Raising the Temp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
I recently posted some questions about using a thermostat and realize this is not going to help my case. It is getting colder now and I am realizing that I will have troubles with my temps being consistant. It is only going to continue to drop. This is sort of long but im tring to be as through as possable. Here is from my previous discussion:

I only have a 55 gallon tank and a 250 Exoterra Cermaic Heater, I thought this would be way too hot but I had tried a 150 watt and it would only get 75 under the heater so had to change that situation right away. The viv is 18" high. Current temps are reasonable 90-103 in basking area which is starting to become a very very small area that the temps are in this range (he normal only hanges out in 95ish -100 deg area). Also, right under the heater it was only around 85-90! I would like the 100-105 to be a broader range and not just right under the beam of the MVB because he never sitts here!

(Others noted this is a crazy amount of heat for such a small viv and it should be working properly with sufficent heat. I agree! This is maddning! (and yes i have a good thermometer with a prob so temps are correct) It was also recommened that I can use a basking bulb durring the day and save the CHE for just night time.)

I think the problem is I have a very large room with like a 12' ceiling. So all the heat is going up and the room is only about 60-65 durring the winter. I do have a Zoo med heat basking bulb that I no longer use, so I can use that durring the day rather than the Ceramic heater then? His basking area on one end has a 125 watt Merc Solor Glo then right next to that is the ceramic heater. So can I use the Merc bulb and the other basking bulb at the same time then, it wont be too much?

The rest of the Viv is covered with wood to hold in heat (the basking area has a small screen). I also put just a 50 watt bulb at the cool end of the tank that rests inside in the corner where he can get into to it or anything. I would put a pic of the tank on here but I havent figured out how to do that. I know this seems crazy to me too! It seems like it is way too much but like I say the only thing I can think is the high celing and cool room. Here is a pic of the viv BTW:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2i0acz9.jpg

So last night I desided to switch the dome fixture the MVB was in and put the CHE in the Dome the MVB in the Wire to see what would happen and all seemed fine. I had asked others about this and they thought it would be fine. Also the Flukers box sayes for incandesent bulbs and CHE. However, the cord is very hot and is looking a tiny bit singed. I reposistioned it with the clamp holding the cord so that it is not touching the ceramic now. I am still conserned about using the CHE in the dome because the CHE instructions specifically say to use it only with the wire fixture or it is a fire hazard. Has anyone else used there heat emitter in deep dome? :banghead:

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Original Poster
raaaahhhh work picture!
2i0acz9.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
We have been using during the winter the wire clamp fixture like the packageing states but it allows to much of the heat to escape. I had to place foil above the heat emitter to hold the heat in. I've purchased extra domes regular not deep to try with the heat emitters this year.

I to would be interested in seeing what others have done to remidy this. :)

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Barb! Yeah the dome seems to be working in uping the temp for sure. Just conserned about how hot the cord is near the ceramic top. It is so strange that the fixture says that it is rated for bulbs and heaters but that the CHE instruction specifically say use only with the wire fixture.

I also need to keep and eye on the temps because it is getting hot Fo Sur! I may go ahead and get the thermostat so it shuts it off occasionally. It was 103-105 getting perfect exect for it now hot in the center of the tank not in the perch area to the far left of the pic. But thankfully he can go under the Wood which he was all over the tank today, so he can Thermoregular pretty well. Before he was getting kind cramped into one area because the rest was getting cold. Or he would just go under his long and sleep. I am not sure if it was due to the tmeps getting just slightly lower, or if he is trying to Brumate.

But it looks like i have my solution to gettign the temps up, just really unsure if that fixture is safe.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
But the fixture it's self is the same as the ones in the hoods. The only real difference is the on/off switch on the cord has a light on the basket type.......... and the hoods are porcelin. :roll:
I'm going to give it a try of course I will be watching it very closely.

We live in an old farm house with no central heat and air so it is impossible to keep my house at an even acceptible temp. Getting proper temps we have managed but it is truely a challenge, using wall shakers for cooling and wood burning stove for heating.

I'm sure that I've read somewhere on this site that they can be used with the hoods. But it was months back an I can't find it anymore.

Please keep me posted if you have any problems okay. :)

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh wow your heating problems sound way more complicated than mine Barb! Sounds quaint and cozy though in winter cuddeling up next to the fire drinking a toddy! Yeah the fixture ceramic part is the same, but one has a hood so the heat builds up in it and it is more directed toward the top. Tha tis why they made those open wire ones so heat wouldnt build up in the top but be dipersed equally reducing a fire hazzard. But hell these people in a lab didnt think about us cold roomed folks. :lol: But I have had it on all day and it seems to be working just fine. Two other people said they thought it was ok as well. i am actually think about writing Flukers and email just to make a final check.

Just as a note for you to consiter, last year I consitered putting that styrofoam building insulation around the back and side. It is that pink styrofoam that is really heavy duty for wall insulation, you get in large sheets at Home Depot or what ever. Very ugly, but we use to use that in our windows to keep the heat in. I swear every washington house Ive lived in has had poor windows and insulation costing $$$$ in heating bills so we cant turn the heat up to high. But I was consitering painting it to make it look nicer. You can only use a water based paint (if you try this) any oil based or spray paints will disinigrate the styrofoam. It is also fire resistant it is safe to use near our fixtures.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh! with the one i have with the hood (Dome lamp). The hood is metal. I havent seen a porcelin hood, they makes those? I have the flukers 250watt deep dome lamp. Also, you need a deep dome or the CHE will be hangin out the bottom. Mine just sitts about 1/2" inside of the rim, so the rim of the fixture is setting on the wire cage top. I think if it is sticking out and the CHE is touching anythign directly it could be very dangerious.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I actually have x-large sheets of styro foam in different thicknesses even. I have placed them over a couple of the windows in the past. We have the ancient counter balance window and they let in lots of cold air as well as letting out lots of warm air.

The hoods are metal but the ones we have are coated in porcelin on the inside. Kinda like grandma's old dishes or the old camping cups.

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Original Poster
OH I got ya. I think the little one in the corner with the regular household bulb is like that. It has a night glo reflector ish ness to it. Yeah prolly porcelin then.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Yeah the new ones have a glo in the dark coating, but yeah they are porcelin. Also mine have like 3 holes at the base of the hood that allows some of the heat out. So I'm trying one of the hoods tonight just to see how it goes on an empty viv. Wow I still have an empty viv? I need another beardie! :laughing6:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom