SHAKING BEARDED DRAGON

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon2nick1

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? i honestly don't know
How long have you had your dragon? couple of weeks
How long is your dragon? around 5 or 6 inches she doesn't trust me to get an accurate measurement
What is the sex of your dragon? i think a girl
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 75 gallon
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?reptile carpet
Do you use UVB lights? yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?i think compact
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?Exo Terra
How old is your UVB bulb?couple weeks
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 9 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?75
What are the basking temps? 100-110
What is the cool side temp? 75
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?stick on
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?9 inches from light
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? i use a heating pad it on the side of the tank not under
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. gut loaded crickets a mixture of greens carrots buttermilk squash and sometimes apples and grapes
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? mourning and between noon and night
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?5x a week of calcium
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes
Do you bath your dragon? How often? 1x a week
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? mist her 2x a day
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?no

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, at this age, it most likely is not metabolic bone disease. However, eventually you will need to get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb as the Reptiglo 10 compact/coil light bulb is not all that great, & does not put out very good emissions, overall. Plus, it does put out low wavelength UVB which is not favorable for D3 synthesis to occur leaving the bones less dense than they should be. Good you are keeping the Reptiglo 10 9 inches away that should be fine, but you need to take the red light out & replace with a bright white light. The compacts & coils cause undue glare on their eyes as well.
At the moment, I believe it is going to be a combination of improper lighting & heating as well as possibly cricket size. The small dragons, they cannot or should not be offered too large of prey or it can cause impaction. If they are a little larger than the space between the eyes, that can pose a problem, definitely.
The stick on thermometer is most likely off by alot. They are only good for measuring the ambient temps, & not the basking spots. So I need to suggest that you try to get a digital probe or a temp gun to help measure the temps. The basking temps & overall temps, in general are crucial to the health of your dragon. He will not be able to properly digest without proper temps.
The basking temps need to be around 95-110 for your baby, & the cool side around 78-82. The size of your tank is fine.
Are you using a red bulb for the basking light? If so, that is going to need to be changed out as that is not near bright enough for him. Try using either a regular household lightbulb OR a halogen light. They need bright white light to thrive, plus, it does protect the eyes against UVB lighting in the tank as well.
You don't really need to be using a heating pad on the side of your tank, it can cause overheating for your dragon. They do much better with heating & lighting coming from overhead.
Keep us posted on him. Thank you for answering the questionnaire for us, we appreciate it & it is very helpful.

Tracie

dragon2nick1

Original Poster
THE RED LIGHT IS THE HEAT LIGHT OK AND ITS exo terrra NOT REPTIGLOW FOR UBV I HAVE A BRIGHT LIGHT THATS WHITE (woo i made a rhyme) also LET ME REPEETT exo terra

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I realize that, but you do not need to be using a red light & a bright white light both for heating. What wattages are they? That sounds like it is too much heating in there between both lights. They don't really need a heat lamp in conjunction with a white light. The bright white light IS the heat producing lamp. You could save yourself some money on electricity & just use one light along with your UVB light.
Hagen makes Exoterra products which are Reptiglo products. It is all the same. Just some are non UVB producing while others are UVB producing. So which UVB light are you using, a Reptiglo 10 compact or coil light?

Tracie

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
exo terra is the company/brand, they make reptiglo

zoo med make reptisun

you need to read what is actually written on the tube/bulb

the reason people are asking for the exact type of bulb/tube is that some of them can cause problems or don't give off enough uvb - compact type uvb sources are not ideal for beardies and can cause problems with the eyes; some tests on reptiglo 10.0 tubes have shown that they give out too much uva and can cause eye problems too but reptisun 10.0 and arcadia 12.0 tubes are OK

a temp gun is expensive although you can get bargains if you hunt around so I can see why your mum bought the stick on ones. The trouble is that they aren't accurate enough.

you can get fairly cheap digital ones with a probe on a wire; I have one similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Fish-Terrarium-Digital-LCD-Thermometer-AQ37_W0QQitemZ130264046384QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130264046384&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

you probably need two; one with the probe on the basking spot and one to measure the ambient temperature

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
don't worry, people here know all the brands and things and sometimes we talk like everyone knows about these things; we were all (well, I was anyway) just as lost as you when we first started out

it's a steep learning curve when you get a new beardie and a lot of advice seems to contradict other advice; generally the advice you get here will see you right though :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good that you changed to a smaller sized cricket. Did you replace the red bulb with a white one? Were you able to find an accurate thermometer so you can find out what the temps really are? And is the UVB a coil, compact or a tube fluorescent bulb?

boxers

Hatchling Member
i think a 75 gal. tank is too big for a baby, unless your feeding her the crickets in something else... cause they have a hard time finding them in such a big tank.. oh and just wondering, how many crickets are you feeding her a day?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
diamc":9eded said:
That's good that you changed to a smaller sized cricket. Did you replace the red bulb with a white one? Were you able to find an accurate thermometer so you can find out what the temps really are? And is the UVB a coil, compact or a tube fluorescent bulb?

dragon2nick1

Original Poster
diamc":89c76 said:
diamc":89c76 said:
i dont know the diference between most of these bulbs what is a compact? sorry im not very bright when it comes to light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom