Purchasing an under-the-counter fluorescent fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Yeah, that's totally my bad; I got everyone mixed up and thought someone else sent me the links when actually you sent me those links. Like I said, my apologies for the mix up and confusion! I was looking at a link of a fixture that Brandon had posted on a completely different topic.

So what I'm getting at here is that you're saying to go with the t5 with mounting it on top of the tank while Brandon says either would work? So my question now is what should I do? I already have a t8 bulb on the way and would rather just try and make it work because my beardie has been using a uvb coil light since we got him Saturday and at this point I really just want to get him into the best light situation asap.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
The best is t5, you can also pop off the reflector and it will drop uvb output. But if you got with a t8 fixture you will need to find some one to wire a cord to it as all the ones I find have no power cord and also a lot bulkier of a fixture.
I'll post some pics of my tanks

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Yes please! That would be incredibly helpful.

I'm beginning to see that you're right (thank you for being patient with me haha I'm new to all of this) so I will just send the t8 bulb back and buy the t5. The t5 will give him the uvb light he needs?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
101451-8435288048.jpg
Hurricane enjoying the last of her light before bed.

101451-6778461812.jpg
You can see halogen 38 watt par38 bulb

101451-5704501141.jpg
Mirrored setup for the adjoining tank.

No problem. Just wanna make sure you get the right stuff and the proper info. I was in you place a year ago and have learned tons since.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
My main tank is 8x2x2 with a center wall making two 4x2x2 tanks. The cool thing with sun blaster lights is you can daisy chain them together. One power cord, multiple light.

Also my lights are 11 inches about my highest basking platform

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Thanks for the pictures, they really helped!

I guess I'm wondering now about the set up of my tank with the new t5 bulb; doesn't it have to be farther away than 6-8 inches due to it being far more powerful than the t8? So it should be at least 12 inches away from the highest point of the basking area correct?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Like mentioned, both bulbs will be adequate you just have to use them right. The only difference between the two is the t5 is effective at greater differences. Other than that their is no difference, they both put out the same uv rays :)

You can do the t8 inside the tank.
You can do the t5 ontop of the mesh.
Or like mentioned, you can do the t5 5.0 inside of the tank.

All three options give you pretty much the same result.

The confusion comes from the thought that the t5 is a better bulb in the sense that it provides things the t8 doesnt. And that's just not true. The only difference is their effective working distance. A t8 is the best bulb in many situations. And the t5 is the best bulb in many situations. You pick the setup that works best for your setup.

1 t8 at 6 inches pretty much does the exact same thing as a t5 at 12 inches or so.

So if you can return the bulb easy enough, you might want to go the t5 route. But if not, I'd just use the t8. It works fine for your setup.

-Brandon

arcadia1216

Original Poster
That's what so confusing to me right now; if the uvb lights don't work 100% through the mesh screens, what's the best way for me to make it work should I go with the t5 light and fixture? I don't mind using either option, really; I just need to know that my new bearded dragon is getting the uvb light he needs to be healthy.

Which brings me to my next question (sorry haha) about how to effectively mount the t5 tube light so that it provides the most efficient source of uvb light to my dragon?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
hey brandon.
The op issue is finding a fixture for the t8.
The t8 bulb are 1990 technology and as you say work good a 6 inches.
T5 bulbs are current technology and way more powerful compared to t8 and less energy to run as well. Yes t5 will cover a greater distance due to being more powerful. Hence can be place further away.
Giving the tank is only 18 inches being a 40 gallon breeder and you lose 2inches once the light is mounted, you know have a small window of 4 inches that can be up off the ground for the platform height when using a t5 10 bulb.
If you drop to a t5 5 bulb you can get about 6-7 off ground for platform basking height.

T8 bulb fixture will require op to have some wiring skills or know someone that could wire in a power cord for it.

T5 comes with a power cord and daisy chain cord which is much nicer and several different mounting clip types that mount the light. The op would want to use the clips with the hole in then to pass zip ties or wire of some sort to allow attachment to the under side of the screen top, as she doesn't want the light to sit on the top of the screen.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know it can get confusing but just realize that all the options I gave you are suitable. The screen does cut down some, but that gets used to your advantage in this case. That's why I said just match the bulb to your situation. All of those options will work because all of those options I gave you give you a basking level UVI of around 3-5.

All of those options do that.. so pick whichever method works best for you.

A t8 inside the tank with a reflector at 6-8 inches away: 3-5 uvi
A t5 10.0 on tip of the mesh at 8 or so inches away: 3-5 uvi
A t5 5.0 inside the tank at 6ish inches away: 3-5 uvi.

Does that help clear it up?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Scion19801":3pw1fqun said:
hey brandon.
The op issue is finding a fixture for the t8.
The t8 bulb are 1990 technology and as you say work good a 6 inches.
T5 bulbs are current technology and way more powerful compared to t8 and less energy to run as well. Yes t5 will cover a greater distance due to being more powerful. Hence can be place further away.
Giving the tank is only 18 inches being a 40 gallon breeder and you lose 2inches once the light is mounted, you know have a small window of 4 inches that can be up off the ground for the platform height when using a t5 10 bulb.
If you drop to a t5 5 bulb you can get about 6-7 off ground for platform basking height.

T8 bulb fixture will require op to have some wiring skills or know someone that could wire in a power cord for it.

T5 comes with a power cord and daisy chain cord which is much nicer and several different mounting clip types that mount the light. The op would want to use the clips with the hole in then to pass zip ties or wire of some sort to allow attachment to the under side of the screen top, as she doesn't want the light to sit on the top of the screen.

You can very easily find t8 fixtures that you dont need to wire up yourself. Just the same as t5s. And t5s have been out just about as long as t8 fixtures. Just not necessarily in our reptile world. Incandescents are old technology too, but they still work good for us. Just like t8s can still work good depending on your setup. Just like t5s can be a bad choice depending on your setup.

Its really quite simple. you pick whichever bulb and fixture produce what you need for your tank and your specific situation.

Once again, there is absolutely nothing that a t5 bulb offers that a t8 bulb doesnt also offer. The only difference is their strength. And since more isnt always better, especially when it comes to harmful uv radiation, you have to take into account what setup allows you to achieve a basking level UVI of around 3-5.

And like I mentioned, I gave examples of how to get that range from all the possible bulbs being discussed here.

-Brandon

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
If you get the sunblaster t5 it will come with two different sets of clips. Use these ones:
101451-7065557786.jpg
Basically run a zip ties of small wire through the hole of the clip and through the screen top and twist it tight.

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Is there a link available for a fixture that's compatible with a t8 tube light? One preferably that doesn't require any fancy wiring skills and that can plug into my timer?

About the t5 lights, what we're saying here if I go with the t5 10.0 light, I'd have about 4 inches to play with as far as basking platforms go? Meaning the basking platform can only be 4 inches or shorter to be safe with the 10.0?

But if I go with the 5.0, I'd have around 6-8 inches to work with?

And to make this work in the best way, I can mount the fixture using the clips provided and zip ties to attach it to the underside of the mesh?

Speaking of which, why are there people saying the 10.0 is better than the 5.0 if they do pretty much the same thing?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
arcadia1216":2oyy76s3 said:
Is there a link available for a fixture that's compatible with a t8 tube light? One preferably that doesn't require any fancy wiring skills and that can plug into my timer?

About the t5 lights, what we're saying here if I go with the t5 10.0 light, I'd have about 4 inches to play with as far as basking platforms go?
yes
Meaning the basking platform can only be 4 inches or shorter to be safe with the 10.0?
yes

But if I go with the 5.0, I'd have around 6-8 inches to work with?
yes

And to make this work in the best way, I can mount the fixture using the clips provided and zip ties to attach it to the underside of the mesh?
yes

Speaking of which, why are there people saying the 10.0 is better than the 5.0 if they do pretty much the same thing?
because they are marketed for different environments. The say 10.0 for desert, and 5.0 for lizards of I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom