beardies. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=124767&start=0

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok here are pics of Elijah's tail, I hope that they are clear enough.
Random061.jpg

and...
Random062.jpg

Thanks for your help.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the bottom part of the tail feel hard like a stick? Would it be possible to take a closer view?

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry it's taken me a while to get a reply, work has been murder. Anyways, no his tail doesn't feel hard like a stick, it's still flexible and doesn't feel any different then the rest of his. I bath him regularly to keep his skin moist. It's just darker then the rest of his body.
This is the best close up I can get. The line that his skin turns darker is where the skin was forced off during his first shed when he got it caught.
Random063.jpg

Hope this helps.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just for an update, Elijah is shedding again, he hasn't shed his tail completaly yet but this shed is going smoothly. Keeping my fingers crossed. His tail still looks dark but may be thats just going to be his color, nothing else about him suggests stress.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, he's shedding again, that's good. It certainly wouldn't do any harm at all and would actually add more moisture if you decided to use the 100% Cocoa Butter stick.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I'm always a fan of extra moisture to his skin as it seems I never see him drink from his water bowl but he does get baths quite often and misting when he is shedding. I will keep an eye on his tail for this shed and post progress.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
*sigh* Elijah has shed and again the shed stopped at that same point on his tail. I can see a line. I put lotion on it last night and washed everything off in a warm bath this morning but the skin just doesn't seem to want to give. I may have to get some of that 100% Coco stuff. Does it help them get rid of the skin that won't come off?

Matt89

I wouldn't assume something is wrong nessisarily, both my dragons tail tips are darker than the rest of them, One of them almost as dark as yours, they've shed several times over the course of months, and it hasn't gotten worse infact it may have faded a bit because until i read this i hadn't noticed it in awhile.

Maybe the're growing so fast one shed starts before the others finished, or maybe some dragons just dont have a lot of pigment at their tail tips, but as long as it isnt turning black or shriveling up your safe.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No, no shriviling but it almost looks black in color especially since the rest of his body has shed and he is a nice light color and his tail is so much darker. May be the tip of his tail isn't growing as fast as the rest of him, but his last shed I put lotion on him and the skin I was able to brush of with gentle strokes of a toothbrush so there is skin there to shed it just doesn't want to do it on it's own.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So Elijah just got done with his last shed and again the tail didn't shed to whole way! It shed a little farther down this time but I'm still having a problem with the skin coming off the whole way. There is a distinct line and the tail is black. Baths and lotion were put on his tail the whole time. I dunno what to do. I guess a vet appointment is in order. I don't want his getting sick or having to lost his tail over this... :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom