Respiratory or impacted

Lexmcg9

Hey all I have a 1 year old dragon his name is mushu. Iv had many dragons in my life and nursed many a rescue back to health but this Lil man has me stumped. So let me start by saying I came home to find this Lil dork drinking his h2o with his back half still on his basking rock basically doing a hand stand to drink from his bowl... so then he starts gaping a lot and I figure its that he aspirated some water from drinking water upside down... I bought new temp and humidity gages just incase it was a RI so I know his Temps and humidity are optimal.. well now a few days later he's still on and off gaping.. and showing more liquidy saliva when he's gaping then usual however he's got an appetite ...he's alert no color changes eyes arnt sunken in... but tonight after his meal his tummy is bloated and he's kicking his back legs like he does to get his shedding skin of .. and he's gaping again with the sticky saliva and I'm not sure if it's impaction or an ri? Anybody have any thoughts? We have a vet appointment 10/3 the earliest my herp vet could get us in .. thanks in advance !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all I have a 1 year old dragon his name is mushu. Iv had many dragons in my life and nursed many a rescue back to health but this Lil man has me stumped. So let me start by saying I came home to find this Lil dork drinking his h2o with his back half still on his basking rock basically doing a hand stand to drink from his bowl... so then he starts gaping a lot and I figure its that he aspirated some water from drinking water upside down... I bought new temp and humidity gages just incase it was a RI so I know his Temps and humidity are optimal.. well now a few days later he's still on and off gaping.. and showing more liquidy saliva when he's gaping then usual however he's got an appetite ...he's alert no color changes eyes arnt sunken in... but tonight after his meal his tummy is bloated and he's kicking his back legs like he does to get his shedding skin of .. and he's gaping again with the sticky saliva and I'm not sure if it's impaction or an ri? Anybody have any thoughts? We have a vet appointment 10/3 the earliest my herp vet could get us in .. thanks in advance !
What are the surface basking temps and how are you taking them? Your UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture ? Impaction would be struggling to poop his vent may be swollen- RI is there any wheezing coughing runny nose? The saliva can be a indicator but there are other symptoms as well -- is he doing any gaping in the tank other than on his basking side?

Lexmcg9

Original Poster
100 on basking side 80-75 on cool side and they are taken by ĥis analog thermometers not a digital one. He doesn't gape all the time almost like he's gasping and letting air in and out which iv seen when he's trying to poop but also know it can be RI related . That's why the saliva made me nervous . But I read that he would be lethargic and no appetite and loosing his vibrant color if it was an ri and my vet confirmed that when I was making my appointment.. so I'm just confused I do have a dehumidifier running and took the water bowl out and have just been offering it throughout the day so the humidity in the tank stays in good standings. What are your thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
100 on basking side 80-75 on cool side and they are taken by ĥis analog thermometers not a digital one. He doesn't gape all the time almost like he's gasping and letting air in and out which iv seen when he's trying to poop but also know it can be RI related . That's why the saliva made me nervous . But I read that he would be lethargic and no appetite and loosing his vibrant color if it was an ri and my vet confirmed that when I was making my appointment.. so I'm just confused I do have a dehumidifier running and took the water bowl out and have just been offering it throughout the day so the humidity in the tank stays in good standings. What are your thoughts?
Analogs are inaccurate for getting surface basking temps-- you need a digital probe thermometer-- please get 2 of them - Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart
you also want a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com something like this
what is the humidity in the tank?
What is the UVB your using? This is crucial -----------

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's been at least a few days sense he pooped and its a coil
Please get rid of the coil as soon as you can- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues- there are 3 good ones that are recommended on this forum if you want the links please ask I will post them - it is not uncommon for them to not poop for weeks- mine dont poop for like 3 weeks-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom