Prolapsed, vet put it back in--what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

discojan

Juvie Member
Dear BD community,

We are very worried about our big girl Electra. She prolapsed today while pooping in her viv, thankfully she went to the vet right away, and the vet was able to get it back inside and put two small stitched on each side of her vent. She's been laying a lot of (infertile) eggs. Four clutches so far this season, most recently laid one of 30 eggs last week. We are a bit worried she might have one more clutch to go , though the vet didn't feel any eggs today.

I'm just starting to do some research, and I see that sometimes it can be connected to low calcium levels. Should we be asking the vet to put her on liquid calcium in the meantime to get her strength back?

Any information you can provide will be very greatly appreciated. A worried lizard momma, J

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the bump...I'm just worried sick...Trying to read around on the past forums for clues. Thankfully, we have a fabulous vet who met Electra within 30 minutes of being notified of the situation, and within an hour the prolasped colon was back in. Electra is now convalescing on a heating pad under direct supervisions, but wow are we worried...

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I'm a worry wort myself so I understand your stress. Just the thought of eggs scares me to death! I hope someone who knows more will come along soon. If not, you can always PM one of the moderators. They're great! :wink:

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Now we are terrified. Our baby girl prolaspsed again, despite the stitches. We brought her back to the vet, and they put the prolapse back and soutured the vent shut so she can sleep through the night and so it will stay put, they want us to bring her back in the morning for monitoring and hten they want to put an endoscope down. They were worried, because part of the prolapse was a darker red, indicating (acc. to vet), decreased blood flow. We are very, very worried, please , does anyone have experience with this kind of horrible multiple prolaspe?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry to hear of Electra's prolapses. While I have no direct experience with them, I would assume that a soft diet and good hydration will help matters. Turkey or chicken mixed with squash or green bean baby food dropped on her nose with a dropper would be good. You can mix her calcium and vitamins in with it. You can also offer her water, (flavored with unsweetened juice, if necessary) with the dropper.
Sending positive thoughts your way, Esther

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Esther...The vet put a suture on her, so her colon will stay put through the night, and told us not to feed her for 24 hrs. We are also going to get a second opinion in the morning. Thank you for the positive thoughts, we are praying praying for Electra's full and speedy recovery. We adopted her almost 2 years ago, and we feel instantly in love--she is such a big part of our lives, and we hope she has a speedy recovery.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jan,

Sorry to hear about Electra prolapsing! That is too bad.
Liquid calcium may help her if she is low in calcium. Have you had a fecal done on her too, just to make sure she doesn't have any worms or parasites?
Let us know how she is doing.
How old is your UVB light?

Tracie

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Well, Electra has been under vet supervision all day. She arrived in the morning at a second vet (one with more reptile experience). He suggested the second prolapse might be due to swelling from the first one. She was on an anti-inflammatory all night, and she slept thru the night and woke a bit dopey from the drugs, but by the time she made it to the vet, she was alert and tracking things with her eyes, happy colors until the vet handled her (who says lizards don't have good memory?). They took out the suture that had closed her vent up over night, and now we're waiting to pick her up at 5pm and hear how her day went.

Her light is just coming up on six months old, so we're ordering new ones (but we're very diligent about replacing them every six months--that last light went in in Feb). She hasn't been outside as much this season, but that's the only change from last year when she also did an awful lot of laying. Do you have any experience with spaying? That is something the first vet mentioned. It makes me nervous, because they have go under anashtetic, but I'm also worried about her pushing out another clutch. We're not sure if she's got one more in her this season. Also, how long does it usually take for them to recover from prolapse?

She hasn't had a fecal since her check up last Sept, but all was clear then. If you think it is worth looking into, we can definitely ask. She has laid four clutches this season, one about every 2-3 weeks--26, 33, 30, 29 eggs each--that's a lot of pushing (most recent clutch laid last week), and she's going to be five years old in August.

WE're just worried and anxious and sending her all our love and healing energy and asking everyone we know to do the same. Thanks for checking in on us, and you too Esther--it helps to know the beardie community is also thinking of our beloved girl.

With the strongest wishes for r'fua shl'ama ( a full and speedy recovery),
J

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, Electra is back home. She spent the day hanging out at the vet's, and she passed some urine without prolapsing while she was there. They removed the stitches and sent her home. She happily ate a few butterworms upon her return, and is now convalescing. We hope she continues to feel better, and be able to poop normally in her bath without prolasping. Fingers crossed. New bulbs are on their way....

jsnsan

Juvie Member
That is good to hear. I have no experience with this. I'm a new beardie Mom.
How scary that must have been. Keep us posted with her progress.

discojan

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh no, we typed too soon. She passed a bowel movement and prolaspsed again. I feel so terribly helpless, she's back on her way to the vet now. PLease send prayers...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Discojan, I feel so bad to hear what's happening. I wonder if your would vet put a suture on each end of her vent and left them for a bit, and you don;t feed her for a few days, I think that may help. Beardies can go very long periods of time without food, so 4-5 days with no food and hopefully no urge to poo may let those muscles tighten up. For that matter, cooling her a little bit may reduce all body functions, almost [ but not as cool ] as brumation. If she slows down her metabolism, she may give her body the break needed to heal. I would strongly suggest no food for at least 4-5 days and just a little water with calcium via syringe [ no bath if that's where she is used to having b.m's ] Even if you decide not to reduce temps., I would stop all food for a short time, not even critical care, but just a wee bit of water and calcium. I've had a 5 year old female lay 7 clutches, and it didn't do any harm, so hopefully your girl will get through this and regain her health. Maybe you can discuss these suggestions with your vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom