beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Hey all,

I just wanted to post a heads up to everyone. As some have noted, the site becomes temporarily unavailable or seems very slow.

The problem is that we're experiencing a spike in visitors. We do every year at this time. It generally tapers off after January. However, I was noticing that we have been pushing the load limits back in September and October as well. As such, I plan to upgrade the site to a newer and bigger server so we can accommodate the increase in visitors. We've been steadily increasing in visitors over time, and seem to have now gotten to a point that we need to upgrade again.

In the last 10+ years, we've probably gone through 5-6 upgrades. Originally, the site was run from a spare computer out of my house (probably the first 4 years) and had at least one hardware upgrade during that time. Then we upgraded to a hosted service as my DSL connection just wasn't fast enough to keep up. Then, after complaints from the hosting company that we were consuming too much resources for a shared hosting account, we upgraded to a virtual server account. And when that wasn't enough, we upgraded to this dedicated server (about 2+ years ago, I think). Well... now it's time to upgrade again! It will still be a dedicated servre, but one with a bit more CPU and a bunch more memory (the real limit to the server currently).

It will likely be 1-2 months before the upgrade is ready. First, I need to make sure I will have the time to do the setup of the new server (installing all the software, etc.), and then get it all done. The final step will be a final data migration to get the latest copy of the database, in which time the website will be offline for a few hours (at least). This will get done during a low peak time (generally Saturday evenings).

Anyway... please bear with us during these times of growing pains. As some long-time members can attest, whenerver we upgrade things seem nice and snappy again. :)

changilass

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the heads up.
Its good to be part of a site where admin keep the members notified of things, many other sites just don't bother, so thanks again.
Changi

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for filling us in Alex. I will definitely agree when an upgrade is done, it makes a HUGE difference. :D

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
thank you for the heads up! it really is great getting to come here and you are ALWAYS keeping us informed with new things that are going on with well everything beardie related!! thank you so very much! will keep looking for more information as the time for hte upgrade nears so i know not to bug you lol!

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
It's always worth the hassle knowing that the site is growing, and needs new upgrades every now and then. Woo hooo!

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks!
I'm looking forward to it. Will topics that haven't been active for a while but haven't been locked yet still be there?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Everything will continue as it was just prior to migrating. I am not planning on any data removal/cleanup as part of the migration/upgrade. For the most part, it will seem exactly the same, except faster. :)

-Alex

boxerLvr

I sooo feel for ya! I own a gaming website and go through the same thing and it can be a pain at times.. however, also shows your dedication to your members. Thanks for the heads up, not sure what i'd do if I couldn't come in here and check in.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks for making it run great again. Can't wait for an upgrade :D :D
Keep up the great work, it's appreciated! :D

HEY IM NEW HERE AND ITS GREAT TO SEE THT U ACTUALLY GIVE US HEADS UP AND ARE ON TOP OF THINGS ...

LOOKING FOWARD TO FORUMING WITH THIS COMMUNITY =]

BYE AND THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom