Respiratory Infection - Updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I live in a crap hole town, where do I get a don-dairy probiotic? I'm starting the reptaid before bedtime tonight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just give a small pinch in with the food & the Reptaid. Is there not a walmart nearby or in a surrounding town? I grew up in Enid which was a small town in Oklahoma, so, I know!
Usually the soy yogurt can be found at walmart. You might be able to find a non dairy acidophiliz at a GNC or other healthfood store.

I agree, Aspergillus is very dangerous & causes alot of problems. If it is not caught early it is difficult for them to get over it.
Avians & reptiles respond fairly similarly to medications though they are still different in alot of ways, too. Baytril is a bird medication, Panacur is a livestock dewormer, so Avipow is a bird medication but STRONG. Use with care. It is actually an antifungal medication.

Tracie

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Drache613":f541b said:
Hello,

Just give a small pinch in with the food & the Reptaid. Is there not a walmart nearby or in a surrounding town? I grew up in Enid which was a small town in Oklahoma, so, I know!
Usually the soy yogurt can be found at walmart. You might be able to find a non dairy acidophiliz at a GNC or other healthfood store.

Tracie

Seriously? Enid is pretty close to me, I think. I'm in Tahlequah (you know, beautiful river? ;) )

I will check at wal mart tomorrow, but I have never seen soy yogurt. No GNC here, and I don't think we have a health food store (but we should with the college here..)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am sorry to hear about the RI issues your little one is having and I just felt I had to put my thoughts in.Please do as the others have stated about being cautious with the reptaid.Pau D'Arco is heavy stuff and doesnt come without harm in itself.Since we dont know exactly how much is in the reptaid and we dont really have long term scientific results on this product I consider it experimental.I really hope it does turn out to be a safe herbal alternative but between the Pau D'Arco and the Alcohol content I would proceed with extreme caution,ok?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
vickson420":d3adb said:
I am sorry to hear about the RI issues your little one is having and I just felt I had to put my thoughts in.Please do as the others have stated about being cautious with the reptaid.Pau D'Arco is heavy stuff and doesnt come without harm in itself.Since we dont know exactly how much is in the reptaid and we dont really have long term scientific results on this product I consider it experimental.I really hope it does turn out to be a safe herbal alternative but between the Pau D'Arco and the Alcohol content I would proceed with extreme caution,ok?

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it a lot. I have read the thread in the for sale section carefully and have done some research on its ingredients myself. Bumping the temps in her cage have made a big difference as she is coughing far less, but she is still coughing. I have had her on the bee pollen for a couple of days now, too. The dosing of the reptaid is very small, .1 cc per 100 grams, she weighs a big more than this, but I am only giving her .1cc (rounding down). I am hoping to not have to give it to her very long.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know where Talequah is. I have not been to Oklahoma in awhile.
Please keep him hydrated during all of this. I agree, the Pau D'Arco is very strong, so definitely do not get the Avipow as that would be stronger.
Good you have rounded down on the dosage. Hopefully you will not have to give it for very long, either. Keep us posted on him.
Monitor his urate output while he is on it as well, & if it decreases in amount, increase his oral fluids daily. If it become discolored, I would discontinue the use of the Reptaid as it could be too strong for him.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, I googled it an Enid is much farther west than I though!

Thanks about the hydration tip. I will be sure to bathe her every day. I can try and try but she just won't drink.
Thanks so much for your help, too. I can't express how much I appreciate it.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
NegativeCreep, if you pour some plain pedialyte in the tub it will help hydrate your beardie. I get it at walmart and get the store brand works the same as name brand. They absorb liquids through the vent also. I have three dragons and only one will drink from the tub but all stay nice and hydrated. I have used Pau d'arco and it is harsh. Give lots of probiotics because it does kill the gut flora.

Hope your beardie starts feeling better.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
pscaulkins":fcb70 said:
NegativeCreep, if you pour some plain pedialyte in the tub it will help hydrate your beardie. I get it at walmart and get the store brand works the same as name brand. They absorb liquids through the vent also. I have three dragons and only one will drink from the tub but all stay nice and hydrated. I have used Pau d'arco and it is harsh. Give lots of probiotics because it does kill the gut flora.

Hope your beardie starts feeling better.

Yeah, I know they absorb through their vents, as this is the only way Blaze gets her fluids! :) The one and only time I got her to drink was after I was away for 5 days (and apparently she didn't get any/enough baths while I was gone!). She only drank a few drinks then and I had to dribble it in front of her.
Adding the pedialyte is a great tip, though!! I will get some of that tomorrow too, as I go to the store and look for some of the probiotics. I've been in the vitamin aisle a lot lately (for me and Blaze!) and I saw a couple of probiotic pills. Are they the same thing? Can I use them if I can't find the soy yogurt?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Make sure you use non colored pedialyte so it doesn't stain your dragon.
The probiotic pills would be fine as long as they are dairy free. Check the label for dairy & if it doesn't have any in it, then they will be fine to give powder to your dragon for GI help.
How are things going today?

Tracie

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Drache613":eb7ff said:
Hello,

Make sure you use non colored pedialyte so it doesn't stain your dragon.

Tracie

:oops: :oops: I forgot to mention I use the unflavored kind for baths. I also get the store brand as it is almost half the cost of name brand but has the same ingredients.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I figured the unflavored kind.
I can't figure out the probiotics, though. I looked and looked and my walmart doesn't carry soy yogurt, of any kind. I even asked for help only to be looked at like a hippie! (Not to mention the store here is incredibly busy, I guess due to the BCS bowl game tonight..)

Do you know if I can use the probiotic pills in the vitamin aisle?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
pscaulkins":9853c said:
As long as it is not milk based.

Hmm.. I wonder how you can tell. It says on the bottle what the probiotic is..
crap. I tell my SO all the time that he needs to take me back to Texas! I hate this little town sometimes!

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hi~

I use the Probitic pills myself for Judah. They come in capsules so you can break them open and you can put about 1/3-1/4 of the contence into the syringe with the pedialite or babyfood. BTW they need to be kept refrigerated after opening and many places even keep them in the refer section of their store. You could also get the acidohiliz+ on line at Reptile supply. com and Beautifuldragons. It is way cheeper than buying the people probitics which in my area is any where around $18 for the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom