Ques from a new owner. Need ideas, suggestions, help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandiGelmin

Hi everyone. We just purchased our new baby yesterday. We have never owned a beardie before but my daughter saw one in the pet store and fell in love with the little guy. We didn't get a lot of great info from the store we purchased him from so we have tons of questions.
We bought a 20 gallon tank with carpet. We have a cave, a stick for laying on and a water dish (necessary?) We purchased a 100w infrared spot lamp for night and 100w for day. (too strong??) What should the temp of the tank be during the day? How small do I need to cut up the greens? What supplements are necessary? How and when do I give him a bath? How often should I give him crickets? Should I give him mealworms? What about pellets? (guy at pet store said they don't like the pellets) Also I keep reading about calcium. How do they get their calcium? Thanks so much everyone!

jfm08

Hatchling Member
Pesonally i would have started out with a 40-55 gallon tank.... but the 20 for do for a while till he grows :) As far as the infrared light goes there is really no need for one unless your house gets into the 50's at night... A 100 watt is not too strong in fact i think it will work perfectly for the little one (Sahara's 75 watt was way too weak) Spiff has a 150 Watt and he is fine... Basking Temp should be from 95-110 degrees for the little one i would target in the (90-100 range) The cool side would be in the 80-85 also did you purchase a UVB bulb if not you should set his enclosure by a window and let him receive the UV rays he needs in order to stay acting healthy and normal.... The water dsh is your decision i bathe Spiff and Sahara 2-3x a week and they get all they need then.... NEVER ASSIST IN SHEDDING lol random i know but it can severely harm your dragon. A cave i used to have one until crickets hid in it ugh so i dont like caves... Calcium dusters are at your local pet shop u just put the crickets in dust em and wall-a.... I would not recommend sand for your little one just yet it could cause impaction :( But thats about it unless i forgot a q lol Good Luck keep us posted and welcome

jfm08

Hatchling Member
ahh the amounts thats wat i forgot lol since it is still young (im assuming) offer it food 2-3x a day how ever much it will eat in 15 mins and offer greens but it will not necessarily go for your greens it will prefer crickets for quite a while

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
Please read the care sheets here and also on beautifuldragons.org. They have a comprehensive list of foods that beardies can have. They also have other information too. Please get a uvb (non compact) either a tube or a mercury vapor bulb for your little one. I would ditch the night time light as it might keep them up at night.

Enjoy your little one!
Robin

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
About the temps. I assume your new family member is a baby. For babies, I've read the temps should be closer to 110, taken with either a digital thermometer with probe or a temp gun. I use the accurite with probe for $12.00 from Walmart. Ask one of their employees where to find them as every store seems to be different. This thermometer has 2 readings, one where the housing is (put it on the cool side of the tank) and one from where you put the probe, which you put on the basking spot, black side up. It also gives you a humidity reading.

damien6210

Hatchling Member
hi welcome. i would suggest that you buy a megaray bulb it gives u both uvb and uva ,also it gives off heat so u dont need to buy two bulbs i would suggest that u would've bought bigger tank as they grow realy fast and he will out grow that tank soon and about the feeder (food). Do you like roaches mm dragons do and its a good investment on your part as there are easy to breed and are healthier. They are a better meat to shell ratio and cleaner then crickets. Also u will need calcium supplements ,if ur using a light that gives off uvb u will need to buy one that dosent have d3 in it.
having a dragon is like having another kid they need so much But there worth it good luck if u have any more ? feel free to ask we all would love to help u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom