Selling Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogles

Juvie Member
I just had a clutch of 10 pastel x citrus dragon hatchlings.

I have a couple of questions, what is a good size to start selling them and whats the best method of shipping them in this heat?

Thanks,
Michael.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Good size is 6 weeks 6 inches. As for selling and shipping in the heat, I've no clue. Maybe one of the other breeders will chime in on that.

Cute babies btw. :)

Fogles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mistyck":1hxa3mcm said:
Good size is 6 weeks 6 inches. As for selling and shipping in the heat, I've no clue. Maybe one of the other breeders will chime in on that.

Cute babies btw. :)

Thanks alot for the help, hopefully another breeder will help with the other situation!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Go to shipyourreptiles.com
They have a real good instructional video to check out.
They go over when to use a heat pack when not to ect ect.

Fogles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":20cxsgjw said:
Go to shipyourreptiles.com
They have a real good instructional video to check out.
They go over when to use a heat pack when not to ect ect.

I watched the video, but it doesn't show when you should use a cold pack.
Any other videos?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
The ice pack is for when the temps are above a safe basking temp to keep them from overheating. :wink:
You don't need an ice pack until the temps reach over 110*ish.

Fogles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":1qb1dl90 said:
The ice pack is for when the temps are above a safe basking temp to keep them from overheating. :wink:
You don't need an ice pack until the temps reach over 110*ish.

So I could ship in 90 degree weather without cold or heat packs?

john_ny217

Juvie Member
actually if you go to shipyourreptiles.com and click on the "get help" link it will bring up a FAQ. They have a guide in there that tells you when you should use a hot or cold pack.

Fogles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
john_ny217":3npb0td2 said:
actually if you go to shipyourreptiles.com and click on the "get help" link it will bring up a FAQ. They have a guide in there that tells you when you should use a hot or cold pack.

Thank you!

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Before shipping any dragon, I check the weather forecast for the zip code provided and the guaranteed delivery time. UPS standard next day air is usally 10:30am in most areas. I don't use Fedex because only their Priority Overnight is guaranteed before 10 am, their standard overnight may not arrive until 2pm. If the overnight lows are any lower than the mid 50's, I use a heat pack. weather.com gives you the temps throughout the day in 2 or 3 hour increments so you can plan accordingly. If the temps are going to be over 90ºF before noon, I use cool packs. Every situation is different and you need to break out the common sense sometimes. Positioning and ventilation can also affect the heat the dragon gets while in the box. You can always test it out.

Before I started shipping I did some tests just to see what would happen. I lined a box with foam, inserted a heat pack with probe thermometer and put it in the freezer and refrigerator to monitor it throughout the day. It worked pretty good, the freezer was a little extreme but it stayed very warm in the fridge.

I haven't done it yet with cool packs but I will be very soon. It's already in the 90s here! uck

Fogles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
RioReptiles":24aqy9jf said:
Before shipping any dragon, I check the weather forecast for the zip code provided and the guaranteed delivery time. UPS standard next day air is usally 10:30am in most areas. I don't use Fedex because only their Priority Overnight is guaranteed before 10 am, their standard overnight may not arrive until 2pm. If the overnight lows are any lower than the mid 50's, I use a heat pack. weather.com gives you the temps throughout the day in 2 or 3 hour increments so you can plan accordingly. If the temps are going to be over 90ºF before noon, I use cool packs. Every situation is different and you need to break out the common sense sometimes. Positioning and ventilation can also affect the heat the dragon gets while in the box. You can always test it out.

Before I started shipping I did some tests just to see what would happen. I lined a box with foam, inserted a heat pack with probe thermometer and put it in the freezer and refrigerator to monitor it throughout the day. It worked pretty good, the freezer was a little extreme but it stayed very warm in the fridge.

I haven't done it yet with cool packs but I will be very soon. It's already in the 90s here! uck

Thanks for this post, it will help me alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom