Retaining Heat in my Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

HillaryBD

GRxI7hD.jpg

In that enclosure is my 3 month old male beardy name Hillary. Recently I have moved him from his cramped 10 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank, which I do not have a lid for. Instead, I'm using his old lid to hold his 160 watt Fluker's mercury vapor bulb and a 75 watt zoo med red bulb. (I know the color is not ideal, but my exo terra bulb stopped working after only 2 months of use). Anyways, a problem I am having is retaining heat in his enclosure so that it is above 88 degrees. I was just wondering if there was a simple way of fixing this problem, like simply replacing the red bulb. Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you using to measure the temps? Are you sure you have accurate readings? I would imagine that the two bulbs would be enough to achieve a proper temperature gradient. I would replace that red bulb with a ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer so you can fine tune the temperature output as needed.

HillaryBD

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3nemavxx said:
What are you using to measure the temps? Are you sure you have accurate readings? I would imagine that the two bulbs would be enough to achieve a proper temperature gradient. I would replace that red bulb with a ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer so you can fine tune the temperature output as needed.
I am usinng a single Fluker's thermeter/hygrometer. It is on the basking side of the enclosure. I'm pretty sure it is accurate, however I do think the problem is the red bulb. Thanks.

HillaryBD

Original Poster
UPDATE
YaYrZ

I put the other reptile carpet on his tank and the temperature has risen to 92 degrees. I think that this will hold him over until I get a ceramic bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom