Rankins Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
I've noticed a few posts asking about Rankins Dragons, so since I was at our breeding center all day today I figured I'd snap some shots of our group of breeders that are being raised up for the upcoming breeding season. They are quite unique looking and distinct from beardies, and hopefully seeing some pics of a few of them can help others be sure that they have beardies. :)

A local Rankins breeder described the "color morphs" of Rankins as being much more subtle than beardies, and that there were really only 3 varieties he'd seen. He called them light (light brown/tan), dark (dark brown), and red (much less red than beardies). Up to you to decide what you feel each are - we're just raising them up at this point and have not started pairing them up yet. In a couple generations should be fun to see what comes out!

Subadult Rankins

Subadult in the hand to give you an idea of size - they're dinky!

That same Rankins, but perched on the wood

My personal favorite. I call him Ralph.

In case you wondered, Rankins dragons also give a very distinctive Stink Eye.

So those are Rankins and what they look like at 6 to 9" in length. They start out small, and stay small - still have voracious appetites, and are cared for like beardies, just much smaller and somewhat different looking.

-Jen

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
I don't understand the whole Rankins Dragons thing, at first I thought they were just a way to be ripped off into thinking your purchasing a Bearded Dragon. Are they in the same family or not? Or they related or just look alike? & WHY are they so expensive? I see online reptile stores that sell them for $230.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
RelentlessChaos":2pvoinlu said:
I don't understand the whole Rankins Dragons thing, at first I thought they were just a way to be ripped off into thinking your purchasing a Bearded Dragon. Are they in the same family or not? Or they related or just look alike? & WHY are they so expensive? I see online reptile stores that sell them for $230.

They are in the same family just a different sub group. I havent seen them too expensive actually compared to regular beardies they are cheap. www.beardeddragons.co sells them for $80

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
brittani299":hulgjv1y said:
RelentlessChaos":hulgjv1y said:

They are in the same family just a different sub group. I havent seen them too expensive actually compared to regular beardies they are cheap. http://www.beardeddragons.co sells them for $80

Hmm.. interesting. I personally wouldn't want one for some reason. That face... :p
Here is where I seen the $200 price tag.

Use the drop box.
http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/bearded-dragons/bearded-dragons-for-sale.html

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They're actually a different species - they mature at a much, MUCH smaller size and come from a different part of Australia. Beardies are Pogona vitticeps, Rankins are Pogona henrylawsoni. They're to beardies what donkeys are to horses - yes, they're similar...but not quite. :)

They are also much less prolific than beardies, and far less common in the US. Because there are much fewer of them around, they're more expensive.

-Jen

mparker

hi
was wondering if anyone could help (first time rankins owner)
i have 2 rankins about a year old and they have been housed together and have been perfectly fine. my brother used to have beardies amd although these dragons are similar their personalities are totally different.
Recently i noticed one of our rankins laying on top of the other . this is a sign of dominance in beardies but wonderd if it was different for rankins as ours seem perfectly fine together
Any suggestions?
sorry if tjeis makes no sense but any help or other information from rankin owners is muchly appreciated

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom