Puff and friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's been a few months since Puff has come into my life. Within this time I have also added two new beardies to the fam.
Puff has been placed in a 40 breeder with no top. It has a clamp lamp with her basking light (used a brooder light for both the babies and for her) and inside the tanks I attached a regular "under cabinet" fixture with industrial strength Velcro to hold their reptisun 10.0 UVB.
The two babies, Ozzie and Harriet are in Puffs old tank for now, until they get bigger and I upgrade them as well.
They also now have tile flooring instead of the newspaper I was using.
But here's the thing.. Puff keeps banging. And banging. And trying to move the tiles. Idk what to do. My downstairs neighbors already complained once. They always complain about EVERYTHING. (Their animals are "petrified" of the banging. Well if they weren't such spazzes, their animals wouldn't pick up their vibes and act that way.. Anywho) so idk how to make her stop banging. It's not about food cus she does it all the time. The temps right. She gets weekly baths. She's on a proper diet now. Idk. It didnt start until about a week after I switched, but she did used to dig at the newspaper, but it really didnt make much noise. Now this all echoes and even wakes me up in the other room. Everyone's lights are on timers. Idk.
So I take her out. And she hangs out. It could be that, but I really can't have her doing it when I'm not here and disturbing the neighbors.
Any ideas?
Oh and also I've uploaded pics to photobucket but I forgot how to post on here. I want to show my babies off :)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
how old is puff?
usually when females start to dig at everything they want to lay eggs. if she is less than a year old that may not be the case.
if she just likes to dig you should set up and area for her to dig so she doesn't make as much noise.

as for the neighbors complaining, i hear ya. our old downstairs neighbors had kids. we got to hear the screaming and jumping. i could only imagine what they heard from us :/

try taking out the tiles for now. maybe rip up some paper towels and put them in a corner to see if she digs those instead.

PixieChix

Original Poster
Puff is older than 6. Only 19" though.
And I have the tiles in for heat, should I only keep the ones on the basking side?
And with the stuff to dig, should I give her a sand box?

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
maybe it would be best to set up a lay bin and put her in there when she starts to scratch.

you will need a tote bin, the bigger the better. plastic.
fill it with digging material. you can use just sand. or i use a dirt and sand mix with moss. dirt must be fertilizer free, i just got the bricks of it from a pet store. you can get play sand from almost anywhere, like toys r us or home depot. moss is also available at a pet store if you want it.

you need to make the mixture wet. it has to be wet enough that you can form tunnels without them collapsing.

try to push a lot of the mixture to one side so she can dig down. it should be about a foot high. i found it best to make a large hill on one side and compress it down.

here is a link for more information on lay boxes and eggs.
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=166108

PixieChix

Original Poster
The article says that she will stop eating prior to the egg laying.. But she's been eating really well lately..

PixieChix

Original Poster
So I have the tote with the sand and the basking light and she keeps trying to jump out gonna remove some of the sand and put it in a smaller container to put in her cage to see if she will do anything with that.
I spoke to the person who used to own her and she said that puff has not been known to lay eggs before... But she was on sand.
Also
When all is said and done, can I reuse the sand box for next time? Or when the babies lay?

PixieChix

Original Poster
So no eggs and she still keeps trying to get out.
Gave her a bath today and she pooped and floated and relaxed.
Now she's acting like a crazy trying to climb out.. Idk what I could be doing wrong.
Also today, gave the babies their first taste of banana, and they loved it.
Now Harriet has a nice round fat belly. Ozzie was more interested in the mealworms and not as fat.

PixieChix

Original Poster
These pix were taken a few weeks ago after I changed their flooring from newpaper to tile

Miss Puff

Their setup

Harriet

Ozzie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
By looking at the top of Puff's head, she looks a little dehydrated. How often do you bathe her? Will she drink oral fluids?

What are her tank temps, basking & cool side? When you ck with the probe thermometer, are you making sure that the probe is actually touching the basking log or rock & then waiting 45 min to an hr for the temps to stop rising before getting the final readings?

PixieChix

Original Poster
I bathe her and the babies weekly. I just started misting them daily since I didn't know you had to do that. She gets moistened greens daily.
Right now according to the thermometer in there it's 92° on the basking side.
Tomorrow I will do temp monitoring with the probe thermometer on the cool side, but I just stuck it on the basking side since I'm leaving in like 45mins for work. I'll let you know that temp in a bit. But my room temp is set at 73°.
And no, she won't drink. When I got her back in March, for her first bath (ever, I was told) she drank right up.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the response. It actually would be better if you could bathe them at least 3 times a wk for about 15 to 20 minutes. Misting is good but not as beneficial as a bath and misting shouldn't be done while they are in their tanks as it can raise the humidity too much which can cause an upper respiratory infection. (I apologize if you are already aware of this.)

The probe end needs to be placed right on (touching) the basking log or rock, if the probe is suspended in the air at all, you won't get an accurate reading. A basking temp of 92 isn't hot enough to allow for proper digestion. Or, are you talking about a 92 reading of just the hot side?

To encourage her to drink, you could offer 100% juices (no sugar added) like cherry, grape, apple or cranberry. Dilute with 3 parts water to 1 part juice. My beardies love cherry juice. Just something that I thought might help.

Yes, let us know what temps end up being. Thanks.

PixieChix

Original Poster
Basking temp ended up being only 84.something..
I'm getting another clamplamp and bulb tomorrow.
I also put coconut oil on their skin (just gave everyone baths).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom