SERIOUS HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadillac

my dragon bite me when i tried to pick him up...how do i tame him and get him to be nice and get him to let me hold him?????

spyder86

Hatchling Member
approach him slowly and from the same level no fast movement and don't approach from above because they feel threatened. let him get used to you being around and figure out that you are not going to heart him before you try to much.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,

Dont worry, you are not the first one to have had to tame your dragon. Even with the worst behaviour a dragon can be tamed, so yours will be no problem!
When I first rescued Dex (an adult missing an arm) she had never been handled and was pretty much feral. She bit me, scratched me and hissed at me.
With some patience and a few tricks she turned into the biggest cuddlebug in the world who constantly wanted to sit in my lap and be stroked.

She is most likely opening her mouth at you and biting because she views you as a threat. As soon as she is comfortable with you she will calm down.

I used the following tricks that helped her settle down:

Start putting your hand in her tank, flat but dont touch her. She'll see your not there to grab her. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley worms work best). If she goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. She'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.

When you try handling her try it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get her out, and let her run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). She'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if she runs around exploring she'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick her up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach her from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook her.
Lay your hand flat in front of her for a few seconds and then slide it underneath her. Once you have picked her up like this yuo can reposition her on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to her tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means she will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
When you handle her remember not to smell like food or aftershave.

and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.

Keep us posted!
Holly

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
this is wat i wrote on someone elses thing:

"i have done lots of reading on tamin, so here are some methods-
handle alot, make sure hes comfy!especially before his bedtime!
if he squiggles , cover ur hand over his head, so he will relax and think its night.or, if he starts runnin on ur hands, move them constantly in front eachother, like hes on a tread mill till he stops.
if he is very uncomfortable with u, take a shirt u wore for a day and put it in his tank at night, he will start to feel safe with your scent.
pet him alot; whether in or out of his cage.
if hes gaping, shove a piece of lettuce in his mouth. :laughhard:

heres a link with lots of tips- http://www.bio.miami.edu/ktosney/file/BDtame1.html "

it turns out the shirt thing REALLY helped them and i highly suggest u try it too!! :mrgreen:
GOOD LUCK!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I have a girl who did the same thing just a few days ago and the greens in the mouth trick works, as does the nightime snuggles and the shirt. in 2 days she went from being a terror to being a cuddlebug...they just need to know youre a friend and they really figure it out quickly...smart littl buggers! My other little boy was the type to run and struggle and with a week with my old undershirt cut up in his tank, he gladly will stay put when i handle him...try it im sure youll be pleasantly suprised
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom