rescue with mbd and eye problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Hello all,

I will be taking in a new boy soon who has been rescued by a friend. He is nearly blind and he has mbd. He can walk but his legs are...floppy. He's about 10 months old so we are hoping to reverse some of the damage.

Now that he has a proper reptisun 10.0, how long should it be left on then turned off to help his mbd but save his eyes? What do you suggest. On every other day?

doe222

Juvie Member
personally i would still do it everyday but just for half of his awake time. untill his eyes are a little better id probly just give him half UVB and probly a low light basking spot instead of a bright white light. id usually never recomend this but due to the circumstance maybe one of those colored lights? like a blue probly not a red? thats just my thoughts though i could be totaly wrong. ive never had to treat for MBD but have done alot of research into alot of diseases just incase, and have thought of starting a bit of a beardie rescue/relocating thing. its disgusting what you see when you type in bearded dragon into craigslist.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I haven't seen you for awhile! :D

I haven't heard it suggested to keep the uvb on for one day then off for another day, even with beardies with eye problems. But maybe I am wrong with that.

I think as long as you have a Bright White basking bulb, that protects the eyes from the uvb radiation.

I wouldn't use a colored bulb.

-Brandon

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I agree with Brandon as to the lighting. My girl has MBD. I would order some liquid calcium, the Calci-Blast from
http://www.bug-de-lite.com/index.html. I also get the serrapeptase to help my girl's joints. Tracie can help you with dosage. Keep tall things out of the viv so he doesn't fall. Keep him moving, carefully, as much as he can so his muscles don't atrophy. I'm sorry. I just read back and you only asked about lights. I'll leave the info, though, in case some one else looks in.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Don't apologize, I will take all the advice you want to give. My other two dragons I have gotten from babies so they have been healthy all their lives, so this is my first time dealing with these issues. And even though I read about them all the time, practice is more intimidating than theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom