Reptiles= higher electricity bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I always knew that the more reptiles I have (now I have 1 ball python, 1 corn snake, the 2 beardies, and 1 velvet gecko) the higher the electricity bill because of course they all need warmth. But when I got my $200 bill this month I was like holy cow. My reptiles take up a bunch of electricity. I think I am going to get them treadmills so they can create their own power :p Actually I would like to see the snakes try :lol:

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Perhaps a sort of "Hamster Wheel" would work better for the snake? Or perhaps put a hamster in the wheel and the snake within viewing distance so as to scare the hamster into running.. :twisted:

My energy bill fluxuates depending on major appliances I'm running. The highest I've spent in the last 6 months is 180, while this last month was 78. and that's with 4 bearded dragons, 2 Chinese water dragons, 2 dumerils boas, 1 red tail boa, 1 ball python, 1 Mexican black kingsnake, 2 fire belly toads, and 2 fish tanks. Whew. More than 1500 watts in lighting, uth, and water filters.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Spoony":1nanarig said:
Perhaps a sort of "Hamster Wheel" would work better for the snake? Or perhaps put a hamster in the wheel and the snake within viewing distance so as to scare the hamster into running.. :twisted:

Good idea!!!!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
desirose01":16m0v4u7 said:
My energy bill fluxuates depending on major appliances I'm running. The highest I've spent in the last 6 months is 180, while this last month was 78. and that's with 4 bearded dragons, 2 Chinese water dragons, 2 dumerils boas, 1 red tail boa, 1 ball python, 1 Mexican black kingsnake, 2 fire belly toads, and 2 fish tanks. Whew. More than 1500 watts in lighting, uth, and water filters.

For sure. 6 people also live here so it is like a small city :p. we fixed the gas bill finally. So it is only $30 a day. It does mean that my house is a bit colder for the reptiles though. It is about 65 average now from the 75 average. Huge jump in money. I just had to up the lights a bit for them.

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Gotta love having power and water included into my rent :) I have 4 fish tank in my house, 55gal, 20gal, 33gal, 10gal. All with filters, heaters, lights. Plus my beardies tank, 40gal breeder with UVB and 150w Halogen. My landlord hasnt mentioned anything though :)

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
I also benefit from having utilities in my rent. They do have to approve every animal though, so I don't foresee a second beardie in this current home.

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
Wow I have two beardies, blue tongue skink fish tank and a ball python my electic bill has not increased more than $20. What wattage bulbs are you using. I changed all my bulbs in my lamps to energy efficient ones so that help.

koilover512

Hatchling Member
Spoony":e778qfa2 said:

Chaosadnd1

Hatchling Member
My electric bill is thankfully set at a current rate that doesnt increase until the end of the year thank god. I'm a reptile guy, buy also a computer guy. So that makes beardie cage, leapord gecko cage..1 server, 3 desktop computers, ect..Sheesh.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i love summer because i can turn off their lights and take them outside. but my bill usually stays about the same since i am running the air conditioner... oh, well.

Mr Dargon better appreciate that i sit out in the hot sun when it is close to 100 degrees and am sweating like crazy - just so he can enjoy the outside heat!

htidavid

Juvie Member
I have a Beardie and a Snake in the place I stay, my room mate and I only pay $30 for all our utilities each month though :D

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Chaosadnd1":3iv8os2g said:
My electric bill is thankfully set at a current rate that doesnt increase until the end of the year thank god. I'm a reptile guy, buy also a computer guy. So that makes beardie cage, leapord gecko cage..1 server, 3 desktop computers, ect..Sheesh.

Yah im the same way. I have 3 computers and 2 laptops usually charging or plugged in.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
koilover512":2tjv42u9 said:
Spoony":2tjv42u9 said:
LOL

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
i have 2 beardies, a snake, and 6 leos and our bill was around 90$ this month for electric. o.o maybe it's something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom