Restless Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieMa

My Beardie Houdini I noticed has been restless all day. He hasnt been able to relax, won't even let me cuddle him and we usually cuddle all the time.

He's eaten his food, had a good poop, idk what could be wrong. Any advice/ideas?

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
BeardieMa":o1yzrk7a said:
My Beardie Houdini I noticed has been restless all day. He hasnt been able to relax, won't even let me cuddle him and we usually cuddle all the time.

He's eaten his food, had a good poop, idk what could be wrong. Any advice/ideas?
have you ever giving him a bath? i know it helps! :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Were you able to divide the tank or give them each their own? If not, that could very well be the reason for his restlessness, he is being dominated by the other male and unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. :(

BeardieMa

Original Poster
No, have yet to separate them. They've been doing really well with each other. It's been weeks since one tried to snap at the others spikes. But Houdini still goes to bed too early, and now today it took a few try's at cuddling before he actually let me. He paced in his tank all day today and it makes me worried.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is trying his best to communicate with you that he is not happy. Sounds like he is very stressed with the way things are and he is letting you know that. He is relying on you to give him a happy home but he's suffering silently and more than likely, that is the reason he hesitated even cuddling with you and that's very sad. Going to bed too early is also another sign that he is very uncomfortable and stressed in his tank. Stress alone can kill as it can raise the coccidia level way too high causing him to become very sick.

Are they the same size?

Snapping at the other one's spikes is a big sign that things are going bad. Please don't wait until one is attacked and badly injured or killed.

When he is in the tank, where does he spend most of his time?

What size is the tank? Hopefully it is big enough to put a divider in right now so that they both have enough room until they can each have their own enclosure.

BeardieMa

Original Poster
Well I obviously don't want my babies to be stressed and uncomfortable. I guess I just wasn't reading the signs right.

Houdini is chunkier, but Viper is longer.

The snapping only happened a few times, and it's been weeks since it happened last.

He spends most of his time basking on the big log. They stay in a 55gallon tank, which would be big enough to put in a divider of some sort.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
diamc":1m3pf41u said:
He is trying his best to communicate with you that he is not happy. Sounds like he is very stressed with the way things are and he is letting you know that. He is relying on you to give him a happy home but he's suffering silently and more than likely, that is the reason he hesitated even cuddling with you and that's very sad. Going to bed too early is also another sign that he is very uncomfortable and stressed in his tank. Stress alone can kill as it can raise the coccidia level way too high causing him to become very sick.

Are they the same size?

Snapping at the other one's spikes is a big sign that things are going bad. Please don't wait until one is attacked and badly injured or killed.

<<<< If money to buy another "proper" tank is the issue, you could split them up into two temporary 100-140 litre tubs (the stackable type that have relatively easy to see through sides and clipon lids), these are really good as rearing tanks for their first year or so and really easy to convert to lizard tanks with a couple simple tools and can be converted in a morning.
They hold the warmth in well, and are really easy to clean.

PM me if want know how I set up my 100L rearing tubs.

When he is in the tank, where does he spend most of his time?

What size is the tank? Hopefully it is big enough to put a divider in right now so that they both have enough room until they can each have their own enclosure.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BeardieMa":21qu88v2 said:
Well I obviously don't want my babies to be stressed and uncomfortable. I guess I just wasn't reading the signs right.

Houdini is chunkier, but Viper is longer.

The snapping only happened a few times, and it's been weeks since it happened last.

He spends most of his time basking on the big log. They stay in a 55gallon tank,which would be big enough to put in a divider of some sort. <<< 55 gal = 209 Litres , so I'd say YES that's a good tack to take \ they will each get 105L of space ....
so long as you can ensure both have equal access to UVA and UVB and you'll either need 2 smaller wattage basking globes and fittings for them , or to relocate the existing basking globe so it is shared while making sure the partition stops them from seeing each other or accessing the other's side of the tank.
Pretty easy arrange if you have a long T8 or T5 10-12% UVB tube in a reflector hood and a lamp stand like those sold by Komodo or a clipon dome reflector for the MVB or big spotty you are using as the basking globe.

BeardieMa

Original Poster
Not gonna lie money is part of the issue. I have a MasterCard I use only when I really need it, I might need to use it.

My plan was to get 2 tank kits and sell off the stuff I have. This way I won't ever have to buy another tank, it'll be big enough for even when they are full size. And the way I'll set it up they won't beable to see each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom