Recommended UVI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zasdarq

I've got a new baby bearded dragon (7 weeks old) and I have some questions about UVI measurements.

The dragon is living in a 4'x2'x2' enclosure, with an Arcadia 14% UVB bulb. Her decorations are all kept low, because of the strength of the bulb and concerns about big falls for a little lizard. I've got a Solarmeter 6.5 that I'm using to check UVI levels, which currently vary from 0 to 6. But some of her decorations are 15" from the bulb (7" from the ground) and I'm finding conflicting information about if that's ok.

Arcadia's website notes a UVI of 0-6 as the goal for a Bearded Dragon and the same page says 18" for the Arcadia 14% (https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/). Though their bulb specific page lists 15" as the top-end (https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/lamps/dragon/).

Leaving aside height from the specific bulb, just looking at UV Index information there seems to be disagreements. This page about it (https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides) lists a Ferguson Zone of 3-4, allowing for a UVI of up to 7.4 !

For those with Solarmeter devices, what UVI do you normally target?

I appreciate this is not an exact science. Which leads me to my final question: Can I trust my little dragon to know how much UV she needs? She spends time at a number of different places around the tank, some at high UV levels and some at low. She can access high and low temperatures with both high and low UV, giving her plenty of options to pick from. But so far she'll still plop down for at least a couple hours under the maximum heat (105-110) and maximum UV (6.0) spot. If my measurements are wrong, or 6 really is too high, is there a risk here of her being silly and hurting herself?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It sounds good what you have going -- I dont have a solometer but I did use the 14% here not long ago I have the same measurements height wise - I had mine in the tank approx 17-18 inches from the basking décor piece and Blaze went from his basking spot to the UVB when he needed it - she will do the same she knows what she needs --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

So what is your basking site uvi at right now? Is that the 6? That, along with the cool end uvi is the most important really.

Anything at or a bit above a 3 is suitable for the basking site. I dont like seeing above a 6 at the main site. That doesn't mean that 6 is the max they can expose themselves to, its just the spot they spend the majority of their time basking I prefer to be around 3.5 or 4. And then of course, a gradient down to 0 uvi on the cool end.

I use the 14% too in my 4x2x2s. I use the 22 inch version to let me have a good gradient down to 0 on the cool end.

-Brandon

zasdarq

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! To answer your questions Brandon:

Basking site varies from 6 to ~2.5. The heat bulb centered above a 18" stretch of cork bark heats up a large area, while the UVB tube only hits one side strongly since it's perpendicular to the bark. I use a 22" bulb as well so there is plenty of gradient elsewhere in the enclosure.

Ultimately though when she settles in to bask for a long stretch, it's more likely to be under the higher UVI. There are definitely options for basking where the heat is sufficient, without as much UV, and she picks the higher UVI. I'm only working on ~2.5 days of data though, so she might change her mind!

If anything 3 or higher is suitable, would it make sense to lower her basking spots and not even provide the higher UVI? It goes back to the question of if I can trust her to choose a healthy exposure out of plentiful options. Or will she pick a basking spot out of other factors (one bit of wood is slightly more comfy) and not care about potentially dangerous UV?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you can trust them to a degree, but you should still limit their options, or at least provide them multiple options. And you have to ask the questions, why?

Is she basking there because she likes that uvi level? Or is it because she likes the temperature it is right there. Or is it just because that's where her body fits the best.

Higher uvi levels are ok (up to 6 id say), as long as they are options that a dragon has and not its only choice.

For instance, a basking site at 5 and a basking site at 3 would be good assuming that both spots have the same temperature.

But let's say her preferred basking temp is 105. And the only spot in your tank that hot is the 5 or 6 uvi level spot. Well then she doesn't have a choice and that would not be an ideal situation.
In that case, you'd be better off lowering uvi to a lower safer level. But, if your tank is big enough for multiple spots, go for it.

I preach variety with the diet. Having options for basking is great too. :)

Hope that makes sense, I got kinda ramble-y and im typing this on my phone right now ha.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom