Reproduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigdc

Ok, this is my first post and it is about my 7 month old bearded dragon. From head to tail he is about 15-17 inches, but he does not have his full tail. He had an accident when he was about 4 months when he had an object fall on his tail and it slowly died and fell off. I would say he has maybe a little more than half of his tail and it is very healthy. I wanted to mate him with my female when she is of age, but I was wondering if his accident will have any negative effects on his reproducing? Thanks a lot!

thebigdc

Original Poster
Yea I know he is way too young as well as my 4 month old female. He does the head bob and turns his beard black about 5 times a day, but when he runs up to get behind her and do the lick punch to the back of her head, she just runs away. Thanks for the reply.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I doubt the missing tail would be a problem. But be sure not to let them get together until the female is old enough. He will be ready long before she will be. Sounds like he is already attempting it.

thebigdc

Original Poster
Haha yea he has been attempting it for some time now. She won't let him though. It is really funny I laugh at his missed attempts all the time. He just seems so frustrated sometimes. But like any good boy, he will have to wait. Thanks for the replies.

LJean

Extreme Poster
LOL! boys!

Just be careful because I have seen some beardies on here that have mated at only 7 months old. Not good for the female. ;) You just never know when it will happen.

thebigdc

Original Poster
I do watch them very closely and she has not even let him mount her. I'm thinking she maybe a good girl and knows her limits!

LJean

Extreme Poster
Let's hope so, LOL
I don't let mine near each other. I don't want baby dragons. ;) I wouldn't be able to get rid of any of them, LOL

spyder79

Extreme Poster
If what i am reading is correct you have them housed together which is BAD. He will breed her way to young and it will hurt her. Her growth can be stunted from breeding too early, im certain she is very stressed due to being housed with him considering he is older, wants to breed her, and probably larger. For the health of your dragons you need to seperate them immediately. If she is bred to young her chances of becoming egg bound and extremely high which equals to extremely high vet bills and or death. It is imperative that they are not housed together.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
well number 1 a automatic stresser is a male and female being housed together.
but there are some things you probably think are cute that are 1 stressful and 2 signs of dominance
laying on each other when basking is a sign of dominance issues
chasing around the tank is not playing it is a sign of one trying to dominate the other.
they male trying to breed the female is stressful for her especially at that age

there will be dark blotches on her underside showing she is uncomfortable
you need them seperated for both their healths.
if you dont believe me just search beardies housed together on this forum many disturbing pics and stories on this site about the outcome of such practices.

thebigdc

Original Poster
I believe you and they do not do any of the above, except for the fact that she lays on him sometimes while they bask. The only thing is I am a college student right now and I have them both in a 40 long and I can't really afford to buy the extra lights and so on. Any suggestions on how to separate them other than a divider?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
I am not wanting to sound rude so please dont take it as such but if you can not afford to properly keep two dragons than you should only have one dragon. it is as simple as that. the tank is too small to put a divider in so you do not have that option. If you can not afford to purchase a entirely seperate setup (ie tank uv and heat lighting substrate) then you need to adopt one of them to someone else. i am sorry if this sounds mean but it is imperative you do this.

thebigdc

Original Poster
I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your help and i dont take it as you being rude. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom