Purchasing an under-the-counter fluorescent fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Okay, cool.

So if I wanted to keep it on top of the mesh, how much uvb would the mesh theoretically block?

And would mounting it on the underside of the mesh cause the mesh to eventually cave in on itself? The light fixture looks fairly hefty.

I've been checking out the Zoo Med 26053 Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood, 24" on amazon, and the reviews are saying it comes with a 5.0 bulb. Should I make the switch to the 10.0, or try the 5.0?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
What are you using for a heating lamp? Also you will need to replace the t5 bulbs yearly, and if I'm correct the t8 need to be changed every 6 moths. So that is a consideration as well. The reason is uvb bulbs degrade over time. Man. Just realized I got one bulb that needs to be changed out. Time to find another. Forgot where I got mine now. I think it was 15 dollars at petco website.
Some say screens block 30% of uvb coming off.

arcadia1216

Original Poster
I'm using the 100w Repti basking spot lamp from ZooMed; it came in the kit that petsmart sold me. So far it's been giving me the correct temp on both sides of the tank and I use a digital thermometer that gives accurate readings as well to check temps.

If I theoretically chose to sit the fixture on top of the mesh, my beardie still wouldn't be getting the proper amount of uvb light even with the t5 bulb?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
How tight is the mesh? Can you post a pic of it. Uvb is a weird animal. If you put plastics between bulb and tank you would get no uvb. Even using some glasses uvb will not penetrate it. Super fine insect style screen in your windows, you get maybe 10% uvb through it. Loose screen on my 20 gallon tank I get 60% uvb pass through.

Edit
If you are looking at the zoo med good I linked earlier that is a t5 hood. It will not accept a t8 bulb

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Okay, this is what the mesh looks like. Sorry for the flash, it's night time here and my beardie is asleep in his plant so i didn't want to turn on more lights.
full

Up close it looks pretty sturdy, and I did keep the dual dome fixture that came with the tank on top of the tank for a few days while we were testing the lights so it can hold some weight.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
You should be good with a uvb on top of that. It's not as open as the screen on my 20 gallon, but it doesn't look like house window screen either. I would do the zoomed hood. A sun blaster won't sit well on a screen compared to zoomed, but sun blaster is small a light and could be easily attached under screen.

Edit.
I wish pet store would start selling proper setups for new beardie owners. Terrible how they rope people in with a lot of useless stuff that isn't proper for beardies.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
I don't see why you couldn't mount the zoomed under the screen. You may have to get creative on how the hood gets attached. Ie you may have to get small picture hanging wire to wrap around the hood with it held tight to the screen. Then you would need to measure to see how far up from the bottom of the tank to the light, and the base your basking area off this measurement.

I know with a sun blaster you will instantly lose 3 inches, so an 18 inch tank depth becomes 15 inches, so basking area would be 3-4 inches off bottom using 10.0 bulb

arcadia1216

Original Poster
You're right. At the time when I bought the kit a few months ago, it seemed like an incredible deal but now I see that really the only usable things in the kit are the tank, the basking light and the food dishes. I'm thankful that I can ask my questions on here and receive great information.

With that said I really appreciate all the tips and info everyone has given me! I'll be sure to post pics of the set up once I get the new light in. :D

arcadia1216

Original Poster
I received my sunblaster t5 ho fixture in the mail today, and here it is on my tank! I ended up buying the t5 10.0 light because my beardie's other basking platform is approximately 14 inches from the light. I will have to probably buy a slightly taller basking platform to really get the most use out of the light which won't be an issue.

My only question now is how to mount this? It's sitting on top of the mesh right now but if there's a way to mount it inside the tank that'd be cool.

Edit: I'm thinking of using command hooks to loop wire or zip ties through the holes and tie them to the hooks?

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can use zip ties or wire to suspend it from the mesh.

If you use zip ties I'd replace them monthly or every other month out of an abundance of caution. The uv will degrade the plastic in the zip ties and make them brittle over time.

How close will it be to your new basking surface now if you mount inside?

-Brandon

arcadia1216

Original Poster
I'm guessing the light underneath the mesh will take away another 2-3 inches so it'll be 11-12 inches below the light if he uses that same grey platform. Obviously once I mount it I'll take an accurate measurement to be 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom