Questions about what I need for my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach7

Hatchling Member
Hello fellow beardie owners, My name is Zach and I am here to ask questions about a bearded dragon I will get soon. First off, my older brother owned a bearded dragon for around 4-6 years or more, and now I am interested in caring for one.

1) What type of surface should I use for my beardie? Sand, Reptile carpet, etc?
2)What type of heat lamp do I use, and How big should it be in proportion to the tank? At night when I sleep can I turn off the lights?
3)I know what food I should mainly feed them, but for a baby beardie, I feed them mostly insects correct?
4)If I take my beardie out to rest on my shoulder or take him out to give him some space, how long can I have him out before putting him back in the tank?

Im sorry for these detailed questions, but I would love some answers. Thank you, Zach

Zach7":1af67v8o said:
1) What type of surface should I use for my beardie? Sand, Reptile carpet, etc?
2)What type of heat lamp do I use, and How big should it be in proportion to the tank? At night when I sleep can I turn off the lights?
3)I know what food I should mainly feed them, but for a baby beardie, I feed them mostly insects correct?
4)If I take my beardie out to rest on my shoulder or take him out to give him some space, how long can I have him out before putting him back in the tank?
1) A popular flooring, and one that I use, is tiles. You can get vinyl, ceramic, or slate tiles, and ideally cut them to fit inside a glass tank. It's best to get one with some texture so that the bearded dragon doesn't just slide all over. Tiles are extremely easy to clean which is very important. I had a reptile carpet for a little while but cleaning it was very difficult. I also tried sand on one side and tiles on the other, but the dragon would kick the sand all over the tank and make a huge mess. Additionally, somehow he managed to fill his water bowl with sand.
2) Using any flood light bulb with a proper wattage to fit your enclosure. You can use bulbs from the pet store, or just use them from Walmart or anywhere. The purpose of the heat bulb is only to provide heat. In addition to the heat bulb you must have a UVB bulb. The popular choice for UVB is the ReptiSun 10.0. Alternatively, you could buy a Mercury Vapor Bulb such as a the ZooMed PowerSun. The Mercury Vapor Bulb provides both heat and UVB so you would need only one bulb. At night you must turn off all the lights. If the temperature in the tank is dropping below 65 F at night then you must supplement it with ideally a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE), or alternatively a heat mat, or an infrared bulb. CHE are ideal because they do not give off any visible light.
3) Young bearded dragons eat a lot food, and mostly insects, yes. Tiny roaches and tiny crickets are a good choice. Despite his age, the young bearded dragon I care for enjoys greens as well so he is fed those too.
4) This one I'm not entirely sure. When I first handled the bearded dragon he was very skittish and wanted to return to his cage. Now he still wants to return, but he is much more settled. I try to handle him for at least 30 minutes each day, which is partly covered by feedings since he is fed 2-3 times a day. Be sure to wash your hands after touching any reptile and clean off any surfaces they have touched. Some people might let a reptile rest on their shoulder or their carpet, but I would not recommend this as they do carry salmonella. The disease is particularly dangerous to small children or the elderly, but can cause problems for people of all ages. When a reptiles defecates it doesn't wipe or wear clothing, so when you handle them or when they sit on your shoulder their vent and area around the vent inevitably touches you. If the reptile is carrying salmonella, then whatever it touches now has bacteria on it (as well as fecal matter). Although rare, over 1,000 people in the United States have died from Salmonella since 1990. I clean the area around the bearded dragon tank with a bleach solution to hopefully decrease the bacteria nearby.

Zach7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This provided a lot of needed information for my beardie, thank you for typing all this out. I am so excited to care for a bearded dragon :blob5:

I also posted a topic in Feeding section maybe have a look at that if you have time.

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
That was good info, just a couple things.... Do not use an infrared bulb, Beardies can see all colors and need darkness at night, so if the temps is too low at night the only solution is a CHE (ceramic heat emitter).
There really is no need to have a water dish in his enclosure either as they typically do not drink from standing water and it will raise the humidity in the enclosure as well, which is not good for Beardies. Make sure to give him a bath a few times a week and he will get all the hydration he needs that way.
As for the handling, feel free to play with, cuddle and hold your dragon as much as you want or as much as he wants. You should wash your hands before and after handling but there is no need to be overly paranoid about it.

Zach7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay I knew about the water, but thanks for the Infrared bulb info, and Can you have a look at my topic in the feeding section?

Mediabandit":1wwjv2nh said:
That was good info, just a couple things.... Do not use an infrared bulb, Beardies can see all colors and need darkness at night, so if the temps is too low at night the only solution is a CHE (ceramic heat emitter).
I personally use the Zilla Night Black Heat Incandescent Bulb which came with the Zilla Deluxe Bearded Dragon habitat. If the bearded dragon can see the light from it, he doesn't mind it because the second the lights go out and infrared comes on the beardie walks to his sleeping corner, digs a little, then goes to sleep. I've never seen him wake up during the night either, but when the lights come on in the morning he opens his eyes within a few seconds and is ready to bask. Even if the bulb gives off some light (minimal), I would think that it's not a huge problem because nighttime in Australia is probably littered with stars and the moon.

*EDIT* I think the bulb I use is not actually infrared. The bulb's description states:
The night bulb is coated with rare earth black phosphors, which simulates the moon's natural glow for nocturnal viewing without disturbing the reptile's day/night cycle.
I can't say whether infrared is clearly bad, but the Night Black Heat bulb appears to work great for me.

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
No lights are recommended for nightime, no red, blue black or anything along those lines, the only thing recommended for nightime heat is a CHE. If you do not have any issues that is great but they are still not recommended and the kits you buy have pretty much all the wrong stuff in them for Beardies. If you bought a kit are you also using the incorredt UVB bulb? The only 2 UVB bulbs that are recommended are the Repti-Sun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% tube bulbs, coils and compacts are known to cause eye issues as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom