Rock hard urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
So my beardie Ozzie has had the worst poop since we adopted him in August. At first I figured stress. Then I thought maybe bad diet with the previous owners. Once before I thought he pooped sand rocks(because they had him on sand) but after today I think that it was hard urates.

He seems to poop twice a week. He has the most stinky, loose stool. It has never been formed into tube. Room clearing stinky! Today was "poop day" and he had not pooped by 7pm so I gave him a nice warm bath and rubbed his tummy. I guess he really needed to go. It was awful! The scarry part was the large amounts of hard urates. There were two - one that was round about 1/3 inch in diameter and the other was about an inch long and normal shaped but it was very very hard. I actually thought it was a rock.

His poop has always been surrounded by a large puddle of liquid.

I have panacur, albon, bee pollen. Should I start him on those? Should I get other stuff?
He eats like a pig! Always willing to eat bugs and salad. Generally on a good mood. Loves to run around the house. Sleeps like a champ.

He has a basking spot of 105. Cool side is 75-80.
Currently has two UVB coil bulbs until I get a T5.
Thank you.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Definitely get a fresh fecal test done so you know what meds to give him. It most certainly sounds like parasites or it could smell because he doesn't poop often. How old is he and how often are you giving calcium. It's possible he's getting too much. Don't forget to use probiotics too.

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okie dokie. Off to get a new fecal done.
Now if he poops on Saturday, how do I keep that "fresh" to take it to the vet on Monday? Or should I do the one you mail in?

I believe he is about 15-16 months old. He is small in that he weighs less than 300g.

I dust his crickets and Dubai's and he gets one bug feeding a day. I don't dust the veggies or BSFL. He loves his salad.

He does get a probiotic but I think I should start giving it every day.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
At his age he only needs calcium 2-3x per week. As for the stool sample, you need to bring it to the vet within 6 hrs if you want them to see protazoa. If you wait longer they can only see pinworms or coccidia. Now I don't know if that rule applies for dna test which is more expensive. Its best to bring in as fresh as possible. If you have to bring in an old one I believe the rule is put it in a sandwich bag and store it in the fridge.

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah! Normal urates today! I gave him mostly BSFL these last few days, lots of veggies and probiotics. No extra calcium. I also syringe fed him a good amount of water that had a bit of Pangea fruit powder in it. I also gave him a good dose of bee pollen. I dissolved it in water and he drank about 3ml!

Maybe he was dehydrated?

I also started him on albon for the coccidia. Hopefully he will feel much better soon.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It does have a lot of vitamins. It is from what bees collect on their legs. I think once or twice a week is good. Probably not everyday. But someone else might be able to give a better answer.

I am seeing hard urates too. I have been giving calcium once a day because we just got our beardie in December as a tiny baby. I will stop the calcium but I am replying to the old thread to inquire about bee pollen? Where do I get it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom